Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pile of Salt?? How can this exist and what can I do with it?  (Read 1884 times)

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pile of Salt?? How can this exist and what can I do with it?
« on: September 24, 2020, 06:46:59 am »

I'm running a fotress with magnetite-ore, beside some sea. When it was winter, i digged town in the water, to get to one of the magnetite's clusters. I used a single up-down stair. At the bottom, i carved a upward staircase in the ice. after clearing out the cluster, I surrounded the remaining ice at the bottom with wood, to prevent the sea from filling up the space.

Now, winter is gone and the ice has melted. When I checked my diggingspot, I spotted a Pile of Salt at this spot! very strange! Does anyone knows what I can do with it? can I generate more? Is it a bug?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pile of Salt?? How can this exist and what can I do with it?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 07:40:24 am »

I haven't encountered it, but it seems reasonable that salt water evaporating would leave behind salt contaminants that would probably be salty mud. If it's a contaminant you can't do anything with it except possibly spread it around using the normal contaminant spreading logic.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 11:21:26 am »

You can certainly make more piles of salt by deliberately evaporating seawater. In the ancient world, that was a great way to generate income. Early Rome might not have developed so quickly without its nearby salt marshes. And in some parts of the world, they still collect salt that way.

But it's just a contaminant in DF, equivalent to mud, blood, vomit, etc. You can't collect it or use it. If you want to get rid of it, you can build on top of it and then remove the building.

I wonder: Does salt contamination prevent grass, plants, and trees from growing on a tile?

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 02:09:36 am »

Right, thanks!

I'll try find some use for it ;-)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 06:31:27 am »

My comprehensive list of everything you can do with a pile of salt:
  • Be married to it.
...no, sorry, that's yer Lot!

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 06:40:27 am »

maybe I can unretire my adventurer, take the salt, put it in a bag, play again as my fortress, and then sell it.
:-D but it'll cost me 28 days, after which my fortress will be a mess.
So im not sure if that will be worth it, BUT at least I'll have done something meaningfull with The Pile Of Salt

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 06:57:27 am »

By the time the pillar eroded into a pile, would you still be able to have children?
Oh well, if it's your Lot in life to marry it, roll with it!
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2020, 04:35:43 pm »

I wonder: Does salt contamination prevent grass, plants, and trees from growing on a tile?

That could be useful if you have a sand or clay collection point you want kept clear...
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2020, 05:32:31 am »

That could be useful if you have a sand or clay collection point you want kept clear...

you can just build a floor grate over the sand or clay tile, and that’ll stop plants growing on it, while still allowing collection. if it’s already overgrown, construct and then remove a floor, and then build your floor grate