Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15

Author Topic: Spookyfort: Inheritance  (Read 25166 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Crystallake: A Halloween Spookyfort! Overseers welcome!
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2020, 09:55:13 pm »

I'll get started tomorrow, or maybe tonight! Looks like I'll be dusting off the ol' aquifer piercing technique, which I haven't really used as of late. Honestly, lakeside embarks are some of my favorite so I'm pretty excite~

edit: lol its year 666, nice touch

Thanks - I also made sure there were 13 civilizations... Unfortunately, year 666 means almost all the mega and semimega beasts have died. All the more reason to play these mods yourself.

I've done nothing with the water - a fishing industry would be great. Now I'm off to play Smallhands and Numbercurse. Three succession forts at a time is pretty hectic.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2020, 11:10:53 pm »

I would definitely take a go at this too.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2020, 12:49:47 am »

A Short Introduction to Sodel, Miner, Mason and Alcoholic Extraordinaire:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Granite 3rd, 667

We decided to pierce the aquifer before spring hit. The freezing temperatures would make things easier. Me and Dodok got the worst of the task, however - actually DIGGING the pit. I guess that's my job description, being a miner and all, but still. I'm not having fun out there, I'm just earning my beer.

Our broker decided the other day he could raise the dead. Or, rather he let us know he could, I have yet to see it work on anything. He'll sneak up on you in the chow hall, and wriggle his fingers at whatever fish of hunk meat you're eating, and nothing happens. Its makes me cringe, who does this guy think he is?

Granite 27th, 667

It's been oddly warm out lately, even though proper Spring is still a few weeks away.  Also, we saw some weird birds fluttering around the outskirts of the fort.

They looked sort of pixelated and hazy, almost like they weren't real? Anyways we were scouting them out, minding our own business when the necro-broker walked up a delivered this amazing line:

https://youtu.be/bqg_up98M8Q?t=418

"Couldn't agree more, buddy, couldn't agree more."

Granite 29th, 667

The ice trick is working perfectly. We'll be through this aquifer in no time! But, this heat. . . I'm concerned.

Slate 2nd, 667

One day, I  woke up and smelled burnt turkey. I thought Cilob finally caved and cooked his 'pet' turkey, but do you remember those weird birds I talked about last week? Well, it turns out one of them collided with a tree and exploded. No one was hurt, but the forest caught on fire for a bit before the snow put it out.

Slate 15th, 667

Disaster. It's been so warm lately, I guess it hit that magic temperature, and all the ice melted. Two of our dwarves were swept into the muddy pit and drowned before we could do anything.

Luckily, I was already finished digging and was busy at the tavern when this occurred, but the thought of how close it was sent shivers down my spine.

Ever luckier, the water failed to swamp the walls, leaving our staircase and our path to deep dry. Those two died not in vain.

It was certainly a stupid project, but again, management here is not the brightest.

Slate 16th, 667

The cavern! It's about time, I missed that foul air. Nothing too special about this one, other than the fact we got lucky and won't have to move the staircase to make it past the lake:

Slate 25th, 667

Some more fools took the benefit package and relocated here. Quite a few of' em were, you guessed it, fucking useless.

That same day we hit the second cavern layer, and honest to god it was the most beautiful place I've ever stepped foot in. A natural marble cavern dotted with blue garnet and shining silver ore. If anyone had some sense in this place, we would make our homes down here, and live amongnst this temple of the gods!

2nd Felsite, 667

A strange fungus has begun to grow everywhere, especially in the skull tavern.

Why is our tavern a skull? I dig it. But why?

I think it started after we opened up the caverns. It's soft and spongy, and I wouldn't mind it if it didn't seem to wriggle every now and then. Our necro-broker has been seen scraping it up off the ground and scampering off to god-knows-where. I think he's eating it, to be honest.

We've decided to grow some underground crops for a change, and I'm quite happy about that - more kinds of plants means more kinds of booze. We were discussing the blueprints today and, at one point, they took on a very familiar shape. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but I could swear I had seen it someplace before.

