Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Royal Relics  (Read 593 times)

BugbearSpearFighter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Royal Relics
« on: September 22, 2020, 04:49:31 pm »

Just a simple suggestion that up to 1 artifact crown, throne, and scepter can be offered to the position of king in a dwarven civilization. Whoever is king will wear the crown and scepter (including when they migrate to your fortress), and the throne will be placed in the location they rule from (as I understand they don't have a specific throne room yet so it could just be stored in a stockpile or something). The artifacts would be inherited by whoever gets the monarch position, and there could be a string in legends saying the artifact is a symbol of rulership in for a civilization.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Relics
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 05:34:53 pm »

How is that different from what happens right now?
And kings do have a throne room.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 02:37:29 pm »

It could be expanded by having items and rooms being linked to positions.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 04:20:27 pm »

I'd like it if elected/in-fort-appointed positions could be linked to room-holdings (and thus things within them) by the position not the dwarf.

When the mayor changes, for whatever reason, I currently need to notice and do the reassignment of rooms myself. Perhaps giving the old incumbant the new one's "civvy" quarters, if applicable.  I wouldn't mind maintaining normal accomodation for everyone and then whoever-happens-to-be-mayor (or other 'noble' positions) gets the room(s) assigned to that noble-position (ditto record-keeper, broker, whatever).  Bad thoughts for the outgoing incumbent getting the downgrade, unless you let them down gentler by a 'retirement' improvement to their more personal holdings.

There could be a choice to create and fill speculative rooms to satisfy the remote royals (whether expected[1] to arrive or not[2]) so that if they did arrive (perhaps actually drawn to sufficiently blingified suites) they already have a place to praise or condemn the value and beauty of. Optionally, entourage facilities too (separate office for the consort, chambers for ladies/gentlemen-in-waiting, a mini-barracks for accompanying bodyguards).

Furniture requirements could specifically include a pedestal/display-case for (and, for bonus points, housing) some form of regalia like a much-improved scepter. Of course it would be a full-on thief-magnet, at least when not actively patrolled by the Royal Guard and others legitimately hustling and bustling in service of the monarch-in-residence.

And if world-events raise a local to the crown, they also gain access (and use), naturally. At least until it's time to move on to review/sample other such facilities around the kingdom.

(When it comes to inheritance, at least, I suppose tombs should be codified or kption-set to be exempt as soon as death happens and the old owner is bodily assigned to it personally. You'd need to line up another tomb (or a fresh sarcophagus, that can reassigned to be the new focus for the same catacomb), to perhaps end up with a grand Hall Of Ancestors.)

So, yeah, regalia (royal scepter, mayoral chain(/necklace?), bookkeeping tome, CotG's ceremonial armour, ..?) and rooms.

[1] A 'Royal Progress' might happen. Various British stately homes have rooms or extensions that were built in the knowledge that the monarch would be visiting (with foresight such as 18 months notice, however these things were organised behind the scenes), stay a few days then move on. Preserved examples of 'temporary' Royal Quarters have been maintained for hundreds of years.

[2] Other manorial/castle-based 'seats' built Royal Accomodation in order to tempt the reigning monarch to visit. Which didn't always(/often?) work. But may still have been largely preserved by subsequent tradition, at least until the next major remodelling or destruction of the property.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 08:02:33 pm »

I'd like it if elected/in-fort-appointed positions could be linked to room-holdings (and thus things within them) by the position not the dwarf.

Do you mean like you can do with DFHack now?   It's a start toward what you want anyway, and it works.
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2020, 08:49:16 pm »

I'm not familiar with it, because I don't really use the whole package (if I do, it's minor tweaks), but it sounds like something I'd expect someone to do, thinking of it. (Like, maybe, my own long-term plan to do a "Stockpile Therapist" interface... Probably a wheel already fully implemented, but was always going to be my contribution... ;) )

But, sure, shove it into Vanilla. Along with set-operators for Burrow definitions[1]. It'd save me a significant amount of micromanaging!

[1] BurrowC=union(BurrowA,BurrowB); BurrowE=intersection(BurrowC,not(BurrowD)); that sort of implementation...