Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Deceased, Dead, Killed, etc. - save a little data  (Read 581 times)

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
Deceased, Dead, Killed, etc. - save a little data
« on: September 15, 2020, 09:16:30 pm »

In Fortress Mode, it would be great if deceased citizen dwarfs (names & relationships for a start anyway, and some of their data too) were retained in some of the game's listings (during play, apart from legends mode).

1. Keep them listed in the "r" relationships of other dwarfs, with "deceased" marked next to them.

2. Maintain some basic data on each deceased citizen (at least) from the time of their death.

As I understand it, almost everything about the deceased is deleted, probably to save computer resources. Perhaps a minimal amount of data on them would not tax FPS, memory, etc.  It would be beneficial to at least have (1.) above.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
Re: Deceased, Dead, Killed, etc. - save a little data
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 09:43:21 pm »

(1.) is definitely already in the game, and will let you see the usual z-status data of dwarves - relationships, health, kills, owned rooms (usually just 'Grave'), and even their thoughts, preferences, and personalities. Just about the only thing you can't find out is skills. I'm not sure, but I don't think anything about dead dwarves is actually deleted - it's just hard to access, since looking through relationships is the only way to find any of it.

I do think that info could be easier to access - letting us 'v'iew a deceased 'u'nit would do nicely.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
Re: Deceased, Dead, Killed, etc. - save a little data - DELETE THIS THREAD!
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 09:51:12 pm »

Really?  My bad for not looking thoroughly enough, now I feel like an idiot... you're absolutely right.

THIS THREAD CAN BE DELETED!
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deceased, Dead, Killed, etc. - save a little data - KEEP THIS THREAD?
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 12:17:54 am »

THIS THREAD CAN BE DELETED!
(Editing the thread-starting post's title will change how it looks on the 'outside', from the thread list.)

I came here to see if you were advocating a circumstance-relative descriptor of deceasedness. e.g. "Killed" means died directly by being set upon, "Dead" indicates succumbing, or something. (Deceased: Unknown? Expired: Old age? Ascended: Died accomplishing something important, however that could be measured. Martyred: Gained kills during the battle she then died in or whatnot?)

I do like the idea of any 'late' father, wife, son, niece or cousins being so marked on the relationships. Perhaps, reciprocally, widow(er) upon upon a dead spouse's remain(s)ing details. Which might then become "late widow" once any (surviving) child becomes an  "orphaned" son/daughter..?

Anyway, not so much a deletable thread, I'd say. Probably you shouldn't bother changing its header (or entirely lock it), even though you now know you could.

@Loam: Perhaps upon object-examination of the relevent Slab or assigned Burial Recepticle? It's what they're for, after all, at least for the survivors of a fortress who could create them.  The fate of the unmemorialised/unentombed would survive only by tales told by those who knew them (though not necessarily of their death) through Rumour mechanism, maybe wall-carving of an accomplishment. And unsated ghosts could of course give the whole sorry tale of their completed lifetime, perhaps concentrating upon the cause for their current altered-state, as final not-quite-survivor of a defeated site if in any way informing a recovery-team member during a haunt. Accessible as a modified 'unit' by the player if they catch them at their haunt'n'topple activities.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 12:43:43 am by Starver »