Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strand extraction needing rhyolite!?  (Read 1544 times)

forumist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strand extraction needing rhyolite!?
« on: September 19, 2020, 09:32:15 am »

I found the valuable blue metal and carefully dug out some of it.

I built a craftsdwarf workshop, set its profile to strand extraction only, and checked that I had a dwarf with strand extraction activated.

I queued "Extract Metal Strands" on repeat in the workshop.

Then I noticed this cancellation spam:

Ingish Giginzasit, Engineer cancels Extract Metal Strands: Needs rhyolite.

WTF!?

No blue metal has been moved from the mining site yet. The job disappeared from the workshop.

Should I try to find rhyolite somewhere to see what happens?

I don't play a heavily modded version of the game. I think I only have one variant of modest mod, that I didn't tweak.

If you are curious, here's a save of the game some time before the blue metal has been dug out here: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15206
I uploaded this save because of a crash. Since then, I think I managed to avoid the crash by setting fire to the stuck goblin siegers using df-hack's "liquids-here" command.

The blue metal will be dug out in an already designed extension of the bridge-protected tunnel at level 14 (one level above where hotkey F8 leads to). However, to get to that point, the crash must first be avoided (for instance by calling all the dwarves back inside and using the appropriate burrow before they spot the invaders and playing with cheat-lava as explained above to remove the apparent crash-trigger).
Don't quote me on that.
Cacame channels aquifers into submission by staring at them. Cacame is so badass, kobolds give him their children to leave them alone. If Hidden Fun Stuff digs too far down, they hit Cacame. Cacame once took a Tantrum Spiral and impaled four enemies on it.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strand extraction needing rhyolite!?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 11:58:57 am »

1. Why did you set the workshop profile to strand extraction only? I would turn that off.
2. Is the workshop linked to any stockpiles? If so, cut those links.
3. Are you using the manager to auto-generate work orders? If so, turn that off.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 12:32:08 pm »

Sounds like a mod mismatch to me. As I don't use "real" mods I don't have first hand experience, but things like changing the tile set to one for vanilla (as opposed to one bundled with the mod, or at least with mod installation instructions) can probably screw up things.

forumist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 01:52:44 pm »

1. Why did you set the workshop profile to strand extraction only? I would turn that off.

Because it is down near the magma, and I don't want other manager-issued work orders than strand extraction to take place thus far from the surface.

2. Is the workshop linked to any stockpiles? If so, cut those links.

It isn't.

3. Are you using the manager to auto-generate work orders? If so, turn that off.

When I saw that cancellation, I hadn't tried to go through the manager to generate strand extraction jobs (but the manager was used for other activities).
Don't quote me on that.
Cacame channels aquifers into submission by staring at them. Cacame is so badass, kobolds give him their children to leave them alone. If Hidden Fun Stuff digs too far down, they hit Cacame. Cacame once took a Tantrum Spiral and impaled four enemies on it.

forumist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2020, 02:02:52 pm »

Sounds like a mod mismatch to me. As I don't use "real" mods I don't have first hand experience, but things like changing the tile set to one for vanilla (as opposed to one bundled with the mod, or at least with mod installation instructions) can probably screw up things.

I'm not sure to understand your comment. I don't use tilesets.

I'm not even sure I use a mod, but if I use one, it's one that I've seen discussed on this forum, likely used by other players, and likely not messing with stone properties.

The only occurrence of RHYOLITE in raw/objects/ is in raw/objects/inorganic_stone_layer.txt and looks like a normal entry:

Code: [Select]
[INORGANIC:RHYOLITE]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STONE_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:rhyolite][DISPLAY_COLOR:0:7:1][TILE:',']
[IGNEOUS_EXTRUSIVE]
[IS_STONE]
[MELTING_POINT:11440]
[SOLID_DENSITY:2600]

Don't quote me on that.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2020, 07:48:00 pm »

I limit all craftshops to allow or disallow strand extraction. This keeps the candy within a lockable room and keeps regular craftdwarfs out. Never had a problem with it in vanilla.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2020, 02:51:43 am »

As far as I understand, tile set installation typically involves replacement of raw files, and thus can result in removal/addition of entries, causing references to get out of alignment. If you're not using tile sets installation of them shouldn't be the cause, though.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2020, 02:55:28 am »

The fact that you had a crash you had to work around before this point is strongly suggestive of corruption, anyway.

forumist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2020, 05:18:35 am »

The strand extractor is now extracting strands (from the valuable blue metal, and executing an order issued by the manager).
Don't quote me on that.