Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No shell for moods?  (Read 1071 times)

praptak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No shell for moods?
« on: September 25, 2020, 07:07:34 am »

So I am not getting any pond turtles either in murky pools or artificial ponds. I thought all biomes produced them but it seems no longer the case (or perhaps never has been).

The traded creatures are prepared and don't produce any shells.

Can I do anything else to get shell? Waiting for an appropriate FB seems like a crapshoot.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No shell for moods?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 11:18:00 am »

Nothing is guaranteed to be present in a biome: it's a random selection among what's permitted. Elven caravans occasionally bring live shelled creatures (including pond turtles), there are giant turtles, armadillos, and a few other shelled land animals that elves can bring in, as well as ones you can have wandering in on your embark, if the biome is suitable. You may also find pond turtles in cavern lakes, I believe, but, again, you have to be lucky (or at least not unlucky).

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 05:30:09 pm »

You may also find pond turtles in cavern lakes, I believe, but, again, you have to be lucky (or at least not unlucky).
I wouldn't expect pond turtles to show up in caverns unless you carved out your own pool and filled it with water - any natural cavern lakes would only contain creatures native to that cavern layer.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 05:34:49 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

praptak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 02:57:36 pm »

Thank you both. No luck with either caverns or dug-out ponds. Well, I guess I must count on FBs or dwarves not wanting shell...

TubaDragoness

• Bay Watcher
  • o3o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 03:10:00 pm »

I usually get mussels from brooks, but if you don't have running water, you could be in trouble. Good luck!

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 02:34:09 am »

There are some shelled vermin you can catch, not just pond turtles but oysters and mussels.  Giant snails leave shells, if you are lucky enough to have them.  Apparently you can actually create a pond with the bucket brigade method and if you do it outdoors it might generate pond turtles eventually, probably not in time to save an already moody dwarf, though.  I think you need the pit/pond zone designation and some water.  I've never actually done this on purpose (other than to muddy rocks for farming), so I don't know how effective it actually is.

Annoyingly I think shells actually eventually decay.  They're the most annoying of all mood related items.  Apparently you can edit the raws to add shells to other animals, or to use other materials in lieu of shells, but that's probably cheating.

You might also somehow be able to manipulate moods by training other skills that don't use shells higher, or just outright get rid of dwarves with a preference for shells.  I'm not sure if this is really practical.