Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Prompt on shutdown  (Read 511 times)

Kobold6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Prompt on shutdown
« on: September 17, 2020, 12:24:20 am »

Just a simple QOL suggestion. I forget I have DF running, and occasionally go for a shutdown to update windows. It'd be nice if DF stalled windows shutdown to ask if I want to save.

Thanks.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prompt on shutdown
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 07:42:18 am »

Just a simple QOL suggestion. I forget I have DF running, and occasionally go for a shutdown to update windows. It'd be nice if DF stalled windows shutdown to ask if I want to save.
May be possible, depends on if it can be caught and implemented in time to do any good[1], though it's still often a flaky behaviour even for something as simple as an unsaved Notepad session.

The problem lies more with Windows itself, especially when you get a nigh-on unstoppable system-restart thing from the OS, and super-especially when it initiates this from the background without your intervention at all (perhaps it thinks you're happily idle; I've had plenty of overnight reboots whilst I was running something interesting I'd hoped to resolve by morning).

I think it might just be easier to make it your own habit to manually close every open window (including minimised ones) before you agree with an any dialogue that indicates a restart is part of the process. It's a 'code patch' that works on many more releases of software, past and future, with just the one 'install' and you don't even need to reboot your machine to apply it.  :P

(Yeah, sometimes I catch myself out on that, don't think I'm being holier-than-thou, but I'm just saying it anyway. ;) )

[1] My preference would be to lose a sub-season amount of play (I always enable Seadlsonal Autosaves, so never risk more than a quarter of a game-year if things happen, and less if the force-quit happens within the same season as the savegame I loaded) rather than have the closedown-save start to overwrite the savefile but only do a half-job and corrupt the results (with autosaves, I still have season-start available to copy/rename to restart from, but I'd yave lost the mid-season loading point I have with zero saving attempts). But YMMV.

Kobold6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prompt on shutdown
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 11:11:26 pm »

nigh-on unstoppable system-restart thing from the OS, and super-especially when it initiates this from the background without your intervention at all

My computer is often unplugged at inactive hours due to mostly being a tablet. I manually tell it to restart when I am charging, because otherwise it'd probably never happen.

Windows 10 happily stalls for Krita with my occasional drawing left open, by the time I've pressed to cancel the restart forgetting I often have things open DF has been force-quit but Krita is still prompting to be saved.

Ideally, yes, I'd reprogram my brain to simply go through a process before pressing the restart button-- and I am most certainly going to do it on my own eventually. But it'd be nice to have the fall-through catch as well-- might save someone else some trouble.