Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for good and affordable drawing tablet to get for niece  (Read 2765 times)

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
Looking for good and affordable drawing tablet to get for niece
« on: September 25, 2020, 10:51:26 pm »

My soon-to-be six year old niece's birthday is around the corner. She likes to draw, so I thought about getting her a drawing tablet as a gift. Thing is, I really have no idea what I should be looking for, save that it be easy to use, easy to install, and affordable. Anyone got any suggestions?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for good and affordable drawing tablet to get for niece
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 10:20:41 am »

Er... sorry. I should be more clear. By drawing tablet, I mean a computer input device that allows hand-drawing in a digital interface. My niece already has a few toys like above, not to mention plenty of crayons, simple painting oils, and canvas papers. Now, I'm thinking it's a good time to try and nudge her towards the realm of digital art. She already likes messing around with 3D Paint and simple art programs for kids. I figure she'd enjoy being able to hand-draw things in those programs with something more precise than a mouse. Hopefully, with a bit of guidance, she'd be able to expand further.

As for budget, anything less than $100 bucks is on the table, a bit more if I could be convinced the item in question is very durable and worth the value.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 10:30:06 am by ShinQuickMan »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 03:08:04 pm »

A few years back I got a decent cheap knockoff one from newegg that has served my purposes just fine. I won't bother to explicitly recommend the exact brand because it was irrelevant and I'm not even sure if it's still produced: rather, this is a vote for 'anything you find with decent reviews that promises, eg, plug-and-play functionality should be adequate'.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 09:25:57 pm »

Honestly, any of the ones on amazon around the $40-$100 range should fit your bill. The real question is whether to get one that has a screen built into the tablet itself, whichll run you probably $200 on the cheap end. These screens are of varying quality (with some real high def pro shit in the many thousands of dollars range), but it IS a huge help to be able to see your hands/motions AND the drawing at the same time.

Ain't nothing wrong with tablets w/o screens, many people love them, but personally I always found them to be a bit imprecise (and im no pro).
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 09:42:05 pm »

A'ight. Guess I've got more to consider. Thanks for your suggestions.

gamer31

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2020, 05:06:45 am »

Hey
maybe it's still interesting for you but i have bought for my godchild the Fire HD 8 Kids Edition-Tablet, which i found on this review: https://www.technikhiwi.de/kinder-tablet-test/. My godchild is 4 years old, so this is a good one for younger kids. I don't know exactly if it is also something for your niece but maybe you can think about it :)

Enjoy the Birthday :)

P.S. Don't know if you're speaking german, cause the review is in german. But it can be translated easily with i don't know..Google or something like that ;)

Nice Weekend y'all.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2020, 09:46:24 pm »

Heheh. Thanks for the suggestion, but her birthday just finished a few hours ago.  :P