• Portfolio
Re: Tribe
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2020, 04:08:03 am »

Maxinum McDreich is the Adept

0cra_tr0per is the Crafter

1 Turn Survived
14 Turns Until End of Winter
It is Early SpringEnd of

The Eye of Wrath peers down upon the breadth of a golden valley. The air is cold and crisp, but already the snow is quickly melting, like tears of relief. The once standing skeletons of wood now begin to take on a verdant bloom. The Tribe is gathering outside the cave after making plans for a couple of excursions: The Cook and Gatherer take trips picking fruit, and each day the Elder advises the Hunter before waiting alone for the others to return. [6]-1 (T) The Gatherer guides the Cook down a trail that has some fruit trees that bare fairly early. On their trips they often do not see any that are ripe, but in total the Gatherer manages to spot and collect three. While the others are away The Elder often sleeps at the mouth of the cave, occasionally scaring away a rodent, or casting a curious glance at a suspicious sound before nodding off. [5] [1] The Hunter spots a large grazer at the base of a cliff. They then pick up a large rock but nearly stumble doing so, causing small pebbles to cascade down the ridge. As the animal looks up, its' last sight is of a dark shape growing to engulf its' view. Crunch. The Elder has their first coughing fit. The gauntlet of tribal life is catching up with their body. What made a twig snap? The Elder sees two figures stumble into view, it's the youth and the tool maker from the sister tribe! The Elder takes a quick look at them: it seems they are a bit scuffed up. The Elder pops the Crafter's shoulder back into place, and then applies some chewed leaves to their wounds which give a tingling sensation. It seems they had a fall during a flight from a Saber Cat. The beast attack has sadly, decimated the other tribe. The Crafter will be a valuable addition, as will the Adept when trained. The Crafter clenches their fist repeatedly and winds their arm in relief. The Adept is already sleeping soundly as the Cook and Gatherer get back from their most recent outing. The Elder sits alone quietly. The former Elder would often make sacrifices of excess food to appease the ancestors and pray for their favor. Upon replacing them, the new Elder had not carried on this tradition, perhaps seeing it as more wasteful than spiritual. But, the fall of the sister tribe is definitely an occasion of great significance. The former Elder would see such a thing as sign the ancestors might be angry. The Elder studies the ceremonial mask in their wrinkled hands. The Hunter returns with a large carcass. It seems everyone is here. Tonight we feast...

The Adept can copy any other role except Elder. They must apprentice them 5 times while the tutor uses role related skills. The tutor receives a penalty of 1 to their rolls.
-When an Adept completes their training they gain the ability to permanently switch to this role at a time of their choosing. An Adept can learn multiple roles, but only becomes one.
-When an Adept completes their training the tutor gains the ability to permanently switch to an Elder at a time of their choosing.
-There can only be 1 of any role at one time.
-If the desired tutor is not willing to teach, the Adept can choose to observe, which still causes a penalty to the unwilling tutor's rolls, and may or may not earn experience.
-Being so young, when hurt minor injuries become major injuries and major injuries are deadly.

The Crafter can research and craft tools for the various roles, which may grant them new or improved skills. Can repair said tools. Technology:
-Walking Stick: Remove excess twigs from a branch to be used to aid elderly or injured with walking. Required a rock shard to craft.
-Rock Shard: Smash two rocks together to make rock shards. Sharp rock fragments for cutting and chopping.
-Woven Basket: Weave strips of bark to create a basket for fruit foraging. Requires a rock shard to craft.

Frail, Tough, Reliable
The Gatherer's roll chart revealed.

The Hunter's roll charts revealed.

The Elder is now more frail. When hurt, minor injuries become major injuries, and major injuries are deadly. A limp prevents joining others in away activities.

The Elder can now mend everyone's minor wounds, and does so automatically. (PM to prevent someone from receiving this)

The Elder can now perform ceremonies by wearing the mask and sacrificing food, which is left by a sacred rock formation nearby for animals to consume. The ceremony entails speaking respectfully and reverently to the ancestors, and making a prayer for the tribe.

Spoiler: Roles (click to show/hide)

The Eye of Terror stares with solemn fixation through the ghostly still trees, the warm light of the fire makes their shadows dance as it crackles. All six members gather together. Some with bowed heads in uneasy anticipation, others seemingly enlarged with self satisfaction. There is plenty of food, but will everyone get to eat?

Eat or Go Hungry. Choose what food items to consume now from your private or the communal stash(you can trade first), or eat nothing. You each have one / of hunger. When you get ////, you die. One food item removes one /. Uncooked meat and undried fruit will go bad at the end of the turn. Then choose your next action.

