Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What happend when a risen Damned One meetes his own ghost?  (Read 639 times)

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What happend when a risen Damned One meetes his own ghost?
« on: September 25, 2020, 06:14:07 am »

So. Just wondering.
I hope there is a way to somehow re-combinethe two.

Situation: someone dies. After a while: his ghost rises, due to not being remembered. Also, a necromancer in "mortal fear" raises the deads persons body as a Damned One, or somehow as an intelligent undead.
Is there some kind of special interaction, any kind, between the two parts of the former united entity?

I'm imagining how I would react if I was a ghost, seeing my own dead body reanimated.. :-( Ew..

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What happend when a risen Damned One meetes his own ghost?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 10:25:07 am »

I tried to test this once. Unfortunately, the results were inconclusive. All of the bodies rotted to "partial skeleton" state before any ghosts had risen, which I think is too decomposed to reanimate.

My intuition says that this situation can't happen. Intelligent undead and ghosts both use the unique "soul" of the original dwarf, and that's never supposed to be duplicated. If there were a situation where a necromancer had access to a fresh dwarf corpse while their ghost is flying around, I'd expect one of two outcomes:
  • The body won't be a valid resurrection target so it will just be raised as a regular zombie.
  • The ghost will disappear as soon as the body is resurrected.

The unique soul aspect of intelligent undead is probably the cause of some of their weird bugs. Like how if you send them out on missions they might come back as a semi-controllable ghost. The game recognizes that they're "dead" and not memorialized so it tries to raise them as a ghost but can't because their soul is already taken. Sending them off the map provides an opportunity for the ghost-raising code to sneak in and replace the undead body.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord