Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: Spookyfort: Inheritance  (Read 25170 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Spookyfort: Inheritance
« on: October 01, 2020, 08:23:04 am »

(Spookyfort 3 and 4 are in a new thread here.)

Halloween 2021 - Spookyfort Presents:

Turns out killing off dwarves isn't fun and also keeps the population low enough that you don't even see the cool stuff from the mods you included. Who could have possibly predicted this?
What can I say? The sequels to horror movies are always bad.

Instead, let's take adventures in this outrageously dangerous and werewolf-infested world.

Han Gurgleblew , Dentist and all-around Good Guy - delphonso
Row Knifejoys, Needleface and Friend to Skeletons - ZM5
Take a turn! Become one of the Dog Soldiers (2002)

Very Spooky Mod Pack:

Splint's Vanilla Expanded - by Splint
: The meat and potatoes of this year's modpack - small but wide-spread changes to gear, clothing, animals, plants and everything.

Subterrranean Extras - by Eric Blank
: Eric provided a nice pack of critters and plants for the caverns - be sure to check out Spellcrafts as well!

Ancient Guns - by Sponge
: The namely "Boomstick". Considering the creatures in this pack, guns may be necessary for basic survival.

Primal - by Enemy post
: Several of the animals and waterlife have been added from Primal (though not all) - mostly because I want to see dwarves shooting dinosaurs.

Zombies Ate My Dwarves - by ZM5
: Honestly how could I not use a pack that is specifically Halloween themed. This year the invaders should be more varied than last year.

Beldam/Other Mother - by Seraphim
: Although unlikely to visit the fortress, the other mother exists in the world, and has gotten up to some deeds. A cool little addition!

These mods are contained in the save folder - it is not necessary to download them, but I suggest you do and give them a play on your own if you enjoyed them in the modpack.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 08:20:27 am by delphonso »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Halloween Spooky Fortress!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 08:24:20 am »

((some posts moved and edited for convenience and thread layout))
What is Spookyfort?
Spookyfort is my attempt at an annual Halloween themed succession game spanning only the month of October. The forts are modded to ensure maximum spook and each fort has a different theme.

Halloween 2020: Crystallake
This is a link, I use the yellow and orange color too much.
Camp Crystallake was a preposterously violent and deadly fortress Summer Camp. Read along as delphonso avoids legal responsibility for about a hundred deaths and contract violation. The theme of this fort was somewhere between The Cabin in the Woods and Friday the 13th. Overseers were tasked with spooking but not killing a group of dwarves. We unfortunately both spooked and killed most of them.

Crystallake was the first attempt at a Spookyfort. In my memory, it is one of the most fun succession games I've ever participated in.

Halloween 2021: Boomstick
Above-ground fort trying to spook delphonso as much as possible!

« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 11:27:39 pm by delphonso »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 09:58:27 am »

PTW
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 04:38:24 pm »

Am posting to watch, may make a spooky spellcrafts update tonight/tomorrow since delphonso asked about including it. Dwarves can be made necromancers, vampires etc through the dementia magic school right now
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 06:51:23 pm »

Halloween 2020: Crystallake
((some posts moved and edited for convenience and thread layout))

An old wooden sign is illuminated by a flashing lightning bolt - a wolf howls in the distance.

Welcome one and all to delphonso's Haunted House of Horror!

If you're reading this sign, you've been selected as one of the lucky dwarves to join the immersive Halloween experience titled "Spookyfort!"
Over the next 30 days you'll experience Frights! Fears! Trembling Sensations!
Of course, after 30 days, you'll be returned to your respective mountainhomes. That is...if you survive!

The laughing of an overseer drifts through the air as 7 dwarves look worriedly at each other around a wagon.

Happy Halloween!

I know it's only the first of October, but HEY WE DON'T HAVE HALLOWEEN IN MY COUNTRY AND I WANT TO EXPERIENCE IT SOMEHOW.

Guidelines:

- The goal of this fortress is to terrify the dwarves! Make them spooked, make them scared, but try to keep them alive.
- The fort will end on Halloween, one way or the other. Either all of them will die, or they'll retire peacefully to therapy.
- Turns should be fast, don't worry about playing for a full year or whatever, just play as much as you can and pass on the save.
- Try to finish in a couple days. If someone thinks they have time to play before you think you'll be ready, pass on that turn.
- Crystallake is right on the edge of an ocean, the aquifers in it are a mix of light and heavy and that can take you by surprise. Be careful. (see my first update...)
- This is a modded save file - you don't need to download the mods, but if you like them, you should. It should work fine without any issues - if you do run into issues (crashes, tons of lag) post about it. Also, warning, some of the animals will be...megabeast strength.
- If you want dorfing or a turn, feel free to jump in.

Current (Very Spooky) Modlist:
Spellcrafts Mod - by Eric Blank
: This is the real meat and potatoes of the mod, as it has the most effects on the fortress gameplay.

Monsters of Majesty - by Untrustedlife
: This adds a few "classic" monsters to the world. Although technically for 47.01, I haven't seen anything that would conflict with 47.04.

