Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarpher | 3D world viewer utility rendering your world map in 3D  (Read 10077 times)

Orenong

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarpher | 3D world viewer utility rendering your world map in 3D
« on: September 15, 2020, 09:47:41 am »

Dwarpher is an easy to use, noob proof 3D rendering utility, that renders your dwarf fortress world in real time 3D!

In order to use Dwarpher and generate images like the one above you'd need 3 maps exported from legends mode:

* The biome map - will be the texture of your world, could be replaced by any BMP of the same size

* The elevation map - will be used to determinate and map the elevation of your world into the 3D model

* The hydro map - will be used to add the rivers to the texture

With these 3 maps exported, all you need to is load them into the software and press space bar, the full updated controls are in the control tap in Dwarphers menu.

Dwarpher using modern 3D graphics in real time, so it requires decent hardware in order to get reasonable real time performance.
This is the current system requirements, it is expected to get easier to run Dwarpher in the future after some optimization tricks will be used. 1070 is the recommended since it can run in stable 60+ FPS with the lagest world size on FHD or more without FPS drops (estimated, not tested), but the software was tested and optimazied for GTX 1060 6GB, so don't be scared from the requirements, smaller worlds are easier to render and even if you get 5FPS, you can use it to make images of your world.

NOTE: the requirements are in Intel and Nvidia hardware, it will work the same on AMD equivalents
Minimum
CPU: i5 4th gen

GPU: GTX 750ti (for larger worlds  more than 2GB VRAM would be needed)

RAM: 4GB

Recommended

CPU: i5 8th gen

GPU: GTX 1070

RAM: 8GB

_____
Today there are still problems with the linux version, it worked for some users but didn't for others, linux support will be better in the future.
_____

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SrUemBg7c0&feature=youtu.be short example video

_____

In order to install it on windows, all you need is to extract, in linux it may require few extra steps but it will be fixed soon, I did not test it on linux yet, I will work on fixing the linux version in the next few days

_____

______

Dwarpher is free and will always be free, chosoe "No thanks, just take me to the downloads" to download it for free.

Download it from here: https://orenong.itch.io/dwarpher

_____

I released it with version 1.0, but it doesn't mean it's done, there is still a lot of work to do to keep fixing and improving it, if you have suggestions or had problems with amy version of Dwarpher please let me know.

------------------------------

Enjoy your dwarf fortress world map in 3D!

« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 09:49:21 am by Orenong »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarpher | 3D world viewer utility rendering your world map in 3D
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 01:53:59 pm »

Nice!

Here's another island map, I like how it brings out the mountain peaks:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My first try at this failed, possibly because I had a map with a weird aspect ratio (65x275, the map for the museum III game )
All I got for that one was a weirdly spinning blue screen, so that might be something to look into.

myk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 09:31:09 pm »

It might be cool to use the 3d map to choose an embark location :-)

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 12:29:13 am »

Nice!

My first try at this failed, possibly because I had a map with a weird aspect ratio (65x275, the map for the museum III game )
All I got for that one was a weirdly spinning blue screen, so that might be something to look into.

That's funny, I remember I was trying to do the same thing a week ago, but I too got the blue screen at first i thought it was loading so I just let it ride for an hour than I notice it didn't load so I thought it was my shitty Laptop being shitty, so I tried again with a different world and it work. It's a shame, I really wanted to see Orid Xem in 3D. Hopefully Orenong optimize it to work on weird aspect ratio.

Orenong

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2020, 07:02:58 am »

Nice!

That's funny, I remember I was trying to do the same thing a week ago, but I too got the blue screen at first i thought it was loading so I just let it ride for an hour than I notice it didn't load so I thought it was my shitty Laptop being shitty, so I tried again with a different world and it work. It's a shame, I really wanted to see Orid Xem in 3D. Hopefully Orenong optimize it to work on weird aspect ratio.

fixed it now, in update 1.03 it works.
There was a mistake in the logic that was supposed to handle maps that are not square, and it caused this problem.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 06:30:30 am »

Thanks!

Here is a fragment of a screenshot I took with dwarpher, for the museum game.
(cropped and slightly edited to make the foreground black)

This is a very useful tool to find interesting embark locations.