Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to Equip Intelligent Undead Companions?  (Read 1906 times)

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
How to Equip Intelligent Undead Companions?
« on: October 04, 2020, 01:08:26 pm »

After recruiting a Human Pikeman, he got himself killed (suffocation) against a Night Troll. I've rezzed him as an Intelligent Undead, and he's showing as a companion, but I can't find any way to equip him with the gear he dropped on death. Any attempt to talk with him and make him barter/trade equipment just loops back around so that my character's the only one talking.

Any idea to how to make him equip his old gear? Or am I doomed to have him get pasted when he goes into a fight against armed enemies?
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: How to Equip Intelligent Undead Companions?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 06:42:44 pm »

Are you able to [Tab] to control him? Or is that only created adventurers in your party?

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 03:00:47 am »

Are you able to [Tab] to control him? Or is that only created adventurers in your party?

I think it may just be created adventurers. My original companion (from character creation) bit it and got rezzed in the same way, but I can control her by [Tab]. The Pikeman doesn't show in the 'become another companion' menu after I pressed [Tab].
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 05:45:25 pm »

It sounds like they're no longer able to speak somehow. Do you have a mod that might allow you to grant them speech again?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 06:09:07 pm »

It sounds like they're no longer able to speak somehow. Do you have a mod that might allow you to grant them speech again?

We figured out on how to resurrect an intelligent undead in Fortress mode in Smallhands. This would give them the ability to speak again.

If it means a lot to you, you may retire them for a time and try this out.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 07:38:20 pm »

Intelligent undead have the [NOTHOUGHT] tag which allows them to ignore brain damage, but with the side effect that they can't speak. If you remove the tag (e.g. through a modded interaction) they'll be able to speak again.

The [NO_THOUGHT_CENTER_FOR_MOVEMENT] tag does the same thing as [NOTHOUGHT] but without the no speech side effect so they won't drop dead from brain damage. It might make them very fragile, though.

I've had crashes when trying to talk to really old skeletons I raised, but anyone who died after the end of world gen should be fine.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 07:59:08 pm by nogoodnames »
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 08:17:59 pm »

The thing is, intelligent undead are perfectly capable of speaking if you take direct control of them in arena/adventure mode. Intelligent undead in towers will also occasionally demand* that you 'identify yourself!' but not respond to you doing so, so [NOTHOUGHT] seems to just tweak behavior rather than outright disable a creature's ability to speak.

*Seems to be a semi-scripted thing forcing NPCs assigned to guard duty to talk to potentially hostile intruders.