Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a way to "look" at people outside of fortress or adventure mode?  (Read 839 times)

Brelf91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Or is there an utility program, which can show me how historical figures actually look like?

If not, is there a reason for it? Will it be implemented later?

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a way to "look" at people outside of fortress or adventure mode?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 03:19:53 pm »

Hey, anybody know if physical appearance data is generated during world-gen?  Or does it just pull something from it's nether-regions the first time a particular hist-fig shows up in fortress or adventure mode?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 06:29:00 pm »

Or is there an utility program, which can show me how historical figures actually look like?

I'm afraid not, but I'm extremely interested by the development of such tool. Unfortunately, for now if you want to see what someone looks like, you have to meet them in game.

Hey, anybody know if physical appearance data is generated during world-gen?  Or does it just pull something from it's nether-regions the first time a particular hist-fig shows up in fortress or adventure mode?
Physical apparence of a hist fig is generated once the figure is pulled from the pool of nameless characters and given an identity. It's not *completely* random as it respects the phenotype of the pool of characters it comes from (skin color, eye color, hair color, some physical features, their cultural clothings and hairstyles etc). Thats why your dwarves usually look similar to each other to an extent.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 11:10:21 pm »

I'm afraid not, but I'm extremely interested by the development of such tool. Unfortunately, for now if you want to see what someone looks like, you have to meet them in game.

Physical apparence of a hist fig is generated once the figure is pulled from the pool of nameless characters and given an identity. It's not *completely* random as it respects the phenotype of the pool of characters it comes from (skin color, eye color, hair color, some physical features, their cultural clothings and hairstyles etc). Thats why your dwarves usually look similar to each other to an extent.
They will bear any wounds and scars they picked up during Worldgen. Although, apart from that, is their any proof that hist-figs are given descriptions the moment they become historical figures, and not just on-the-fly when a player actually encounters them in Adventurer or Fortress mode?

You'd think if that were the case, Dfhack would have found a way to pull them up by now.

Brelf91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My workaround for the situation:
1. Make an adventurer of the choosen civ.
2. Hit "r" on appearance and take notes on what doesn't change. ("Black Hair" for example)
3. Fill in the blanks with your imagination.
4. Profit?!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Unless I'm mistaken, looks are stored in the Units, and those are offloaded into files when not in use. Thus, a tool that could interpret the contents of those files ought to be able to provide the info. Since DFHack deals with the things loaded in memory such a thing may either be an external tool or one using DFHack as a framework for presentation of the info. I don't know whether the Unit info is generated when the hist fig becomes historical or when it is first needed, though, but given how DF usually deals with it, I'd guess it's generated only when needed.