Burn Corpses and Vermin at Smelter - by broms
: Just some added flair with cremation. I couldn't find a thread for it, so this is a DFFD link.

Zombies Ate My Dwarves and What Lurks Below - by ZM5
: The world needed a bit more danger, ZAMD adds that to the surface and WLB adds that to the caverns. ZAMD adds several invader civilizations of which I selected skeletons, pirates, doctors, and zombies as the most popular Halloween costumes.

Assorted Creatures Pack - by Enemy post
: Making the water and air a bit more treacherous with movie references, I grabbed a few monsters from this pack.

========

Updates:
Part 1: Basebuilding isn't spooky - delphonso
Part 2: A dwarf draws a skeleton in this Halloween-themed fort - delphonso
Part 3: The first trick-or-treater! - Salmeuk
Part 4: 2 spooky 4 me - Salmeuk
Part 5: New Business - delphonso
Part 6: Toil, Trouble, Boil and Bubble! - delphonso
Part 7: Ender's Game - nogoodnames
Part 8: Face Your Fears™ - nogoodnames
Part 9: Very Superstitious - nogoodnames
Part 10: Spreading Infection - Eric Blank
Part 11: Thob Rises to the Surface - Salmeuk
Part 12: I want that magic cheese - Salmeuk
Part 13: To whom it may concern - Splint
Part 14: Not paid enough to die - Splint
Part 15: The Security Team - Splint
Part 16: Morale is something of an issue - Splint
Part 17: Project Crystallake - Quantum Drop
Part 18: God Help Us - Quantum Drop
Part 19: Final Destination

========

Turn Order:

1. delphonso
2. Salmeuk
3. delphonso
4. nogoodnames
5. Eric Blank
6. Salmeuk
7. Splint
8. Quantum Drop
9. delphonso
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 10:15:30 pm by delphonso »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 08:52:48 pm »

Cool! I'm down to either be dwarfed or take a turn (I'm confused if this is just a community game, or a proper succession game!) If it's the latter, considering the end date of Halloween proper, the time limit on turns should be at most 3-4 days for a good amount of succession to occur. Just a thought.

A whole race of 'Doctors' huh? Oddly horrifying. I wonder if they still sue for malpractice in such a place.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2020, 09:33:18 pm »

The piece of my assorted creatures pack that adds killer great white sharks to all water seems appropriate for the theme.

To all water, you say...
(I'll add this in, awesome stuff, Enemy post!)

Cool! I'm down to either be dwarfed or take a turn (I'm confused if this is just a community game, or a proper succession game!) If it's the latter, considering the end date of Halloween proper, the time limit on turns should be at most 3-4 days for a good amount of succession to occur. Just a thought.

Sorry for the lack of clarity - I stole your idea and put it in the OP. Glad to have you, Sal. I'll probably post later tonight.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 09:59:36 am by delphonso »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2020, 12:39:40 am »

Well I tested it out and things seem to be...a horror movie.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crystallake: A Halloween Spookyfort! Overseers welcome!
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2020, 09:05:25 am »

Scary Spooky Base Building Sends Shivers Down My Spine

Prad'omaroo, weird name for a world, but hey, everything needs a name, right? Mine's delphonso - I run a...well, it's an interesting business. We specialize in Horror, Halloween, Spooks and Scares. That company's name is Spookyfort. We specialize in scaring dwarves - real scares. It's sort of an immersive horror experience. Basically, under consent from a friend/spouse/ruler/stranger, we abduct a few dwarves and send them off to "found a fortress".

Then we hurl every manner of dwarven fear at them - Bronze Colossi, if you can afford it, but more often irate bears and grumpy boars. We also have a huge staff of actors who dress up as things such as Skeletons, Doctors, Elves, Giant Keas, all the things dwarves love to hate.

Anyway, let's look at our most recent project - the seven should have just arrived now: Welcome to Crystallake!

The seven dwarves were given a few goods to get their camp set up. I also gave them a few odd creatures from the caverns, hoping to put them on edge right from the start.

Haha! Can you believe that stuff? I don't even know what a fungal crow IS!
Here's the happy campers - they're not a bright bunch, and I think I'm going to enjoy terrifying them.

Take a look at this lady, for example.

Now with a fear like that - I just have to fill her bedroom with statues of crawling skulls when she's asleep. Heck, I might even drop one in there one night! Can you imagine the screams she'd give off, oh boy! Now I just gotta figure out what a crawling skull is.
-=-=-=-
Quote from: Crystallake Camp Comments Card
Hey, Catten here. Excited to be at the camp, but am curious - how did I get here?
Also, I checked the box marked "food" and it was filled with hearts. I have a bit of medical training, and well...some of them were still beating. Are these even edible?
What the hell is a squonk anyway?

-=-=-=-

Oh, the tavern - essential for any dwarven location. The dwarves of Crystallake dug it out post haste, but I included instructions on how it should be built. I think they're going to love it.

