Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Kobold garbage collector caravan.  (Read 2134 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold garbage collector caravan.
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2020, 12:26:43 pm »

The triggers as are include that a certain amount of wealth taken already forces the kobolds to prompt a organized attack, but since this is almost nigh impossible for overlapping reasons (kobold caves are out of the way, and get eaten by monsters, thieves are weak to modern DF tactics etc) until kobolds have had a better population stability and took out of the skulking shadows a bit more they're a bit naff.

I do like the idea of garbage pickers or more functionality even for a few garbage picker dwarves & goblins of a much poorer societal caste to be found around the poor quarter of towns wearing xxbrokenxx clothes and animalmen free to clothe themselves to cover their nakedness in whatever they like. But this might better if its simply a peddler than a caravan, least it solves the problem of selling bad quality clothes as a exploit to the caravan if they suddenly become picky.

• If underground tribes would at times be used as both mercenaries & diplomats by kobolds it'd solve a lot of problems about how by making them more likely to outreach for help using their stolen wealth, they could also source some members in a active role as guards & interpreters since kobolds are weak utterers (speaking both tongues) and underground people's have identical ethical sets.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 12:34:46 pm by FantasticDorf »

betaking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2020, 01:39:07 am »

The idea of some civ diplomatically coming to your fort to collect excess stone or trash instead of directly trading for it would be even more interesting.

There should be some kind of "Contracting system" where a human or whatever kingdom can send a representative and request a contract for stone blocks.

you should be able to alter the deal a little with a counter-offer, politely decline the offer, decline the offer with a gift of goodwill saying "we don't have excess production capacity at the moment please don't take it personally though", or rudely decline the offer.

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2020, 02:32:33 pm »

I don't use the bridge destruction bug

leave, fool! it's called ATOM-SMASHING and nothing else is acceptable

I like this idea quite a bit, and truthfully you could likely implement it in the current version with a few quick raw modifications. Making a new civ, calling the whatever you want for flavor (Trash-bolds, Collectors, Tinkers, etc). Though I'm not sure how you would adjust the trader pricing so that it would feel different from any other caravan.

Along these same lines, think about all that extra stone you have. If you don't atom smash or dump it in magam-chutes, then it is likely wasting space. It would be wonderful if some kind of lithovoric species would visit once in a blue moon, and assuming you gave them permission, swept through your fortress eating all excess stone, or hauling it off for later consumption.

I think the general idea of visitor-led trash reduction is great. Nice suggestion!

It could be a caravan with either nothing to offer or else they'd be selling some really weird junk for bargain prices. Their sales would more be like their gift to you because you are such a good guy giving them trash - and it would maybe be fun if new players treated them like a normal caravan and bought like broken bones and worn down goblin hats because they assumed it was a "serious" caravan offering stuff you needed.

I like throwing stone in there as well. Me personally, I like having the stones lying around, but I guess some players want rid of them. So I think the game should offer a fun dwarf fortressish way of achieving that, and lithivores seem great to me. Fun would ensue of they ate all the bitiminous coal you had not got around to processing yet. You should be able to tell them only to eat specific types of stones.

I'd love to have a friendly stone giant moping around eating rocks.

Arne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2020, 05:19:58 pm »

A bird creature such as a fantasy vulture-seagull-raven seems natural. We're used to seeing vultures, trash-heap seagulls, battlefield ravens... could be a kind of atmospheric sight. Birds don't need a base and could just show up anywhere on the surface, take stuff and disappear. Easy to implement, I'd think. Might get annoying if you don't wish it to happen but desired trash could go underground or perhaps the birds avoid something (scarecrows).
Won't show up early-game. They could use/need specific trash for their nests. Enough nests triggers an event (big-bird).

Pages: 1 [2]