Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is ye purpose here?  (Read 878 times)

Fikilili

• Bay Watcher
  • "Elves make no sense, change my mind."
    • View Profile
What is ye purpose here?
« on: October 03, 2020, 10:51:04 am »

As fortresses come and go, they tend be more or less the same; stronghold underground cities with their own militias, taverns and workshops. But what if they were not? The subject of starting scenarios has been explored from time to time, but I've yet to see a thread that really expanded on that while suggesting the idea. Let's fix that.
Let's say, before you can even choose the location of your fortress, you'd have to pick a "type" of fortress, what would be the point of it, why was it created? Upon picking a type, you choose the location accordingly to your fortress's new purpose. So for example, if you decide to go with a military camp, you would like to be as close as possible from you civ's fortresses. If it's a cultural capital, maybe put it nearby other civs. Etc etc.
Once you select your placement, the game will give you appropriate dwarves and send specific migrants to your locations. Basically, your neighbors send the ones who were specifically selected to join your fortress. Afterwards, you'll have to meet different standards of quality of life. But again, it all depends to what your purpose is.
Here's a list of possible fortress types :

- Classic
The unchanging version of fortress mode, it will just be a regular city.

- Cultural Hotspot
Your king has decided to build one a capital of a new kind! Seven dwarves with great knowledge have been sent to create -FORTRESS NAME-, a place of wonder and entertainement, showcasing dwarven arts to everybody around! Spread the word, create and most importantly, Strike the Earth!
In this scenario, you'll be charge of creating a cultural capital, a place where artists and scholars will unite to propose the best creations known to dwarvenkind. With this, you could create theaters, universities and libraries. As well as restaurants and Inns. Merchants will mostly trade you materials for creation and food, as well as costumes and tools for writing and researches. The local King may also send soldiers to protect your city from goblin invasions, so protection is guaranteed. One of the greatest advantages of it could be that goblins or enemy nations may be less likely to attack you, and have a more diplomatic approach. However, mining will be a problem, as most dwarves will just be there to create and search, not work.

- The Mother of all Mines/The Greatest Forge
A return to the ground, to sacred lands of old and moutains of gold. In the coldest of mountains the dwarves have been sent to create the greatest of mines, to dig and bring back the fanciest of metals and gems. The picks shall sculpt a rockside of many ores and caverns, where dangers lie on top of many treasures! May the god of mines be with you, strike the earth!
After days of marching, the great metalsmiths of -CIV NAME- have settled in a humble place, where in their deep caverns they shall smite their hammers on gorgeous metals and shiny gems. The craftdwarfship of their artefacts shall be wonderous and many expectations awaits the mighty dwarves. Create! For it is what you've been born for! And strike the earth!
These two are more or less the same. You will have more than seven dwarves, and almost all of them will be specialized in mining/metalsmithing. The merchants are likely to expect many artefacts coming from you, so you better polish anything that you do. Most of the migrants would  be extra miners/metalsmiths, jewelers, engravers, stoneworkers, craftdwarves, woodworkers and various farmers, cooks and hunters. Kobolds and dragons would be very attracted to your location, so watch out for them. The military would be feared around as their armor would be very likely to be decorated with terrifying features, and the weapons would be more than effective. However, don't expect much visitors during your game.

-Military camp/Foreign Legion outpost
In the name of the god of war, the dwarves of -CIV NAMES- have settled one kind of a forge. A forge of soldiers, a camp where the mighty and the bold shall thrive and defend the sacred lands of King/Queen -LEADER NAME-. In the name of -GOD OF WAR-, they have swore to master their weapons and smite their enemies into gore. May the future bring you victory and strike the earth!
Military camps are pretty straight forward. Your starting 10 dwarves shall be a militia commander and his little squad. They won't have any schedule or training going on, but they will be able to make any task that you command them to do. More often than not, they wouldn't be that creative, they would just do what they're told. After a while, you'll start recieving migrants, but not just any migrants, wannabe soldiers, or "wanna learn a martial art". They'll know they're not here to mine and dig and make artefacts, they're here to fight and defend fortresses. Dormitories are a must (excepts for militias commanders and captain of the guards and generals, who will have their own rooms), and you will have to settle schedules. So that dwarves could actually practice something else than fighting, like farming, crafting and cooking.
Also; you don't control your dwarves. Liaisons could come to the place and say "The mayor of -FORTRESS- require an elite/competent squad as their guard", or "Some soldiers are required to protect a merchant/royal trail", or "A monster has been seen over -FORTRESS-, they need reinforcements", etc. If your civ is at war, most of your dwarves will have to sent to a specific tower/pit to get rid of goblins.
The borders are unprotected and dangerous, many dangers lie ahead and an evil rises to challenge -CIV NAME-! An army must be risen, and protection is a must! Smite the enemy and Strike the earth!

Foreign legion outposts would probably be located at the border of kingdoms, or far, far away from them. You'll have more starting dwarves, but you'll specialize in many different fields. You'll have to guarantee the security of local dwarf fortresses and much more. And you'll also have to asnwer the needs of the locals. Squads will be more specialized, and some legendary warrios will probably join your outpost. Use them carefully!
Also, the kingdom will sometimes request your presence somewhere, some pay attention to the orders you're given.

