Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is raincoat/umbrella in DF?  (Read 975 times)

gch

• Escaped Lunatic
  • @_@
    • View Profile
Is raincoat/umbrella in DF?
« on: October 06, 2020, 12:44:56 am »

My dwarf is unhappy while when caught rain. So , is there a raincoat, or umbrella in game?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is raincoat/umbrella in DF?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 03:22:14 am »

No. You can build a roof over the embark or keep them indoors, but that's it.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 04:05:13 am »

And one isn't needed in the game, because depression-suicide-cycle-caused-by-rain is not an intended feature of the stress system.

Although something to protect adventurers and mercenaries from deadly evil rain might be nice.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 05:13:33 am »

If it's your fisherdwarf near a river, it may be worthwhile to build some sort of roof over them, as it can avoid a lot of bad thoughts.

Otherwise, what better umbrella is there than the mountain? Dig deep and never see that vile enemy - the sky.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 06:32:07 am »

Humans have sought protection from the rain since time immemorial, and umbrellas/parasols specifically have been around for millenia. I see no reason our dwarves (and other DF critters) shouldn't be allowed that privilege, especially when the rain can boil your skin off. I suppose I am wandering off into Suggestion territory now though...

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2020, 06:52:45 am »

Existing hoods and cloaks, if given rain protection functions by Toady, would do the job.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2020, 08:18:04 am »

And one isn't needed in the game, because depression-suicide-cycle-caused-by-rain is not an intended feature of the stress system.

Although something to protect adventurers and mercenaries from deadly evil rain might be nice.
Well, currently it IS needed, even though it SHOULDN'T be needed...
And I would have wanted such protection against deadly evil rain in my latest fortress, although it probably wouldn't have helped, because it would end up in puddles spread around killing dorfs in between socks.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2020, 08:26:22 am »

And I would have wanted such protection against deadly evil rain in my latest fortress, although it probably wouldn't have helped, because it would end up in puddles spread around killing dorfs in between socks.
How does that make any sense? Toady, your rain is too powerful and messing up dwarves, add a new feature such as an umbrella rather than simply fixing it. Then when you fix it, we'll all have a pointless umbrella with no in-game use, to laugh about for years to come.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2020, 11:46:28 am »

How does that make any sense? Toady, your rain is too powerful and messing up dwarves, add a new feature such as an umbrella rather than simply fixing it. Then when you fix it, we'll all have a pointless umbrella with no in-game use, to laugh about for years to come.
If we assume the effects of ordinary rain is toned down, but not removed, then dorfs would still benefit from not getting soaked and (temporarily) grumpy. If protection protects against evil rain you'd get protection from increased levels of unpleasantness, although contaminants would still have to be dealt with.