Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What is this cat doing?  (Read 1366 times)

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
What is this cat doing?
« on: September 13, 2020, 01:56:27 pm »

The cat flashing yellow:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The stray cat (no owner) has been standing on a slab that's engraved to one of our dead enemies, which was some kind of non-dwarf but I can't determine what race.  What is the cat doing?

But of course, the bigger question is where can I find a resource that tells all the flashing color meanings?

I see this on the wiki, but can't find more info.

P.S.  I wish more info was available on the dead !!!
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
Re: What is this cat doing?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 02:07:51 pm »

I neglected to notice that the cat is chained.  So the flashing is probably something to do with that, but what?
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 03:23:18 pm »

I would guess something health related. Are there any notes on his wound screen?

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 05:15:01 pm »

Nope, perfect health and not hungry or thirsty.
Maybe she's in heat, lol.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 05:59:27 pm »

Some health info doesn't show on the in-game screen. Normally you could go to Therapist for extra health info, but it doesn't cover animals. You could try DFHack's show-unit-syndromes. Or you could try full-heal to demonstrate that it's health related.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 06:54:25 pm »

Looking at the wiki: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Status_icon...

My guess is that there's more than one cat on that tile and at least on of them is prone (i.e. lying on the ground).

Either that or you have the (d)ig menu open and the tile with the slab designated for something...
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2020, 06:56:44 pm »

Looking at the wiki: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Status_icon...

My guess is that there's more than one cat on that tile and at least on of them is prone (i.e. lying on the ground).
This is what I figured too, but I'm not completely sure, because it looks like it's blinking faster than normal for that.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2020, 07:07:12 pm »

This is what I figured too, but I'm not completely sure, because it looks like it's blinking faster than normal for that.

Might be a difference it the speed the gif is playing back at.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2020, 07:33:24 pm »

Might be a difference it the speed the gif is playing back at.
If you look, a prone dwarf at the top of the screen is blinking much more slowly.

However, I think, and I have no idea if this is really true because it's been too long since I've seen it, that the speed of the blinking might possibly depend on the number of creatures crammed into the square? But if so, I would imagine that the OP would notice that a whole pile of cats were crammed on top of one another, surely?

As I continue to try to pull memories up out of archival, I really don't think it worked like that, but I can't come up with any better ideas. :P
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 07:35:15 pm by Maximum Spin »

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2020, 07:51:16 pm »

If I missed anything, shout out.

There is definitely only one cat in the square.
It's been going on for months.
The dig menu wasn't open, no menu was being used... just watching the action happen.

Therapist does show animal health issues, I have some animals with health problems showing there. Like "Toothless" the dog that killed the chained up human I showed in the "What's going on in your fort" thread, it shows his teeth missing.  None of my cats show any health problems.

The gif was recorded at 33fps.

(edit: one more thing... the cat is chained but it never moves from that square into the other squares around the chain)

(edit 2: watching the gif play in this thread looks exactly like it does in the game, it flashes in that pattern, kinda like morse code)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 08:01:12 pm by Uthimienure »

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2020, 08:02:05 pm »

Well.... crap. ???

Upload the save to DFFD, maybe...

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2020, 08:39:02 pm »

Well.... crap. ???

Upload the save to DFFD, maybe...

I'm not sure that will work because a few in-game years ago I had the power go out while playing.  Ever since that happened when I save and then resume the game, the default "first save that shows in the list" isn't the latest save.  When I "continue playing" I have to hit "b" to make backups visible, then go to the last save in the list every time, even though that save folder doesn't show the latest in-game date. See pic.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2020, 02:54:54 am »

There's no reason why it wouldn't work, whether it's a backup doesn't affect anything. You just have to find the specific folder for that backup in your save folder - on a filesystem level, they're all equivalent, just with different names.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2020, 08:32:16 am »

The brown/dark yellow background means the unit is prone - lying down or crawling. The cat must be falling prone, immediately getting back up, and falling prone again, hence the flashing status color.

If the cat's legs or motor nerves were damaged it wouldn't be able to stand at all, so it wouldn't flash. The only thing I can think would cause this would be if the cat is over-exerted and trying to move away. Units fall prone when over-exerted, but can stand up again. The cat might fall prone, rest a tick, stand up, try to move (but can't because of the rope), trying to move makes it over-exerted again, and it falls over.

That may be unlikely, given how fast the flashing is, but it's easy to check: 'v'iew the cat > check its 'w'ounds, it should say "Tired" or "Over-Exerted" in yellow in the corner if that's the case.

Another possibility: there were problems with drunk cats a few versions ago. Maybe the cat got a hold of the good stuff and is now stumbling around? But I'm not actually sure whether dizziness makes you fall over (in the game, that is).
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2020, 08:43:34 am »

Pages: [1] 2