-The New Capital/A new hope
The King has demanded the contruction of a mighty city! A great capital where all dwarves will rejoice in the glory of their king! Blessed be -CIV GOD NAME-, for your kind is about to mine the greatest home that this earth has ever seen! Goblins, prepare! For your time of doom is near! Strike the Earth!
From the ashes of ancient civilizations of old, rise a new home for the last dwarves of -WORLD NAME-/-CIV NAME-, they are many, and hope to thrive very soon, to show that dwarvenkind is alive and well, but also determined to show the world, and especially what their enemies, why they've been put onto this world. Strike the Earth!
Think of it as the classic fortress mode, but on a way larger scales. You'll have more dwarves, more talented people and much, much more migrants and projects. Basically Fortress mode on steroids. The presence and the demands of your civ leaders makes it even harder as he'll have almost endless requirements, and with the passage of time, a new king will rise and have different orders. So you must be prepared! Goblins will also try everything to destroy your work, and many different beasts will come destroy your goods. Merchants will come by the thousands, so much so that you'll need many different trade depots! Megaprojects are most welcome! In order words, you'll have the challenge of a lifetime.

-City of the Damned
Kicked out of -FORTRESS NAME-, the dwarves of -EXPEDITION CREW NAME- are ancient criminals who swore to get their reveng. Outcasted, they are alone against the world, and they will show those who wronged them how the gods of death and blood imagined their end! Claim back your honor! Strike the Earth!
In this one, you'll control ex-criminals who get into slimy business with other civs. They could friendly to enemy nations of the civ that kicked them, or even the goblins and clowns themselves! Sometimes, Kobolds may be tempted to even join your fortress, and bring back their stolen goods in there. You'll be safe from most goblin raids, but you'll have other criminals coming to your town, and even the military of your former civ if you get too dangerous for them! I think it would be a nice twist to the usual dwarf fortress formula and see how you could fare in a world that basically hates your guts.
What could be interesting is to have access to various slimy little activities and workshops, like an arena for captured prisoners, torture chambers and cursed rooms of old. The leader wouldn't exactly be the smartest, but probably the most fearsome or the most powerful. Likely, you'll have necromancers or legendary warriors sent there. And if you're not interested in corruption and theft, you could always claim back the honor of your dwarves and start a proper, good civilisation and be pardonned. Who knows!

I got many other ideas, but I'll see where this thread will get first.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 10:54:08 am by Fikilili »
"Military? What's that? Something to eat?"

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is ye purpose here?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 03:17:38 pm »

Fikilili

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 04:17:52 am »

Here are some ideas.
Yeah, those are challenges, but the game doesn't take them into account.

betaking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 07:48:15 pm »

Other Ideas:
Tunnel Depot XYZ..

even moreso if dwarves ever get steamtech which probably won't happen but whatever, even animal pulled trains of carts would probably have advantages over surface wagons.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 10:39:08 pm »

I agree in spirit, Fikilili - but I don't think adding "end points" to the game would particularly suit it. These are better served as community generated challenges. Yes, the game doesn't take that into account, but mods can produce most of this as a sort of "starting scenario".

What I've been doing lately is The Monastery:
Secluded embark - on a small island.
Small population (via Pop Cap)
Building beautiful temples to each of the Gods, and appointing priests for every religion. Large library for producing books and scrolls. It's been a nice quiet place...if you ignore the Forgotten Beasts we locked up.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 10:47:13 pm »

I agree in spirit, Fikilili - but I don't think adding "end points" to the game would particularly suit it. These are better served as community generated challenges. Yes, the game doesn't take that into account, but mods can produce most of this as a sort of "starting scenario".

What I've been doing lately is The Monastery:
Secluded embark - on a small island.
Small population (via Pop Cap)
Building beautiful temples to each of the Gods, and appointing priests for every religion. Large library for producing books and scrolls. It's been a nice quiet place...if you ignore the Forgotten Beasts we locked up.
Starting Scenarios is the official next step of the roadmap after Myth and Magic is done with (many years away yet, but still). So it's worth considering how this could look beyond mods and community challenges.

Hopefully it's something open ended though. You set off to create a jail, your interactions with the Mountainhome are based on you supposedly running a jail, but in actuality your guards and prisoners have formed a free-love utopia just because that's what the player feels like. Um, for example...

Fikilili

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2020, 12:02:29 pm »

I agree in spirit, Fikilili - but I don't think adding "end points" to the game would particularly suit it.
I wasn't thinking of adding "end points" to DF because, well, there is no such thing as an end in this game. But I was thinking of giving your fortress a purpose and let the game know about it so it adapts itself to your current goals. When you try to make a militaristic fortress for example, you'll still end up with dwarves who aren't interested in martial arts, and if you're unlucky, your militias might end up being very ineffective, or you'll have soldiers who flee on the first sight of blood shed. It's all about telling the game what you want to do.
Well, scenarios are an idea, but we could also think of a menu that lets you detail the point of your fortress. So much ideas !