Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Dwarf fortress Lgbtqia+.  (Read 7358 times)

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf fortress Lgbtqia+.
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2020, 11:20:41 am »

I asked your government, they allowed you  not to read it or post in it for the next ten years.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2020, 10:56:55 pm »

This thread is just going to go on forever, will it?
Any reason why it shouldn't?

Toady's already remarked on gender roles, historical trends in discrimination and how much he wants to reflect that in the game, pronouns and of course already added gay dwarves years before anyone thought it was a necessity. Why should fans not be allowed to talk about this?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 10:58:52 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2020, 11:17:54 pm »

Toady's already remarked on gender roles, historical trends in discrimination and how much he wants to reflect that in the game, pronouns and of course already added gay dwarves years before anyone thought it was a necessity. Why should fans not be allowed to talk about this?
If anything, that seems like a reason why they *shouldn't*. What's the point of talking about it at the point when everything has been covered?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2020, 01:08:49 am »

If anything, that seems like a reason why they *shouldn't*. What's the point of talking about it at the point when everything has been covered?
Best shut down the Suggestions forum then, Toady already has plans for the next 30 years and doesn't need any input at all. Oh, wait, that isn't true...

--
In case anyone goes looking for this info, Toady's never made any definitive statements about anything in the game, including this topic. He has commented on it. Fans should too if they want to, else what's the point in the forum at all?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 01:11:29 am by Shonai_Dweller »
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2020, 01:39:31 am »

Well I personal feel like we should have the thread open just as space for Lgbtqia+ discussion when it comes to Df. It always good to have Queer spaces in any Community. Furthermore having discussion's about how queer Identity being represent in any media platform is extremely important and one of the great things about the forum is it's a platform for us to disscus these issues and allow queer mebers of the community to talk about these issues. (but it also dose't have to be issues as well it could be funny stories of Lgbtqia dwarfs or  anything relate to LGBTQIA+ DF). We may have resolved this issue but that doesn't mean that all issue are resolved.
i n short: Having a chat talking about LGBTQIA+ stuff is important in any community and having a thread open for it will only do good.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2020, 03:30:59 am »

Well I personal feel like we should have the thread open just as space for Lgbtqia+ discussion when it comes to Df. It always good to have Queer spaces in any Community.

Well said, this is a good point.
As it stands in the game, DF is in a pretty good place - gender is basically irrelevant, as most of us don't know if our favorite dwarf is male or female anyway because it doesn't matter. Homosexual relationships happen and are normal by dwarven standards. Marriage is blocked, but as I understand it, marriage is connected to childbirth, so not a big deal there, but could be changed, potentially. Asexual dwarves live happy lives among the rest.

Urist McUristUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2020, 04:39:00 am »

I have an idea for implementation of dwarf transgenderism that might be stupid. Applies to the current situation where beards are specific to males.

MTF dwarves need to have no beard to be happy and automatically shave.
FTM dwarves need a beard to be happy and will wear proesthetic beards, which have to be made out of wool thread by a clothier.

Fikilili

• Bay Watcher
  • "Elves make no sense, change my mind."
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2020, 04:41:30 am »

I almost made a suggestion that could've justified a ban.
"Military? What's that? Something to eat?"

Urist McUristUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2020, 04:43:39 am »

Then why are you posting about it?

Fikilili

• Bay Watcher
  • "Elves make no sense, change my mind."
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2020, 04:50:18 am »

Then why are you posting about it?
Im scared and I need my mommy
"Military? What's that? Something to eat?"

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2020, 07:57:28 am »

We all do.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2020, 09:20:06 am »

Okay so a bit of correction :

Homosexual marriage is not blocked. Hell, a couple can be homosexually married because they don't want children while being in a heterosexual affair. It is exeedingly rare but it happens in game. Marriage is the only way to have children currently, but as far as I know it is temporary and out of wedlock kids are part of the plans.

As for homosexuality in the middle ages
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As for "church approved marriage" : it doesn't exist in the middle age. Marriage is a contract between two noble families and has abslutely no need to be sanctified. Adding a priest to a wedding ceremony is a modern fancy. The word of god, you see, was never really an absolute thing nor something that really enters into consideration when taking actual decisions that affect reality - and was certainly not an open door for clergymen to put their nose in a political contract between noblemen.

As for robes, they were male garments for most civilizations until the development of equitation. They remained gender neutral until recently. Clergymen still wear robes to this day. Robes are easier to make, maintain and replace than pants - with the caveat that they cannot be used on horse - so it makes sense that lowtech civilizations that use horsecarts instead of riding them would use robes instead of pants as a gender neutral garment.

As for transdwarves... I just don't understand how they would fit. Like, DF's dwarves are free to love and marry whoever they want. I'd go as far as to say, within the context of a developped magic system, I would not be opposed to gender-swapping options, but without that context, with no genderlocked garments and no gender roles, transitionning look like a bit without object....Or am I wrong somewhere?

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2020, 11:38:43 am »

FTM dwarves need a beard to be happy and will wear proesthetic beards, which have to be made out of wool thread by a clothier.

Bring on the wig industry and fun words like perruquier! And less fun like getting a bunch of perruquiers in the migrant waves.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2020, 04:56:57 pm »

Out of wedlock kids was introduced in the Villains update.
(Although in player fortresses they're still adhering to the old ways. Presumably to be fixed once Villains is completed).

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2020, 11:50:24 pm »

Homosexual marriage is not blocked. Hell, a couple can be homosexually married because they don't want children while being in a heterosexual affair. It is exeedingly rare but it happens in game. Marriage is the only way to have children currently, but as far as I know it is temporary and out of wedlock kids are part of the plans.

out-of-wedlock children have been possible since 0.47.01 and the only reason any dwarf can get into a homosexual marriage is if they are, in fact, marry-attracted to the same sex.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5