Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caravan "still unloading"  (Read 2676 times)

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Caravan "still unloading"
« on: September 24, 2020, 03:36:03 am »

Can't trade because the caravan is still unloading two weeks after arriving.

Nobody had any particularly useful suggestions or, for that matter, any suggestions at all, but some time after the "caravan is leaving soon" message and the caravan actually leaving, the unusually lethargic traders somehow managed to finish unloading and I bought them out, as I usually do after removing the most astoundingly useless items they have for trade.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 11:22:15 pm by muldrake »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Caravan "still unloading"
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 02:08:00 am »

I've been getting a lot more wagons stuck halfway in the depot or unloading only half their stuff (seeing caged animals which aren't for trade). I've never heard of them finishing unloading AFTER the ready to leave message, though...

I'm not sure there's much to do, muldrake - upload and chuck it on the tracker is basically it right now. DFHack might have some scripts that help.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 02:25:38 am »

I've been getting a lot more wagons stuck halfway in the depot or unloading only half their stuff (seeing caged animals which aren't for trade). I've never heard of them finishing unloading AFTER the ready to leave message, though...

I'm not sure there's much to do, muldrake - upload and chuck it on the tracker is basically it right now. DFHack might have some scripts that help.

I don't think I saved it at the right time to replicate it.  It could be a number of things.  It had already been taking excessively long to unload but a marsh titan attacked and got killed right in the depot, so that might have discombobulated them even more.  The trade depot was also particularly full of junk from buying out a previous caravan and never getting everything stockpiled.  As well, I had requested a LOT of various items the previous year, so there was a lot more junk in the new caravan too.

I honestly think they might have just had a lot to unload.

The titan didn't even touch or disturb any of the merchants, being killed almost immediately after killing nothing but a cat.  It was an absurdly flimsy insectoid creature which amounted to little more than a free food delivery.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 02:37:52 am »

That'll do it - I had a 15 year fort or so which was very prosperous. I was low on steel and ordered a lot of stuff (including things that would likely be steel so I could melt them) and it would take the whole season to unload. But again, the ready to leave message happening early is real weird.

Pilvenuga

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 12:54:36 pm »

I used to have the same issue

I think it might have been caused by trade goods that i didn't trade to the previous traders and had cluttering up the depot. Dismantling and rebuilding the depot fixed it for me though

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 05:56:11 pm »

One of the traders didn't make it to the depot and the others keep waiting until it is time to go again.
Most likely you find a forbidden pile of things somewhere.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2020, 08:12:21 pm »

One of the traders didn't make it to the depot and the others keep waiting until it is time to go again.
Most likely you find a forbidden pile of things somewhere.

I think it just took an uncharacteristically long time because of being crowded and maybe events that occurred in between "unloading" starting and finishing.  After all, it did ultimately finish with nobody new showing up.  I also fairly routinely do a full inventory and unforbid anything laying around that doesn't seem to have any good reason for being forbidden (and is not obviously attached to a visitor).

I built a much larger spillover stockpile for basically everything and after hauling most of it there, unloading seems to go faster.  Caravans are weird and that's not even going into the fact that if you make wagons sentient they can worship gods.