Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Car tires slowly leaking (all four).  (Read 2657 times)

femmelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Car tires slowly leaking (all four).
« on: September 06, 2020, 04:46:10 pm »

So I'm awful at car stuff, clearly. Anyhow. All four of my tires slowly leak. I put a lot of air in about once every 3 to 4 weeks (10-15 pounds). This has been going on a very long time.
I've had the valve stems replaced. Still.... I can find no obvious damage (nail or whatever), and it wouldn't effect all four tires....

I don't care anymore. If I have to buy new tires I will, but I want to make sure that's the issue. I also do not want to look like a total moron in front of whoever I take this to (shop, etc).
I am a total moron. I just don't want to look like one, and I want to be less of a moron.

Has anyone else had this issue? I'm thinking (and remember I suck at cars) it could logically be the tires (or some part of it), or the wheels (rims?).

Thoughts?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Car tires slowly leaking (all four).
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 04:52:40 pm »

Get a spray bottle, and fill it with with soapy water.

Fill the tires to rated pressure, then spray the tires liberally all over.  You might need to jack the car up so the wheels can spin freely to get good coverage/get a good test.

Spray liberally-- like, dripping sopping wet.  Look for where the bubbles are coming from. 

Once you have identified where on the tires the leak(s) are, it is time to evaluate.

Case A:  Leackage is occuring in the tire tread area.
  Possible fix: Many automotive tire places can install a thin rubber "shoe" (or "boot") to the inside of the tire, with a special adhesive, which can address these kinds of leaks. IF however, the tire tread has worn down sufficiently that you can no longer "stick a penny in the tread, and not touch the edge of the penny once fully inserted", you need to replace your tires ANYWAY, and I would suggest using the money to get new tires.

Case B: Leak is in the sidewall, and or, is leaking from around the valve stem.
   Replace tire.  No quality fix for this.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 07:08:13 pm »

All 4 leaking at once probably means you have corroded alloy rims and air seeps out between the rim and tire.
If you have all 4 tires unmounted & remounted on the rims it may fix it.
Have the rims wire-brushed along the bead where the tires seal before remounting.
That's what I would do.
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 12:25:50 am »

You mentioned that the problem has existed for a while. During that 3rd or 4th week where you are driving with 10-15 lbs low, there is risk if you need to turn suddenly at higher speeds (avoiding something in the road). So, if you choose to leave it for a while before fixing it, consider changing it to a weekly air-filling.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Сontrast-spam

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 04:51:35 am »

better contact the professionals. I did this myself last time that turned out more expensive ((

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 05:33:18 am »

...and I don't suppose there's a chance someone's passing your street-parked car early every morning and (for whatever reason) letting just a little air out of each tyre?

Just sounds too much that you're not getting a single failure, perhaps overlapping with a second, perhaps a third happens to go while you didn't notice the first two yet... But all four?

« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 06:27:21 am by Starver »