Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: its raining, except it's not  (Read 2098 times)

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
its raining, except it's not
« on: September 23, 2020, 12:18:02 pm »

small issue on my map, on the lower left part of the screen it says it's raining and soundsense starts the rain sound

it's like that since i started my fortress but not a single drop of rain has ever hit my dorfs (with my pleasant surprise, one less issue for my stressed dorfs)

why is that? more biome on my embark which makes it rain in a small section of my embark map? or another kind of bug?

if I df hack weather clear, will it rain again normally or my weather will be forever clear?
http://dwarffortressitalia.tumblr.com/

Italian blog about Dwarf Fortress

Il primo blog italiano su Dwarf Fortress

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: its raining, except it's not
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 04:04:18 pm »

Have you checked the entire embark region for rainfall? Weather is biome-specific, so it's certainly possible for it to be only raining in one corner of the fortress while the rest is sunny.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 04:34:21 pm »

You should be able to select the "it's raining" announcement and 'z'oom to the location of the rainfall (which will help you determine if it is only in one corner of the map). Also note that in heavily forested areas, trees can block most rain.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 04:54:19 pm by anewaname »
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 05:32:49 pm »

Also note that you can have evil rain in the air biome. This rain won't reach the ground, but can land on buildings and trees, as well as leave invisible "puddles" up in the air. Evil rain gives a different announcement, though, although I have no idea what Soundsense does with it.

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 01:54:19 am »

it's raining since the start of the game so no announcment to select

it's mildly annoying to have a bugged weather, what should I do? just dfhack the hell out of it?

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 05:35:15 am »

it's raining since the start of the game so no announcment to select

it's mildly annoying to have a bugged weather, what should I do? just dfhack the hell out of it?

soooo, anyone?

what will happen if I play with dfhack weather? I don't like to meddle with that but that continuous rain in a small tile of the map is annoying

but i don't like never having rain either... which I assume will happen if i use dfhack

Naia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 07:18:53 am »

You can mute individual sounds in soundsense, so if this is just the annoyance from having soundsense playing the rain sound constantly, just mute that one.

Or if you really want to get rid of it, you can locate that particular file and delete it from the sound pack. ( make a backup ofc. )

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 07:41:39 am »

Do both at once and rename it. (soundfilename.extension.ignorableextension if you don't have known filetype extensions hidden by default, soundfilename.ignorethis(.thehiddenextension) if you do or just choose not to totally denature it for simpler customisable reintegration at a later date)

Not really a solution to your rain problem, but just a general hint'n'tip. The number of times I've renamed problematic.exe files as problematic.xex, temporarily or permanently according to how things went when I did that, or made my currentdocument.doc into currentdocument.doc.v20100828 after copying the working copy onto some media with the expectation of it coming back updated and thus outdating the 'home' copy that should probably not be opened without full awareness. So many different ways of doing it, that obviously need to suit the person, circumstance and expectations of what future-self (or non-self) might have to make of it. So YMMV, obviously. Given the easy reavailability of soundsense files, just deleting it won't (shouldn't!) hurt. Any more than any other method that could invoke "Cannot find file <foo> in <resource dir>!" announcements/errorlogs, or however it reacts.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2020, 02:12:49 pm »

but i don't like never having rain either... which I assume will happen if i use dfhack
Effectively, you already have no rain. You have no wet dwarfs and have no "the rain has stopped|started" announcements. If you lua to SetCurrentWeather,, the lower-left "Rain" indicator will clear and the rain sounds will stop, but it will not solve the problem that DF is not starting and stopping the rain.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2020, 08:18:12 am »

Effectively, you already have no rain. You have no wet dwarfs and have no "the rain has stopped|started" announcements. If you lua to SetCurrentWeather,, the lower-left "Rain" indicator will clear and the rain sounds will stop, but it will not solve the problem that DF is not starting and stopping the rain.
you got my issue correctly, basically my biome is stuck with drought except for one square meter, which is ridiculous

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2020, 11:18:44 am »

ok no

I think this is a bug, caused by... I don't know, soundsense? dfhack?

this is the soundsense log

11/10/2020 11:15:44.961: Spring has arrived on the calendar.
11/10/2020 11:15:46.227: The weather has cleared.
11/10/2020 11:50:43.191: ** Starting New Outpost **
11/10/2020 11:50:43.760: Calling external tool: ..\..\..\Dwarf Fortress 0.47.04/dfhack-run soundsense
11/10/2020 11:50:50.562: Calling external tool: ..\..\..\Dwarf Fortress 0.47.04/dfhack-run soundsense failed: 1
11/10/2020 06:15:26.043: ** Loading Fortress **
11/10/2020 06:15:43.946: Spring has arrived on the calendar.
11/10/2020 06:15:45.479: It has started raining.
11/10/2020 06:15:44.491: Calling external tool: ..\..\..\Dwarf Fortress 0.47.04/dfhack-run soundsense
11/10/2020 06:15:47.027: Loaded region1, Bagsnubstrasp (The Wondrous Planets) at coordinates (91,64)
11/10/2020 06:15:48.212: Loaded the fortress Kulink¹buk (Palmlanced), colonized by the group R¯sen Nanir (The Coal of Rhyming) of the civilization ShukarmistÛm (The Tall Portals).
11/10/2020 06:15:51.178: Calling external tool: ..\..\..\Dwarf Fortress 0.47.04/dfhack-run soundsense failed: 1

I created another world and started a new fortress and as you can see, this happens, when i load the game, it starts "raining" except it's not raining at all

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2020, 07:32:20 pm »

If this was a problem with any one package, others would have already found it, so... you probably did it :p

What packages/add-ons/versions are you using (LNP, dfhack, etc)? Did you make changes to the soundsense config to include/exclude sounds based on text strings?

In your log excerpt,
Do these same three lines of text appear in a search of your gamelog.txt? Is there a it-has-stopped-raining message later in the gamelog.txt?

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2020, 03:08:38 am »

If this was a problem with any one package, others would have already found it, so... you probably did it :p

What packages/add-ons/versions are you using (LNP, dfhack, etc)? Did you make changes to the soundsense config to include/exclude sounds based on text strings?

In your log excerpt,
Do these same three lines of text appear in a search of your gamelog.txt? Is there a it-has-stopped-raining message later in the gamelog.txt?

i use the basic lazy newb pack, i tell soundsense to download the package of sounds from it, i didn't touch anything else

where is the log?

anyway this thing happens every time i load a fortress except the starting one

it is notable that in my previous fortress while I had this bug it started raining in summer then after a month it stopped, both messages appeared in the announcement menu 'a' but the "rain" alert in the lower left kept appearing

is it a dfhack problem?

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2020, 09:03:26 am »

in the end, the only workaround i've found is using "weather clear" on every game load and stop the weather sound from soundsense

weather can get rainy normally during the game so the previous command doesn't ruin the game experience

but it's mildly annoying

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2020, 05:51:22 pm »

The gamelog.txt is located in the main df folder. Use a text editor to open it (not a word processor app). Basically, DF puts all announcements and combat reports there, so you can relive the terrors and joys of a fort by reading through it.

The problem is related to dfhack; it is reading weather info from DF incorrectly but this is probably because of something in your install or settings; this problem would have been noticed and fixed quickly.

I would try this... download the latest version of the LNP, install it in a new folder, copy the old saves over and try it out.
Pages: [1] 2