/ Gatherer: 3 Fruit
/ Cook:
/ Elder: Ceremonial Mask
/ Hunter: 6 Meat
/ Adept:
/ Crafter:
Communal:
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by a lack of knowledge or understanding. Maybe your own.
'No.' is a complete sentence. —Mary Kate & Ashley

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2020, 07:31:20 am »

OOC:  Light blue on white is extremely hard to read.  Had to highlight the text.

I think I'll wait to see what someone else has to say before I make my decision.

Btw,  what does a gathering basket do?

Also, can meat be used for a ceremony?

Also, what affect (if any) does a ceremony have?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2020, 10:01:10 am »

Food distribution proposal:
Everyone gets 1 meat. 1 fruit is dried, and put aside for later. 2 fruit are sacrificed.

MMM should again advise a1s, who should again hunt big game. Max and I should accompany ACC in gathering food. 0cra should craft rock shards now, such that they may produce a woven basket at a later date.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 10:42:13 am by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

MonkeyMarkMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2020, 10:20:56 am »

OOC:  Light blue on white is extremely hard to read.  Had to highlight the text.
I use dark theme, it helps with being able to see every thing more clearly and does not strain the eyes.

Everyone gets 1 meat. 1 fruit is dried, and put aside for later. 2 fruit are sacrificed.

MMM should again advise a1s, who should again hunt big game. Max and I should accompany ACC in gathering food. 0cra should craft rock shards now, such that they may produce a woven basket at a later date.
I would prefer not to eat raw meat though if there is no malice and/or there is a malice for each point of hunger I will go with this plan. Though I think we can only do one action each, correct me if I am wrong roseheart.
My Forum game(s):
None for now

Any future games will be simpler in nature, I have a bad habit of biting off more than I can chew. Also hoping for more players in them.

I have Discord for my games now(not necessary to play, tho might be easier to contact me): https://discord.gg/DuaARAZ

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2020, 10:42:03 am »

I would prefer not to eat raw meat though if there is no malice and/or there is a malice for each point of hunger I will go with this plan. Though I think we can only do one action each, correct me if I am wrong roseheart.
There doesn't seem to be anything about meat having negative effects if not cooked? And I'm not poisoning it.
And yeah, I forgot that I can't dry fruit and go gathering. I'll remove my gathering bit.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2020, 12:37:30 pm »

Are there any downsides to eating uncooked meat?

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2020, 12:45:43 pm »

It can be assumed that the meat is safe to eat.
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by a lack of knowledge or understanding. Maybe your own.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2020, 01:05:17 pm »

It can be assumed that the meat is safe to eat.

Okay....  Sounds good to me.

Go with Glass's plan.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2020, 01:41:46 pm »

Okay....

...We'll say they hold it over that huge firepit they're gathered around, marshmallow style. I only meant that since I specifically said human meat may be poisonous, you can assume the rest isn't.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2020, 01:59:28 pm »

Btw, did you know that the scientific consensus is that early humans did not live in caves on a regular basis.  Caves come with a number of problems (such as often being home to dangerous animals).  Caves were more likely used as religious sites, places to dispose of the dead, and (occasionally) protection from the rain.

Btw, what's the surrounding area like?  What kind of terrain?  What's the vegetation like?  What's the local climate?

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2020, 03:17:45 pm »

That is interesting. Though I ask you make further suggestions or critiques to me by PM, as to not distract from the game. Or if you can wait until the game is finished. That's when I'd be most open to changing things asthetically/more realistically if the basic gameplay was enjoyed.

It comes across as disrespectful to pick apart someone's game in the middle of running it, and is an unwanted distraction.

MonkeyMarkMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2020, 11:22:10 pm »

Going with Glass' plan.
My Forum game(s):
None for now

Any future games will be simpler in nature, I have a bad habit of biting off more than I can chew. Also hoping for more players in them.

I have Discord for my games now(not necessary to play, tho might be easier to contact me): https://discord.gg/DuaARAZ

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2020, 02:32:47 am »

Can an Elder advise on the same turn he sacrifices?
Either way I feel like all food should be preserved so as to make the most of Glass' action. In fact since hunger isn't obviously detrimental, maybe preserve all[ the food and eat some of it next turn.

hunt big game
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2020, 09:37:25 am »

Crafter Grug smash rock into two small Rock Shard
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 11:09:50 am by 0cra_tr0per »
it's over

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2020, 07:28:03 pm »

Ok, so, couple of questions regarding the adept.

Once I've learned, say, gatherer, I can choose to then just become the gatherer. Except that we can only have 1 gatherer at a time. Said original gatherer can instead then become an elder, but again, since we already have 1, that can't be done. So, am I right to believe then that the adept's really there to replace someone who dies?

I think more people help gathering's actually bad for our odds now that we know the odds, but I'm the young adept, so FOLLOW MY NEW CLAN.

Help Gathering
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24