I suppose that also means we're moving some of the workforce downstairs, so I drafted up a few rooms for them. Very nice rooms, I might add - marble crisscrossed with silver vein was some of the best real estate back at the mountainhome, and here we have it in bulk!

3rd Hematite, 667

Some guy made some shit who cares:

7th Hematite, 667

Small beginnings on the new workshop, centralized to the stone and ore:

12th Malachite, 667

The days are blending together. So much has been accomplished, but there is so much more to do. I've even cut back on my drinking - I just haven't had the time!

21st Malachite, 667

I can hear screaming from the waterway. I don't know who it is, but also hear something like thunder striking, or perhaps a whip cracking. Some puny troglodyte, no doubt. I have half a mind to just wall the place up and be done with it, but no, people would question my ethics.

I quickly order a hag-tag squad to run down and punch the beast to death. They grumble and moan, but sure enough they run on down the hallway. Seconds later I hear more of those thunderbolts, and then a whole lotta screaming. And then more screaming. I smell burning hair. .  perhaps it wasn't just some troglodyte after all.

A few minutes later, someone stumbles out of the hallway and collapses, blood flowing from the gaping wound where his arm used to be. Zuntir won't be engraving floors anytime soon, that's for sure!

Apparently, it was some kind of horrific demon with blades for arms that spouted deadly lighning bolts. It took them by surprise, and they only managed to strangle it after two dwarves died. What was left of them lay strewn about the hallway. There was so much blood. So much blood.

All this reminded me we hadn't built any memorials for those drowned builders, you know, the ones who died in spring. Huh. Not my job.

Well, work must go on, and these fields needed mud. Turn on the pumps, and maybe the blood can help fertilize the crops.

22nd Malachite, 667

Our first trick-or-treater of the year:

And look! I've left the front door wide open!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 01:02:46 am by Salmeuk »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2020, 01:30:21 am »

You have any idea how expensive a whiplash is?! Who the hell sent that? Somebody get me an intern to fire!

Love it Salmeuk! Great pumpkin!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2020, 01:00:55 pm »

This fort is already off to a great start, can't wait to see how it turns out everyone dies.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2020, 02:48:05 pm »

I love the mental image of the "giant keas" really just being dudes in suits, presumably with wires reaching up to the cardboard ceiling.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2020, 05:59:22 am »

This fort is already off to a great start, can't wait to see how it turns out everyone dies.

It might be sooner than you think!

I love the mental image of the "giant keas" really just being dudes in suits, presumably with wires reaching up to the cardboard ceiling.

I love that Salmeuk wrote that the dwarves clearly see through the disguise. Really re-contextualizes the whole thing. Thanks for coming ZM5, I see your demon already blew off some dwarf arms.

Forgot to post about it, Eric blank but I added you to the list. Glad to have you on board.

Luckily, I was already finished digging and was busy at the tavern when this occurred, but the thought of how close it was sent shivers down my spine.

Almost missed this.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2020, 11:01:45 am »

Loving this so far, count me in for a turn.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2020, 05:16:46 pm »

Gonna finish up tonight, I predict. Starting last half of the year now. I think my character is too much of a drunk to really know the difference between a giant bird and some dude in a costume of a giant bird, and that's OK. The ambiguous pseudo-corporate reality that is Crystallake, LLC will continue forth, a dream for some, a dead-end job for others, and for those that die along the way, a final resting place.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 05:19:47 pm by Salmeuk »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2020, 05:28:44 pm »

Loving this so far, count me in for a turn.

Great!

Gonna finish up tonight, I predict. Starting last half of the year now.

Even better!

I keep getting ideas for this fort and am looking forward to my turn. As long as the fort is still alive, that is.
Also - why haven't we made bone armor for our military yet?!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 05:48:36 pm by delphonso »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2020, 10:59:00 pm »

29th Galena, 667:

The orders came to flood the farm, no matter what.

