Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Dwarven Dick turpin( I know he was 'Ent that cool in real life)  (Read 1826 times)

Hey I have a quick question ? I'm trying to do a hiwayman Sort od thing were I go and start my own highway robbery gang. Start as one dwarf. Recruit anybody I can. Raid travellers and occasionally heist buildings. Quick aside: Can I have two sperate saves on my dwarf fortress game?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 09:58:48 am by cauaule fantasy writing »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: The Dwarven Dick turpin( I know he was 'Ent that cool in real life)
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 10:26:00 am »

You won't Highwayman mechanics in the game, but learning about and then stealing artifacts is totally an option. Most companions are down with joining you for tons of stuff and aren't burdened by morality.

When you make a world - the generic name is save1 in data/save folders. I zip those right away in case I find any crazy bugs. You can play in the same world on two different timelines, but not really merge the saves back.

That said, retirement is the mechanic for switching characters, or between fortress and adventure mode. Find a safe place and retire your adventurer there, you can unretire them at any point, but they will act as regular DF historical figures in the meantime - sometimes getting themselves killed. It's pretty rare though.
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 11:32:15 am »

Thank you.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 06:37:31 pm »

Actually, you can rob people. Talk to them and demand they drop whatever item you want. If they refuse then you rough them up and try again. Or just kill them.

Quick aside: Can I have two sperate saves on my dwarf fortress game?
Sort of. You can have as many worlds as you have drive space for. And you can create backups of worlds just by copying the "region" folder. But you can only do one thing at a time in a world - like you can be running one fortress or one adventure party - and to do something else in that world you have to abandon/retire the current fortress/party.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 09:10:11 pm »

Hey I have a quick question ? I'm trying to do a hiwayman Sort od thing were I go and start my own highway robbery gang. Start as one dwarf. Recruit anybody I can. Raid travellers and occasionally heist buildings.

Away from civ sites, you can spy the fast travel world map for moving asterisks (at your own risk as some asterisks won't be civ units), fast travel to them, enter local/slow travel and do what Ziusudra suggested.

You could also hang close to civ sites, use the fast travel map to spy on asterisks, or just local travel around the peripheries and waylay them pilgrims, monks and other non-soldier units as they enter/leave these civ sites.
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 08:31:50 am »

(thanks for all the suggestions guys! I have started my quest and will give and uptadet log) My name is Eddie. I was a famer up in the north. I was gonna be a big adevturere. That was the dream at least..... I had been marching thourgh are snowy peaks trying to move through things fast... it was just me and my donkey.....Thens those Dame Emus attacked! Every one them rotten bastards to the core! They surroud me and my friend started trying to kill me. We ran for the hills. My donkey stayed behind and killed a few I went back to help and did. But in the confussion of running away and jumping over a river.... I lost them. So now I travel the open road, In glory, grog,steal,gold. I search for the biggest pile of money and jump away my with boots filled with honey! and travel round looking for rich goblins, elves, animals, Cause you can't get far in this world no you can't get far at all without forty pounds of silver and copper bolts in some ones liver. So don't cross me my freainds cause this inlands is not gerogharpichaly made for to of us.  So get tour ass out a town cause this time im gonna be leave sqaushed and turn to dust. Cause im gonna be the greatest outlaw of this land to avenge im Donkey freaind at hand. From one pole to another they know me very well cause they get me there and send you to hell!

Im The gre

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2020, 01:29:42 am »

Damn...

Killed mid-sentence.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2020, 06:25:06 am »

Damn...

Killed mid-sentence.

Risky business, the life of crime.