Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Amber Dream [4/4]: A first meeting of amber-touched individuals.  (Read 1617 times)

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
Re: Amber Dream [4/4]: A first meeting of amber-touched individuals.
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2020, 05:00:22 am »

Luke warily entered the library wondering if the library-keeper was in on Their heinous plot to put him away for his stint in the woods. It would certainly explain the unexpected reaction to his camouflage mud. Still, Luke wasn't alone but in a good way for once, and now was a good time to find answers. After consulting the catalog, Luke cautiously made his way to the relevant section. He sensed (or thought he sensed) the presence of the other amber-touched there and was confronted with a dilemma: Introduce himself the other amber-touched and possibly expose himself to Their watchful agents or surreptitiously (and extremely awkwardly) browse closer and closer to them.

Ultimately, Luke went with the second option after interpreting a single flicker from one of the lights as Their approval for the first option. Also, Luke was sure the others already knew about the ancient conspiracies anyway; no need to implicate himself before Their agents when They were clearly reading his thoughts and controlling the lights. With these things in mind, he went to the nearest shelf and picked up a copy of Something something DEEP MYSTERIES something, a denser and duller book than even his friend's old zine on Pharaohs and Fomalhautians1. He sensed (or thought he sensed) the nearest amber-touched three or four shelves away (which was fine), but after slogging through three pages of this awful book, Luke decided he had had enough of this and put the book down in the nearest gap in the shelves. He then decided to try practicing some of the telepathy tips from Monsieur Menteur's2 column and put his fingers to his temples while concentrating on the words "HELLO MAGES."

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)

1 With 60 pages in a single font and color and No oddly Capitalized words or incongruously formatted text sprinkled in, Luke skimmed the zine for the usual exciting details...and couldn't find any.
2 Translator's note: Menteur means liar.

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2020, 04:26:30 pm »

Dimitri was distraught, that such a crazy change was making an immediate impact on his lackluster life and as he makes headway into the library in his street clothes, seeing already disapproving looks from the librarian had already gave him a mental acknowledgement on how he doesn't belong here yet he continue forward but now he needs to learn of the visions and heightened emotions he's been feeling over the past several weeks and already sees the other few amber-touched individuals perusing or carousing what are in these shelfs. He tried to attempt a rudimentary look at what type of tomes and information that were contained in the books but he thought it was too complicated for him, and nodded too anyone that approached in his way and even hearing an individual speak directly to his mind which he responded with a hard-spoken whisper
"Why hello... there, I guess you don't speak much then, I take it?"

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2020, 06:26:39 am »

"Why hello... there, I guess you don't speak much then, I take it?"

"!"

They all called Luke mad and paranoid, but someone really WAS reading Luke's thoughts after all! Was this a fellow amber-touched, or was this one of Them? And if the latter, was this fellow the one responsible for the flicker in the lights? If so, responding would play right into Their hands. Then again, maybe it was worth the risk after all this time without allies. Luke whispered back "Yes, hello. I don't suppose you know about the...lost royal family? The house without walls?"

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2020, 06:57:00 am »

((This took so long to start that I forgot. I'll write something up tomorrow. Sorry.))
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2020, 12:04:11 am »

Gene had entered the library and was quietly reading a book about the history of Praxis City, still in his work clothes. He then seeminly gets a... Thought. He puts down the book and goes looking through the shelves for anything relevant to his visions. He then glances over at Varius. "What are you doing here?"

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2020, 12:47:46 am »

Varius met Gene's eyes. They gleamed, a bit.
"Ah, just looking for people with shared interests."
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2020, 05:49:54 am »

The house without walls?"
((I understood that reference  :P ))

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2020, 07:54:03 am »

((Fal?))

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2020, 12:25:48 pm »

It was like a dream come true, in a sense. Not in the flowery metaphorical true-love sense, but in the sense that a sleeping facet of fractured existence had awoken and blessed a few of those who slept only sometimes, in the lower plane. The dream had come to fruition.

Magic. The existence of magic was common knowledge, but the particulars were not. It was labeled dangerous knowledge, and as such you needed to be a student or researcher at a Scholarium to learn it and study it in any level of depth... legally. Some more information on magic was available to the students of universities, how it factored into society, how it could be used within machinery - but not a single ritual or incantation could be found in the more open places.

The practice of magic without being empowered and trained by a Scholarium was illegal to a strong degree. But did these four blessed individuals care about that? When they had finally been gifted the ability to be... special?

When even their weakest attempts made them able to use thought-speech with one another, though who could say whether that capability would hold up if attempted on someone not amber-touched, not in such a close range of space.

But their power would need to be studied, practiced, and mastered to reach its fruition of purpose. Perhaps a public library wasn't the place for that. There were security cameras after all, though who could say whether their coverage was absolute.

Spoiler: Varius DeLain (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Luke Chandler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dimitri Diamonds (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Gene Barger (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Skills (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 11:05:49 am by FallacyofUrist »
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2020, 12:06:43 am »

"Well then, I guess it time for all of us together to learn the secrets of this... bizarre medium? artform? knowledge?. Who knows, but all I know is that this hidden knowledge that us as humans were not meant to learn, but these mysteries will be unraveled by us."

(Also I guess I didn't get 3 Intuition?)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2020, 11:05:09 am »

(No, that's absolutely my error. Corrected.)
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2021, 11:43:55 am »

((Was very busy with New Year's holidays, sorry. I'll write something longer tomorrow.))

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2021, 06:00:43 am »

Gene attempts to find a library computer connected to the internet and goes to find some sort of VPN-like program to look for information on magic without being detected.

"If we can't find it here... maybe uh... we could find it online? I didn't use computers much but surely I could look something up..."
Pages: 1 [2]