Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A counter for rain  (Read 1045 times)

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A counter for rain
« on: October 06, 2020, 10:45:59 am »

The past months, I've noticed people talking about how dwarves get bad thoughts from being in the rain.

During this time I've come across something that seems to be a problem:  In biomes with little to no rainfall, dwarves don't get rained on and therefore don't get the benefit of the thoughts that accompany it.

Therefore, I present the following suggestion:

Dust storms and sand storms should be added to the game as a new type of weather.  The probability of these spawning should be inversely proportional to the amount of rainfall that a biome receives, and sand storms should require that the biome have exposed sand tiles on the surface.  In addition, dwarves should receive appropriate thoughts from being outside during one of these storms.

I truly believe that this suggestion would add balance to the game, and I look forward to what others think on this subject.

Thank you.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A counter for rain
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 09:28:47 pm »

Dwarves don't like the rain because they live underground where there is no weather. Dust storm would be just as annoying to them as rain probably.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 09:51:27 pm »

I fully agree with this suggestion, but I would also propose that dust storms should only be possible in areas with appropriate bare soil.

There should also be a possibility of tornados.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 05:09:45 pm »

Natural disasters are part of the map rewrite, I wouldn't be surprised if tornadoes and dust storms get added with the earthquakes and eruptions. Though it does seem dust storms would be possible with current weather.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2020, 02:34:50 pm »

Ah... a corollary for rain.  I read the title as in something that goes "That's one raindrop... That's two raindrops. Three raindrops! Mwahaha!!!

Carry on. Your versons sound almost as good as mine.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 06:00:45 pm »

Oh, and here I was thinking this was an umbrella suggestion. I'd love to be able to equip my dorfs with a few good umbrellas or oilskins...
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!