Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dynamic Interactions likely to be fixed?  (Read 795 times)

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dynamic Interactions likely to be fixed?
« on: September 11, 2020, 01:37:15 pm »

I miss when dwarves could become friends with eachother nd interact with eachother without being locked in a room with no work.
Do you think this bug is likely tobe fixed for the steam release?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dynamic Interactions likely to be fixed?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 05:44:49 pm »

Was fixed. Dwarves actively seek each other out in taverns now instead of trying to socialize by themselves.

Also, Future of the Fortress thread is for questions which you want Toady to see. He won't notice this.

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 07:47:13 pm »

Was fixed. Dwarves actively seek each other out in taverns now instead of trying to socialize by themselves.

Also, Future of the Fortress thread is for questions which you want Toady to see. He won't notice this.
Wait what?! When did this happen? I checked in like a few months ago and it was still a problem.
They only seek eachother out in taverns? What about while in there houses or working in close proximity like the old days? I want my dwarves to go back to having vibrant social lives and a wide veriety of interactions, getting married, having rivals, comitting crimes, breaking oaths, taking slaves, all that good social juiciness.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 02:18:47 am »

No, it wasn't fixed, but it was improved slightly. In meeting type areas dorfs now seek out clusters rather than spread out evenly, and thus interact a bit more with others, but they still don't target individuals, so they still won't walk over to the friend or family member at the other side of the tavern, but continue to socialize with the visitors, while complaining about missing friends and family. They are still clueless when it comes to gaining friends and partners (as that would require identifying prospective ones, which I don't think they do at all, and then seek them out).

The improvement results in fewer dorfs with no acquaintances, and a bit more acquaintances per dorf, but I haven't seen any change in the number of friends.

I think this issue is on the table for another pass for the Premium release, but even if it is, that's not any guarantee it would be one of the comparatively few issues that can be addressed.

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 11:54:02 am »

No, it wasn't fixed, but it was improved slightly. In meeting type areas dorfs now seek out clusters rather than spread out evenly, and thus interact a bit more with others, but they still don't target individuals, so they still won't walk over to the friend or family member at the other side of the tavern, but continue to socialize with the visitors, while complaining about missing friends and family. They are still clueless when it comes to gaining friends and partners (as that would require identifying prospective ones, which I don't think they do at all, and then seek them out).

The improvement results in fewer dorfs with no acquaintances, and a bit more acquaintances per dorf, but I haven't seen any change in the number of friends.

I think this issue is on the table for another pass for the Premium release, but even if it is, that's not any guarantee it would be one of the comparatively few issues that can be addressed.
I personally would make it a priority before premium just cause its sort of an essential aspect to having the game be completely functional, once its fixed i could play DF without anything hampering my experience again... this issue has been in for many years now. I know toady is verybusy and theres alot to do for this upcoming release so i dont think bug fixes are neccesarily top billing at the moment.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2020, 01:31:18 pm »

Equipment corruption...

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 05:04:44 pm »

I personally would make it a priority before premium just cause its sort of an essential aspect to having the game be completely functional, once its fixed i could play DF without anything hampering my experience again... this issue has been in for many years now. I know toady is verybusy and theres alot to do for this upcoming release so i dont think bug fixes are neccesarily top billing at the moment.
Bug fixes are part of the Steam update. Take a listen to some of the recent interviews on what the plan is (not that things will go to plan, but still).
And yeah, crashing and save corruption are quite a bit higher priority than grumpy dwarves. But hopefully both will get some kind of look in.

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 06:06:26 pm »

Equipment corruption...
Didnt know about that one!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2020, 03:11:34 am »

Equipment corruption...
Didnt know about that one!
Typically called raid equipment corruption, but I've suffered it without sending anyone out (apart from exile, where they don't return).
For some reason(s) the data supplying the military equipment lists gets corrupted, which is visible by going through each of the equipment categories, selecting specific equipment, and then go to the bottom of the list. When the data is corrupted you'll find nonsensical things there, typically early artifact "books". DF will crash when trying to check for militia equipment not long thereafter.
The crashes started when raiding was introduced, although they weren't identified until after Toady had started on the next cycle (the 0.47.x one). Attempts to address the crashes were done with 0.47.x, but those bug fixes didn't manage to remove all cases.
There's no known way to fix a corruption, as the DFHack community hasn't been able to identify where the corruption resides (it's not in the normal item lists). The only way to avoid the crash in a fortress is to disband all militia and never appoint any ever again (this assumes the corruption can't happen to civilian "uniforms" for hunters, miners, and woodcutters). It's been guessed that retire/reclaim might clear corruption, but I haven't seen any reports of anyone trying.