Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Move the standing orders to the mayor's screen.  (Read 389 times)

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Move the standing orders to the mayor's screen.
« on: September 17, 2020, 07:26:15 am »

I would love the mayor and other nobles to have more of a function, and make the mayor more like the bookkeeper or the broker, which are nobles you really like because they are important.

I think it would be more organic if the standing orders, the o screen, were integrated with the mayor.

For starters, I'd like them to move to the mayor screen, and they should not all be available in the game all the time. They should be locked or unlocked according to the player's actions, the same as the bookkeeper unlocks you knowing what you have in the stocks.

Some of the options should not be accessible to the expedition leader, and only show up when you get a mayor.

This would reflect that as the fort grows bigger, also the administration changes. You start with 7 dwarfs doing more what they want, it's more of an egalitarian situation, and then it goes in the direction of becoming more centralized and more refined.

I imagine the mayor has to regularly hold meetings with dwarves, in order to keep all the options available. Say the option "gather refuse outside yes no", is locked, the mayor would unlock it by holding a meeting and then figure out how to organize the change. The options is then unlocked for say 2 years, after which it loks and the mayor needs to organize a new meeting to unlock it again.

It would make sense of the meeting was with say 2 other nobles or administrators.

EXTRA WISH: I think there should be more types of standing orders, in order to give the player more control and to personalize the behaviour of the dwarves.

For instance, you should be able to control the priority of praying jobs or going to the tavern jobs. Or you could increase the weight of leisure jobs, or decrease them if you want them to work till they bleed.

I think personally you should have the option so that with one click it sends a command "after dwarf has finished current job, the next job will be socilize in the tavern/ going to pray / haul an item" or whatever.

I'd like that mayor or king could issue an order that would function like big cleaning day or a new years celebration in the tavern.

Optional: Some of the orders could be moved to barons or kings. To me, it makes sense that the king makes the decision if people gather vermin or not. I'm not sure which orders should stay with the mayor and which ones should move to the king. The manager might also get some of them.

Optional: It also makes sense to me that the mayor or a noble would sometimes change the standing orders, bases on their preferences. "The king has ordered the dwarves to gather vermin". It would take some getting used to, but I think it would be fun. And you'd have the option of getting rid of the mayor/noble that issued standing orders you did not like.

Optional: The administrator level of the mayor should determine which standing orders he can even do. He should gain levens in administration, the same way the bookkeepet and broker gains levels. This creates the interesting possibility that your super administrator dies and some noob becomes mayor - meaning you will have to wait to be able to change the standing orders.