They built their first cabin, which I'm proud of them for doing. They're going to need somewhere to stay because let me tell you - this place gets bonkers at nighttime. The rain's pretty constant too - you guys like that? Oh boy, you wouldn't imagine the costs it takes to set THAT up.

Oh wait! You gotta watch this!

See those birds? They're actually staff members in disguises. They're going to make off with any comforts the dwarves currently have. They're on a schedule, perfect for being unpredictable.

Yes! That's one in the books for me!

...God damn I need to hire better staff...

Well, this is an interesting turn. Wish I could say that was one of mine - but it's not. Hell, that guy isn't even an attacker!

This sort of...well it throws a wrench in the works. Can't end up too bad for me, either way. Besides, it's not like anyone is dead or anything.

I gotta call my lawyer.

-=-=-=-=-

The uh... aquifer situation at Crystallake is worse than I thought. Mixed light and heavy aquifers make it real hard to predict what will be manageable and what will, well, kill Sigun.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 06:56:34 am by delphonso »

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2020, 11:44:26 am »

oh! this is lovely! I am quite I can't wait to see how it ends in October 31. Dorf me in as any old dorf. This should honestly be a yearly event. A great way to bring the community together for a good horror fun.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2020, 02:03:22 pm »

See those birds? They're actually staff members in disguises.

ahaha this explains their tendency to walk off with "company property."

Also, I was just eating a squonk heart! Good stuff once you pick out the worms.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2020, 09:08:13 pm »

Bodies Under Floorboards, Sketches of Skeletons

Okay, well it's not all that bad. Consent forms were signed which means legally, we're in the clear - we might have to settle with Sigun's family for pain/suffering or "criminal negligence" but it should be fine. Let's see how Camp Crystallake is doing with the loss of Sigun.

14 strong, got a kid in tow too. That necromancer...I feel like he should be working for me or something. I mean, his name is Lie Bad-Moral. Anyway, what have we got on the docket for today? The Giant Keas should be finishing up their work soon.

Christ. We gotta get better customer relations training... The only thing they made off with so far has been a pile of horse meat. Which, I mean - I guess is better than eating squonk hearts, but it's not the most pleasant thing in the world. You know, I think this whole Giant Kea thing was a wash - get them out of there.

A bunch of herring?
OH!
The outpost liaison, or should I call him, "the Health and Safety Inspector"? This guy is a constant thorn in my side! Apparently there are laws that keep us from just torturing these dwarves. A bunch of liberal nonsense if you ask me. Back in the day, we used to pour magma on the children and nobody blinked an eye! Probably wouldn't be good for him to see Sigun...

We'll just uh... Yeah.

Floor that over and there we go! Problem solved.
-=-=-=-
Quote from: Camp Crystallake Comment Card
Asmel here, glad to be at the camp, but I was wondering...
Could we get any sort of blankets or sleeping bags? I mean, it's snowing and our beds are just wooden planks.
Thanks in advance!
-=-=-=-

Well the Inspector's report is about as good as I could hope for. Apparently not giving the dwarves a temple is what he called infringing on their basic dwarven rights. I shuffle the order off to the camp residents. If they want to pray so bad, they can build a shrine themselves. I'm just glad no one squealed about Sigun.

In fact - why are these dwarves so damn happy? Their friend died, there's been giant birds fighting with them non-stop, and they've all been in the rain and snow for days. We better scare that cheer out of them. Get the undead on the line for me!

That aught to do it!
DAMMIT why'd they leave right away?

And who are these assholes? Christ, I need to get a smoke. I'll be back in a few.

Eral gets it! I'm glad someone does!
Spoiler: Artifact (click to show/hide)

Well it's almost the end of winter and my blood pressure is through the roof. I'm gonna cut out of work early. You can take over things for me, right? Shouldn't be too hard - especially with all the stuff we've been putting in the caverns...boy, you wouldn't believe it.

Spoiler: Camp Crystallake (click to show/hide)

-=-=-=-=-
OOC:
oh! this is lovely! I am quite I can't wait to see how it ends in October 31. Dorf me in as any old dorf. This should honestly be a yearly event. A great way to bring the community together for a good horror fun.
Thanks, I thought it'd be a fun idea. We'll see how many people get involved. I dorfed you as this guy because he's generally pretty happy but also wants to work real bad. Also, these preferences...

There are different aquifers under Crystallake - it seems the ocean is home to a light aquifer, but bits of the woodland biome reach into it and leave bits of heavy aquifer scattered through out. You'll see several exploratory tunnels as I was trying to find a way down to the caverns. I eventually stopped and worked on a small furnace/smeltery area because we have tons of iron-ores.

Salmeuk, you up for some frights and spooks?
Save!
Save should just be drag and drop - no need to add any mod files.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2020, 09:24:28 pm »

I'll get started tomorrow, or maybe tonight! Looks like I'll be dusting off the ol' aquifer piercing technique, which I haven't really used as of late. Honestly, lakeside embarks are some of my favorite so I'm pretty excite~

edit: lol its year 666, nice touch
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 09:39:59 pm by Salmeuk »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15