Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What Coronavirus really means for AI  (Read 1569 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Re: What Coronavirus really means for AI
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2021, 05:04:21 am »

It relates to Covid because it throws it into sharp relief. This won't be the last pandemic, and when the dust settles and that sinks in you have to consider this as well.

You need a AI which can create on-the-fly vaccines for whatever weird virus you can throw at it. And that AI has to be pretty intelligent; because depending on the virus it may have to build up a new knowledge base independent of the bulk of our research.

IMO you're brushing the singularity.

Ludditism doesn't work. Can't scrub the tech or the people. Even if you slow it down, we already have the tech to make this possible.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2021, 05:32:38 am »

Wouldn't the AI be as easy to use for evil/the eradication of humanity then? Or is that the point, that an AI-powered arms race of viruses must have AIs working on defensive measures as well? If we take the singularity into consideration, then why does the singulary-AI only take vaccines into consideration? I mentioned hazmat suits as a joke, a poorly done joke as I'm not 100% sure hazmat suits really are the way to avoid viruses, but the most fool-proof method of avoiding viruses will always be to avoid human contact. A singularity-(or close to singularity)AI could surely come up with methods of supplying each human with their own virus-proof suit, if it has the capabilities of providing them with a vaccine.
Unless you consider AI-made viruses being equipped with little drills or something, and purposefully homing in on humans, in which case I'm sure we're pretty f-ed either way.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2021, 06:21:34 am »

I don't know if a (limited) AI creating viruses is a meaningful threat for one creating vaccines, because so long as you can cut it off early, the problems containable.

If it is, we need singularity tech. Really regardless, if we're approaching that to create something capable enough, as a society we need to come to terms with that. That's why i created this thread, to explore what that means.
Reading a thinner book

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2021, 09:57:47 am »

Your AI would need to be prescient and possibly omnipotent, and at that point, the only thing stopping the AI from being It would need to be a virus, maybe? It'd probably be easier to just drop a nuke or peddle fentanyl if you didn't like a nation, anyways.

This is a bit lazy. We already have CRISPR: the tech is undeniably getting more and more accessible.

Of course it's lazy- why work harder for some maladapted theory of future warfare and viral bioweapons when literally anything is easier? With a little luck, we're not likely to see bloodshed on a warfare scale among superpowers again, and with a little more hope, we'll see less usage of other nations as pawns in proxy wars. You can make a nation suffer with tariffs and cyberweapons without bloodshed or declaration of violence- we're seeing this already.

Seems you agree anyways, since prescient/omnipotent AI would effectively be 'singularity tech,' or that you're trying to steer an agreement towards it to appeal to your concerns. You're communicating in vagueness about how we need to come to terms with how sharp relief is thrown about what we have to consider about the implications, because Covid/Pandemic/AI. Yes, pandemics are bad. Yes, Covid has helped us understand a lot about pandemics. No, AI is not going to magically fix our shortcomings in pandemics or outright stop the next bug. We don't even have the computational power to simulate folding proteins in a scalable way, that's literally crowdsourced to the public. No, quantum computation isn't going to spontaneously fix this, either.

Call me a luddite if you'd like, but it's my opinion you're jumping at shadows to steer conversation towards a specific conclusion of yours.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2021, 12:15:19 pm »

I have a better solution: Ludditism. Can't print the bubonic plague if we burn down the labs. Who's with me?

You wouldn't download a car ... don't download the bubonic plague!!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2021, 12:22:00 pm »

We totally would download a car, though. Thanks to 3d printers, if folks haven't already done it, it's only a matter of time before someone does. That day will be a good day, probably.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2021, 12:24:35 pm »

This may help.

This is what inspired this whole line of thought. The problem is it's not state actors we need to worry about. It's getting to the point where anyone with some knowledge in the field can crank it out.

Yes, current AI can't fix this. That's why i'm saying we have to have next-level AI.
Reading a thinner book

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2021, 01:09:22 pm »

Sam Harris, that's the guy who argues in favor of preemptive nuclear strikes.

alternative response: oh  :(

let

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2021, 01:57:15 pm »

Weirder still, he argues about the impending threat about AI, if the wikipedia article is anything to go by. Some about-face, huh?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2021, 02:02:10 pm »

You can't even have Coronavirus without AI.

"Coronvrus"...  See!

(Hmm... "Von Cursor" "US Corn or V!" "Run ov Orcs" "Scour on RV" "Novo-currs" "Vous R cron" "Rusr NovoC'" I think that makes it pretty obvious.)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2021, 02:06:24 pm »

We may download plans for a car, but if we have transporter technology and can actually download the two tons of complex raw materials, then we don't need cars in the first place.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2021, 02:03:11 am »

Weirder still, he argues about the impending threat about AI, if the wikipedia article is anything to go by. Some about-face, huh?

This AI take is all me.
Reading a thinner book

Pages: 1 [2]