Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Let Intelligent Wilderness Creatures start out as Outsiders  (Read 622 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Let Intelligent Wilderness Creatures start out as Outsiders
« on: September 19, 2020, 08:03:34 pm »

Currently only Human adventurers can start out as outsiders. This should extend to intelligent wilderness creatures, instead of having them only able to start out as members of a civilization. Solution is to add [OUTSIDER_CONTROLLABLE] tag to the relevant raws (animal men and gorlaks.)

Might be reasonable apply it to other playable races (elf, dwarf, goblin) as well. Potentially make kobolds playable, too, even if nobody can understand you.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 08:08:02 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let Intelligent Wilderness Creatures start out as Outsiders
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 09:30:18 pm »

Great suggestion!
+1

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 11:04:51 am »

I always thought "outsiders" are from outside the current map. So I think it would be niche if you could only choose races as outsiders that were not generated this time. Some Npc remarks about your strangeness would be nice too.

Basically washed ashore from a far away continent.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 03:06:17 pm »

Spoiler: Or further afield? (click to show/hide)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 05:55:00 pm »

I always thought "outsiders" are from outside the current map. So I think it would be niche if you could only choose races as outsiders that were not generated this time. Some Npc remarks about your strangeness would be nice too.

True, there's no logical connection between outsiders and intelligent wilderness creatures who actually come from the wild animal person pops of your world. "Wild human" isn't a thing, after all.

So, yeah, extra races available as outsiders is a good suggestion. But it would have to fit with the world's Myth. If animal people were created by mischievous gods or wizards from the races and animals of your world, it would be weird (or just a huge immersion breaking coincidence) for them to turn up from "outside".