"Flaming crocodile be damned, this room is gonna get muddy, or we're all going to starve!"

"Uhh, can't we can just farm on the surface? Like we've been doing for a year and a half?"

"I need MUD and I need it NOW!'

"O-okay. ." I'm not getting paid enough for this shit.

We sent two of the newer dwarves to start the pumps. Sure they had to climb over two dead dwarves, and one dying one, but they made it in one piece so what do you care? They began working furiously to turn the waterscrews, and soon enough the water flooded the stoneway, flushing out the hapless Tholtig, who was busy being paralyzed from the waist down. In fact, he had been about to gasp his last gasp, when the cold water hit and sort of shocked him back into life. Dwarven medecine at it's finest!

Like some macabre toilet bowl, various body parts and other miscellanous bits were flushed into the farm chamber, leaving bloody streaks where they collided with the walls. Nice.

With that problem solved, the two dwarves we sent to the pumps decided it was a great time to deconstruct those pumps. The resulting backflow of water cascaded down the hallway and forced them into the freezing cavern lake.

They managed (to my great surprise) to swim across the lake and make it on shore, where they were greeted by the still-warm ashen remnants of the cavern's undergrowth. That croocdile was somewhere out there, hunting for them . . .

No one bothered to rescue them, if only for the simple reason no one remembered who they were. New guy problems, am I right??

Right on queue, the dead began to rot in the farm chamber, choking poor Tholtig half to death, which is actually about a quarter-to-death, as Tholtig was already half-dead.

Also, that same day, I heard the best news all week - Dodok was back from the dead! Well, sort of. .  he was pretty pale, and liked to hang out halfway through the wall like some weirdo, but it was definitely him. A little bloated, for sure, but he had the same jokes and same weird way of staring right through you. Love that guy, glad to see him back in action!

That brings my Ghost Score up to 1, by the way.

2nd Limestone, 667

Dodok (a different one than the ghost) and Godel, the two cavern swim superstars, have managed to survive 3 days without seeing the crocodile. Godel actually had an axe with him, so they built a little still and have managed to get by eating raw tubers dug from the cavern muck. That is, until they ran into this fellow:

Dodok lasted about ten seconds before the ooze severed his lower spine. Goden used that moment to strike the ooze and kill it with the axe. Goden, in complete denial about what just happened, started to monologue about random bullshit while sitting in a pool of warm blood. He's such a great actor!

17th Limestone, 667:

The bedrooms are coming along nicely:

Also, the dwarven traders came. I gave them a great deal on some old clothing we had lying around. When asked, "Why is it all stained red?," I just pointed at the sky - not a bad excuse to have!

In return, I bought some more spider silk, to make those cheesy decorations the public seems to enjoy so much. We fluff it up a bit and string it around, and people just hand us their wallets.

19th Limestone, 667:

Somehow, Godel recovered from his broken ankle and is up and about. He's still at the 'scavenge mud for tasty roots' stage of survival, but next on his list is a carpenters workshop. Maybe he can even make a little hut for himself. Without a pick, though, he's never making it back inside the fortress. Unless someone remembers he's out here, perhaps?

While he was out harvesting, he even saw a rare phenomenom only know to a select few dwarves: the mass migration of the Cave Pygmy. While passing through our lands, they chose to strip Dodok's rotting corpse naked and make off with his socks, shirt, pants, tie, you name it.

5th Sandstone, 667:

Today we were attacked by a melon head.

It died to the cavern guards before we could study it much. Strange creature indeed.

13th Sandstone, 667:

Apparently, Tholtig died like a week ago but no one noticed. It was literally EVERYONE'S shared responsibility to check up on our wounded once a day, but NO ONE bothered. And look, he's totally fucking dead!

. . .

Who, me?! Look, I was busy and the manager was breathing down my neck all day, I didn't have a chance to check on him! Plus, he was a goner anyways. That's what the 'necromancer' said, not that I trust that guy's opinion or whatever, but you know, he's like a literal necromancer. He probably knows what a dead-guy-walking looks like, right?

