Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best way to handle temples?  (Read 3758 times)

laagamer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Best way to handle temples?
« on: September 27, 2020, 10:37:30 pm »

Hey guys!

So, I've got a fortress with a temple built to every deity available, yet I still have a bunch of dwarfs that are unhappy about being unable to worship.

The deities they're unhappy about have temples.

Any ideas to avoid this?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to handle temples?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 12:35:13 am »

Do they worship multiple deities? I believe there's a bug where dwarves will 1. Be unfocused from not praying, so they 2. Seek out the prayer activity but 3. Give priority to the first god in their list of deities. If they don't have a ton of time to work through their whole list, or if they have too many gods to ever work through the list, they might never do it.

I have adequate success with a very beautiful temple dedicated to no god in particular at the center of the fort. I'll make specific ones when religions ask for it, or for a noble I like, but otherwise nonspecific seems to help this (I guess the dwarf just cycles through their prayers without leaving to find the other deity's temple.

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 10:01:43 am »

PetGreySquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 11:32:55 am »

I have resorted to making a "Go pray you beardy mother f***ers" burrow to get around this, and usually I'll just lock everyone in it as a military alert for a couple weeks if focus is dropping due to lack of temple time. Even single-deity dwarves will often never go pray on their own if they work in a busy enough industry, I'm not sure if praying is just very low priority, or if they have to have "no job" for a bit before they'll do it. I use a similar "Everyone gets crammed into the same 3 room burrow" approach to socializing needs, since dwarves won't throw a party on their own anymore.
Multi-deity dwarves will work through their deity list in the order they're listed in the needs section if given a no specific diety temple from what I've seen, so they'll need a *lot* of down time to get through them all. Normally I don't bother and just let them be unfocused. The stress from the bad thought for not praying is usually not too bad, and if they get to pray to just one or two of them once in a while they seem to not fall below "Overall, <name> is unfocused by unmet needs" so they're not too heavily penalized.
As for temple... I usually designate a handful of meeting areas assigned as a single "No particular deity" temple complex, so there's always a nearby temple wherever my dwarf happens to be when they realize they don't have any real work to be doing. Temples to specific deities don't seem to be particularly worthwhile unless it is in response to a petition from that temple's followers (Or you just want to make them -- it can definitely be fun, sometimes Fun, and occasionally !!FUN!! to build thematically-appropriate temples for each of your fort's deities.)

laagamer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 02:07:04 pm »

I have resorted to making a "Go pray you beardy mother f***ers" burrow to get around this, and usually I'll just lock everyone in it as a military alert for a couple weeks if focus is dropping due to lack of temple time. Even single-deity dwarves will often never go pray on their own if they work in a busy enough industry, I'm not sure if praying is just very low priority, or if they have to have "no job" for a bit before they'll do it. I use a similar "Everyone gets crammed into the same 3 room burrow" approach to socializing needs, since dwarves won't throw a party on their own anymore.
Multi-deity dwarves will work through their deity list in the order they're listed in the needs section if given a no specific diety temple from what I've seen, so they'll need a *lot* of down time to get through them all. Normally I don't bother and just let them be unfocused. The stress from the bad thought for not praying is usually not too bad, and if they get to pray to just one or two of them once in a while they seem to not fall below "Overall, <name> is unfocused by unmet needs" so they're not too heavily penalized.
As for temple... I usually designate a handful of meeting areas assigned as a single "No particular deity" temple complex, so there's always a nearby temple wherever my dwarf happens to be when they realize they don't have any real work to be doing. Temples to specific deities don't seem to be particularly worthwhile unless it is in response to a petition from that temple's followers (Or you just want to make them -- it can definitely be fun, sometimes Fun, and occasionally !!FUN!! to build thematically-appropriate temples for each of your fort's deities.)

Making unspecific temples seemed to help some!

Sadly, some little guys and gals still seem to not want to pray.

I didn't really have this problem is my first few forts.

And you can tell they work down a list. Some will have good thoughts about praying to a deity, then farther down the list they'll have a negative thought about not praying to the same deity.

It makes very little IRL sense.

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 08:26:16 am »

those negative thoughts linger a bit after being acquired because dorfs remember or dwell upon those thoughts which makes them more miserable

it's another slight bug of the stress system which basically creates tantrum spiral beginning from a single dorf on the verge of depression remembering that time when he saw a corpse driving him psycho
http://dwarffortressitalia.tumblr.com/

Italian blog about Dwarf Fortress

Il primo blog italiano su Dwarf Fortress