Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is Armok the one and true god?  (Read 3105 times)

SomeGuy3

• Bay Watcher
  • Licking dwarf meat is the way to escape starvation
    • View Profile
Is Armok the one and true god?
« on: September 21, 2020, 06:33:02 am »

It could very possibly be, since he is always present in the worlds he creates (being noticed by his inhabitants is another thing), but, is he the one true god of those worlds? It's like the Elder Scrolls series and Chim, there's a one true creator of this world (the Godhead, or in this case Armok) that made a vast world with inhabitants, those inhabitants have their own religions (Aedras, Daedras and Saints, or in Dwarf Fortress, the civilization's gods and objects of worship).
Are those religions actually true? Armok made them and they're gonna disappear when Armok gets bored and new worlds with new deities will appear, but Armok will be always there.
Idk, just a weird thought i've been having for a few days
What's the deal with keas? They're cute little birds in real life, but in the game they're just dumb Ks that aren't useful at all!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is Armok the one and true god?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 06:48:44 am »

No.
I mean it's a nice thing to muse about, but you gotta remember it's just something made up by fans who like the title of the original game (which DF unfortunately inherited, but looks like they've dropped it or at least hidden it well for Steam release).

Would completely cripple game development if it were made an actual thing considering the origins of each world/universe are to be individually generated.

But, enough of that. Ignore me and have fun with another Armok is the Player theory thread.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 06:51:00 am by Shonai_Dweller »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 07:34:48 am »

Well, you could, of course, use the theory that the player is Armok as Shonai_Dweller mentioned, or that Armok is one tier above the universe, so Armok creates each universe and seeds it, after which the gods appear and shape the universe, while Armok makes some popcorn and sits down to watch the mess unfold, or any other theory that strikes your fancy.

Regardless, it's not an actual part of the game itself.

Armok100%

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 07:12:33 pm »

Armok's endless lust for BLOOD is what drives him to forge and unforge the universe every so often. The other gods are just window dressing, for otherwise his playthings wouldn't go to war or seek to end the lives of their enemies or any of those vile and sickly sweet things we've come to know and love.  He wants to make your nose run and your eyes water. And of course, he finds great joy in this, as should you, you know? There's a reason most animals bleed and why unbleeding creatures such as the famed bronze colossi are evil, and why dwarves would rather spill a man's guts out and bleed him slowly instead of ending their unfortunate victim with a swift blow to the chin, and that reason is of course, that the alternative would not be entertaining to the Master of Everything now, would it? Only through long, arduous battles against an adversary can heroes and legends be made, and of course, without heroes there'd be no legends to entertain Armok and so on. I think get the gist of it by now.

So keep this in mind while you're separating your crust from the cream, my good friend, and you'll quickly benefit from the Master's favor.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

If you can't handle me at my best then you don't deserve me at my worst.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 07:42:08 pm »

Eventually, we will be able to generate worlds with lower amounts of grimness and violence, even without death. Where will your blood god be then, forumers?
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 07:58:49 pm »

Armok is the god of determining if your arm is okay or not.

SomeGuy3

• Bay Watcher
  • Licking dwarf meat is the way to escape starvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 10:07:24 am »

This guy gets it
What's the deal with keas? They're cute little birds in real life, but in the game they're just dumb Ks that aren't useful at all!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 10:58:44 am »

Came here to say pretty much this. More specifically, he is the god of having a working arm, nothing more, nothing less.

He is important, because without working arms you're significantly impaired, but he did not create the world.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2020, 01:36:57 pm »

The god of blood, for those without functioning arms cannot defend themselves. He demands sacrifices, and cripples the valuable if he doesn't receive them. Nobody wants their legendary weaponsmith to be crippled. Kill viciously and often.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2020, 04:10:47 pm »

Eventually, we will be able to generate worlds with lower amounts of grimness and violence, even without death. Where will your blood god be then, forumers?
Endless wrestling of the enemies of Armok, gouging their eyes and snapping their limbs for eternity, in His name.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2020, 04:25:37 pm »

Endless wrestling of the enemies of Armok, gouging their eyes and snapping their limbs for eternity, in His name.
Pretty sure that counts as violence.  :)

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2020, 07:32:03 pm »

The god of blood, for those without functioning arms cannot defend themselves. He demands sacrifices, and cripples the valuable if he doesn't receive them. Nobody wants their legendary weaponsmith to be crippled. Kill viciously and often.

God of Blood and working arms, yes. But in a good sense. He is the wholesome god of well-being and health. Of living a happy, healthy and productive life with your arms ok and healthy blood flowing IN your veins.

That's why he's absent in the game.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 07:33:52 pm by Nordlicht »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2020, 07:44:07 pm »

God of Blood and working arms, yes. But in a good sense. He is the wholesome god of well-being and health. Of living a happy, healthy and productive life with your arms ok and healthy blood flowing IN your veins.

Made me think of:

To train with the sword, first master sweeping. When you have mastered sweeping, you must master the way of drawing water. Once you have learned how to draw water, you must split wood. Once you have split wood, you must learn the arts of finding the fine herbs in the forest, the arts of writing, the arts of paper making, and poetry writing. You must become familiar with the awl and the pen in equal measure. When you have mastered all these things you must master building a house. Once your house is built, you have no further need for a sword, since it is an ugly piece of metal and its adherents idiots.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2020, 07:33:24 am »

Pretty sure that counts as violence.  :)
Lower amounts of grimness and violence and without death are not an absence of violence. I have faith He will protect our right to sacrifice.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2020, 05:38:14 am »

Maybe he's a god for blood and arms and only blood and severed arms can worship him.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: [1] 2