15th Sandstone, 667:

On Today's episode of 'Godel Survives Alone in the Cavern', Godel dies. Horribly. To some demon called a trite:

Damn! I was really hoping for a Season 2. He had just finished his carpenters workshop, too:

Poor guy, but alas, everyone learned an important lesson that day: one should never demonstrate the inherent limitations of every formal axiomatic system capable of modelling basic arithmetic.

21st Sandstone, 667:

We built a series of 'death rooms' to, well, store all the dead things.

Honestly its a little fucked up but management says coffins are too expensive. Just hold your breath and you'll be fine.

11th Timber, 667:

It started snowing again, and then the pond froze over:

Meanwhile, the workshops have expanded somewhat, and the new living quarters are just about finished.

Many of the dwarves still like to visit the surface, just to go and pray in that tiny hut by the lakeshore. I've constructed a grand temple, larger than has ever been seen before, to entice them down below, where the proper dwarf lives. I dedicated the temple to my god, Kal Avanasdug. Kal is a proper dwarven god, who likes to sing, dance, get drunk, and be happy. The statues are being constructed as we speak!

24th Timber, 667:

Disaster! For real this time! Two beastly zombified bulls charged out of the forest today, killing four before we really knew what was happening.

One of those four was me. My last thought before death was nothing profound, really. .  I was thinking about what a 50-50 mixture of Dwarven Wine and Peach Rum would taste like. Kind of creamy, with a sugary aftertaste, I bet? Anyways, I wasn't gone for long - some strange netherforce pulled my soul back into my body before I could really comprehend I was dead!

My muscles worked the same, in fact I felt stronger than ever. I think my skin was a little pale, and I had gained a mysterious new title, "Sallow Hunter," but I was practically as good as new!

And then the bull just sort of struck me down again. I checked "get gored to death by a bull twice in a row" off my bucket list, and slowly passed into the void. This gave me time to finish my previous thought,  the one about about the cocktail, and I decided I should try this strange mixture once I got to wherever I was going, oh, I think I see a bright light in the distance, is that what I think it is? IT IS! I KNEW IT WOULD BE LIKE THIS! IT'S AMAZI-

==================================================================================

Thus ends the journal of Sodel. Crystallakes appears to be at the brink of destruction - can the next in line save this god-forsaken fortress?

OOC:

Please for the love of god, close the front gate before those bulls kill everyone! Those things are freakin OP!

That should seal the fortress, though I never bothered to actually test if I left any holes.

Final ghost score was only 1, and truthfully I was hoping for more. . if you want you can bury the bodies now.

Save is here, have fun with all the new creatures. Assume everything is broken.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 11:02:34 pm by Salmeuk »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2020, 03:39:46 am »

Awesome year, Salmeuk - whoever is directing this movie really lost the plot. I mean - demons, ghosts, AND zombies? Come on...

I cracked open this save and was immediately faced with Irlal climbing a wall for dear life and six dwarves immediately found dead. Hooooo boy - good luck, Eric Blank!

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2020, 08:14:58 am »

I'd definitely be in favor of sealing up the caverns too, atleast until you guys have a decent military (or in this case, probably more like security staff incase the actors get way too much into character) going. Also welp, I'm definitely nerfing the Zombulls then.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2020, 02:02:41 pm »

I'd definitely be in favor of sealing up the caverns too, atleast until you guys have a decent military (or in this case, probably more like security staff incase the actors get way too much into character) going. Also welp, I'm definitely nerfing the Zombulls then.

The caverns are sealed to my knowledge, at least, that croc never properly invaded us so I think I plugged the gap. And before you nerf 'em, be aware that NONE of my dwarves had weapons, armor, or military training. Honestly I was just hoping for the best haha, and uh instead I got two raging zombie bulls.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2020, 02:44:25 pm »

With all the dead dwarves going around this place is really living up to its name.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15