Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Summoned a hydra, what are the consequences?  (Read 944 times)

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
Summoned a hydra, what are the consequences?
« on: August 22, 2020, 11:01:49 am »

So thanks to some adventure mode shenanigans, there is an extra hydra in this world, it left the city I spawned in. Where can I find it? Also will any future dwarf fortresses be raided by the hydra?
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Summoned a hydra, what are the consequences?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 04:33:19 pm »

So thanks to some adventure mode shenanigans, there is an extra hydra in this world, it left the city I spawned in. Where can I find it? Also will any future dwarf fortresses be raided by the hydra?
After some time has passed, you'll be able to check up on its progress in Legends mode (just remember it's name).

Jundavr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 07:17:19 pm »

According to my experiments, it will just be forgotten in a limbo of the world history, never changing its state or doing anything. It will change the age name, though, starting at the very first tick of the next year (during fort mode, at least, the name change may occur at a different period if time passes in a different mode)

After generating an adventurer with a hydra and getting killed by it, I made a 1x1 fort, ramped the fps limit up to 500, locked a single dwarf in a room and used scripts to keep it sane/fed and let it run for a couple of irl nights. After 47 in game years, the human and elven civ got into a war, the dwarven civ filled the map with hillocks and... the hydra did absolutely nothing.

It may be because it was generated with no relevant historical links, such as being enemy of civs and having a lair, or because that world in particular had no megabeasts at generation, and the game keeps track of megabeasts by some sort of index (it works somewhat like this for the number of existing megabeasts: they can reproduce, but never past the starting number).

This was in a pocket world, by the way, and after creating a new adventurer at the hamlet that the hydra killed me, it was still there at the exact same spot it dismembered my first character. This smells like unintended and undefined behavior to me. It seems that introducing new megabeasts into the world isn't something that can be done smoothly simply by generating it as the pet of some extraplanar outsider.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 07:25:02 pm by Jundavr »
I was out in the rain. So exasperating!

Pixl_lover

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 06:40:28 am »

How did you summoned it in the first place?