Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF Hack: Making craft quality table material dependent  (Read 1137 times)

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF Hack: Making craft quality table material dependent
« on: September 17, 2020, 08:08:38 pm »

So, here’s the idea. I’d like to make a df hack mod for improved metallurgy. Essentially, a new property will be added to materials that changes the “difficulty” of working with them. The effect will be to increase the average quality of a craft that has been made from a given material.

Why do I want to do this? Well, I’d like to make alloys more useful by making them an effective way of increasing the quality of goods made from them (relative to base materials). The game currently doesn’t reflect the fact that alloys such as brass are useful specifically because they are easier to work into complex shapes. By incorporating this metallurgical factor players will naturally choose soft metals for decorative elements, because you’ll get more masterwork crafts. The current situation where all non-weapon metals are the same will be avoided.

One approach I’ve though of is to periodically scan all items and randomly promote of demote their quality according to the difficulty attribute. After modifying a craft a flag will be added to stop it being modified again.

Is there a better way? Or better still, has someone already done something like this before?

Also, on an unrelated note, are there any farming mods that attempt to model soil nutrients?

Thanks in advance.

Clément

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF Hack: Making craft quality table material dependent
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 05:23:28 am »

Maybe try adding a temporary brass preference during a forge job. Although it could cause issues with real brass preferences: you could use a magic number in prefstring_seed or something to discriminate them, but the real preference would no longer be an advantage for work, since everybody would have it.