Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is my fort in a bugged state?  (Read 736 times)

gbnaro

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Is my fort in a bugged state?
« on: October 11, 2020, 08:39:48 am »

Hey there! I've started playing DF two months ago so I apologize if this is an obvious question, but I've lurked around and couldn't find a definitive answer.

I think my Fortress is in a weird bugged peace state. This is my third fort ever, as I've been learning the ropes until the inevitable end comes. I've been taking screenshots when things start to look ugly and this is how I segway to the main point of this post.

In the year 254 of my world(2 years in from embark) an ENORMOUS siege has come. I've been watching DasTactic and other videos on DF but I've never seen a siege so large, is like all the races came together to attack me:

As they came from the north I activated my Alerts, drawn the bridge and thought just how much fun was I about to have, but I wouldn't just give in. I had enough food and drinks inside the fort, so I thought I might wait and read some tutorials/wiki on siege weapons while new Ranged Squads trained so I could have a fighting chance while I build siege parts and learned how to use them.

The attacking army couldn't get through the moat, so phase 1 complete.

When I noticed this would be a waiting game I devised my defense plan, wrote it down and Saved/Quit the game to try and finish the siege later. Next day I've booted up the game and loaded my file, but the Siege was gone, vanished. The bodies I've killed where still in the corpse pile, but the campers were just gone.

At the time I've just ignored it, that it may be some kind of urist ex machina that just postponed my end by a small time. However, I've just entered Spring 257, almost 3 years since the Siege, and my didn't get attacked again by anyone, except the ocasional Kobold thief. I've just recently been learning about the World Map and Civ relations, and inspecting the surroundings of my fort I'm positive I should be getting attacked since there is a 5k population Goblin Fort (thought it was dorfs) near me, and we're at war.

Is it possible that this disappearing siege has left my Fort in a bugged state where the game won't throw any sieges at me because it think's there is one going on or something?

And a side-question: what kind of attack is this? Are multi-race armies a common thing or the siege itself might be bugged aswell?

Thanks!

EDIT: using LNP with DF 0.47.04
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 08:51:08 am by gbnaro »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Is my fort in a bugged state?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 08:57:54 am »

Yeah, sieges come from a civilization. All civs start as one race (dwarf, goblin, etc) but through history adopt others through conquest or refugees. It's not uncommon among goblins especially, as they will kidnap babies and raise them as their own.

So this siege - I would say is a goblin civ siege almost definitely. The elves are crossbowmen (instead of archers) and lashers, which is a favorite weapon of the goblins. I suppose it could be a human civ as well, but judging by where you said the fort is located, it's probably from them.

This is surely strange - if you have a copy of the save from 254, that would be useful. Have you sent dwarves to that part of the map? The game could have set them as ambushers, or something. If they left of their own accord and you missed it, three years isn't impossible for no siege to come, but you are right that it's unlikely.

Have you sent out any raids to further antagonize the goblins?

gbnaro

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 09:13:01 am »

I don't have a save backed up from then and I've been keep playing this Fort.

Yeah, sieges come from a civilization. All civs start as one race (dwarf, goblin, etc) but through history adopt others through conquest or refugees. It's not uncommon among goblins especially, as they will kidnap babies and raise them as their own.

So this siege - I would say is a goblin civ siege almost definitely. The elves are crossbowmen (instead of archers) and lashers, which is a favorite weapon of the goblins. I suppose it could be a human civ as well, but judging by where you said the fort is located, it's probably from them.

I see. That makes sense, I've found that I'm a bit too close to big Goblin Forts and Human Pits that on embark I thought it was a flourishing Dwarf civilization haha.

(Just curiosity, but) What about those units that don't show race like "Bosa Rosusmnguslu, Criminal" on that last screenshot?

This is surely strange - if you have a copy of the save from 254, that would be useful. Have you sent dwarves to that part of the map? The game could have set them as ambushers, or something. If they left of their own accord and you missed it, three years isn't impossible for no siege to come, but you are right that it's unlikely.

Have you sent out any raids to further antagonize the goblins?

I'm positive I didn't send any dwarfs away at that time, neither missed them leaving the map. They were stationed in a hill when I saved and quit, but weren't there anymore when I loaded the save.

Since then I've sent some dwarves to a near empty Monastery to get some books and to a near Goblin site that has a population of ~20 so I could learn the basics on raiding, but they never fought back also.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 11:23:51 am »

(Just curiosity, but) What about those units that don't show race like "Bosa Rosusmnguslu, Criminal" on that last screenshot?

They're of your fort's main race, i.e., dwarves.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 11:50:25 am »

The elves (at least some of them) have goblin names, and so I support the suggestion that it's a goblin siege. The siege itself is large, but far from the maximum with the default values (there can be a huge number of trolls, ogres, and beak dogs in addition to the main forces).

The siegers disappearing is definitely weird, although it doesn't block further sieges (at least not from elsewhere) as you've gotten kobolds.

I don't think there's any known way to determine if another civ is bugged or not, although it might be possible to detect if they don't send out any parties at all (but I don't think there are any scripts written for that).

gbnaro

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 02:08:16 pm »

Awesome. Goblin Siege makes sense. Didn't know they captured babies and raised them, that is awesome!

I'm pretty positive that this it. Is there any way I can debug this siege to see what happened? Or to see if this is still going in some way?

I'd like to keep playing this fort because I don't like to abandon the dwarves, but I feel like this is kinda cheating haha

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2020, 04:16:10 pm »

There's been bugs where the siege condition isn't lifted, but in those cases the siege indication doesn't go away.

If you still have the save where the invaders should remain, but are gone when it's loaded, it might be possible to find the army and see where it's heading (probably back to where it started), otherwise it's probably not possible.

Armies are messy and poorly understood (at least 3 different types involved in a normal siege), and are removed from the relevant structures at various times for unknown reasons, while still actually existing (unless references in armies that are still in the structures are referencing data that's been removed). Thus, it's hard to try to make sense of it even if you have some idea of how it works, and I'm not sure you'd get anything useful out of it even if you did.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2020, 06:02:36 pm »

I'd like to keep playing this fort because I don't like to abandon the dwarves, but I feel like this is kinda cheating haha

You might try sending out raids against other civs if they're within reach - you should be able to encourage sieges from elves/towers/humans/other goblins that way. If no one ever comes, then you'll know for sure that there's something bugged.