Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to take crafts out of bins?  (Read 735 times)

Wicked

• Bay Watcher
  • The older I get, the better I was.
    • View Profile
How to take crafts out of bins?
« on: September 21, 2020, 04:30:12 am »

All my stone crafts are in wooden bins, and I have an elf caravan. How do I give them the crafts withut the bins?
thanks
If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilisation

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
Re: How to take crafts out of bins?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 05:08:18 am »

Option 1: Just bring the bins to the depot as they are and then in the trading screen just choose their content. You'll have to choose each piece individually.

option2: Mark the bins for dumping and when done unforbid the crafts. Order these crafts to be brought to the depot. This is quite time consuming, it might help to designate a dumping area near the depot and forbid your stockpile from taking new items for the duration of the trade.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 08:15:01 am »

With Ulfarr's option 1, when you are in the Trade screen and you can see your bins full of crafts on the right, you will notice that if you select an individual item while the bin is marked, the bin will unmark. So you leverage that using a 'Enter, downArrow' macro or using dfhack's shift+downArrow. It is fast once you leverage that.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 09:35:34 am »

I do (1) for all traders (exporting, but import whole bins, because you can never[Citation needed] have enough bins).

Empty bins show up differently from bins with things in, so after some horse-trading (albeit that actual horses will be in cages... ;)) I tend to come back to non-trading mode, go into the Depot's "bring to depot" chooser and unmark the now empty bins just to keep the Trading list tidier (just loose items, and any further binned items indented from their bin that haven't been sold yet/hadn't been brought to depot/requested-to-be-brought during the prior time of haggling).

Though I tend to make pre-Depot (or indeed all) stockpiles mutually exclusive to wood/non-wood for items where this trivially applies (with a partner pile for the other subtype) and thus don't have mixed-heritage goods in a bin, if I did have wooden and metal bolts, or wooden and stone crafts, or whatever the mix, I'd be meticulously selling the non-wood indented items then de-mark-for-trading (and even mark for dumping, when I want to use that differently prioritised/service haulage-method) the bin and the wooden remnants. Also applies to other partial-intent mixes (wanted to leave marble trinkets for the dwarf caravan, happy to sell all metalic items but the iron and steel ones, ...) if not pre-arranged to be segregated.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 06:49:03 pm »

you can never[Citation needed] have enough bins

Sometimes one bin is too many.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Wicked

• Bay Watcher
  • The older I get, the better I was.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 03:01:10 am »

Thank you all for your advice. Problem solved
If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilisation