Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17

Author Topic: Risky Ventures: Classic  (Read 15466 times)

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Risky Ventures: Classic
« Reply #135 on: November 02, 2020, 01:44:22 pm »

Quote from: Feierbootvertrag
A maximum of five (5) signatories shall each contribute two (2) Florins toward the joint purchase of a ship, to be named the Feierboot. At any time, any parties, whether signatories or not, may contribute funds to the corporate account of Feierboot. Whenever Feierboot has accumulated sufficient funds to purchase a full load of trinkets at the Home market, it shall depart for a destination specified by vote in a process to be laid out later in this contract, where it shall exchange its entire load of trinkets for whatever product may be purchased at that destination and return. Upon the Feierboot's return, each signatory to this contract will be entitled to two (2) units of the purchased product, to be disposed of at pleasure. Feierboot will then resume waiting for funds to purchase another load of trinkets, or depart immediately if already able.

Upon the successful purchase of Feierboot under this contract, signatories shall immediately vote on its first destination, to be determined by a simple majority of votes. For this first vote, the choice shall be between Nearsouthlands and Aloysius Shores, and if neither option receives a simple majority of signatory votes due to abstentions or any other reason, whichever option receives the most votes will be chosen, or, if neither option receives more votes, the first destination shall be chosen randomly. At any time thereafter, any signatory may propose a vote to change the destination, whereupon another simple-majority vote shall immediately be held. For these later votes, any signatory may nominate a destination as a choice, and if no option receives a simple majority of votes for any reason, Feierboot's destination shall not be changed. Similarly, as long as no vote is held, Feierboot's destination shall not be changed. If such vote does result in a change of Feierboot's destination, that change will take effect upon its next return to Home port.

Signed,
-for A. Schicklgruber und Söhne, A. Schicklgruber, Proprietor.
-
-
-
-

This really isn't a good contract. There's no reason for non-signatories to contribute to the trinket account, they get nothing from it as the 2 units of product go only to the signatories. For that matter, since there's no provision for mandatory trinket funding, there is also no reason for signatories to contribute either, since they're getting 2 units from a successful voyage regardless of whether they contributed 2 Florins or absolutely nothing to the trinket fund. It's in the best interest of everyone to not contribute and free-ride off everyone else in a game of financial chicken until someone goes bankrupt.

One thing that I do like though is the option of not immediately selling but instead disbursing the products to signatories, possibly to be sold later if prices rise. Maybe this will finally let our warehouses see some use.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Risky Ventures: Turn 8 return of the Titenfische
« Reply #136 on: November 02, 2020, 02:17:47 pm »

Quote from: New Ship Contract

The undersigned do hereby agree to charter a new ship, henceforth known as the Jolly Crustacean.  

The undersigned agree to maintain ownership proportional to their starting investment for a total of 12.2 Florins, which amount will be used to purchase the ship and a load of Trinkets for its maiden voyage.

After returning home, the cargo aboard the Jolly Crustacean will be automatically sold.  The profits will automatically used to purchase a new load of Trinkets, at which point the ship will set sail again.  The remaining Florins will be automatically divided among the Undersigned proportional to their investment.

Decisions involving the Jolly Crustacean may be resolved with a greater than 50% vote, wherein each of the Undersigned may submit a vote proportional to their investment.  The only exception is that this decision making process may not affect the "mandatory uniform clause" below, nor attempt to circumvent it in any way.

In order to improve moral and build crew unity, all crew members aboard the Jolly Crustacean will be required to wear a crab-themed uniform which must be worn while on duty.  Uniform maintenance will be deducted from the ships profits automatically.

The Undersigned:
-
-
-

Each person would need to kick in 2.44 Florins to make the boat work at 10 trinkets.

Alternatively, we could each kick in 2.264 Florins for a 20% stake and load up with only 6 trinkets, get the ball rolling.

What do you guys think, set sail with only 6 trinkets?

Kashyyk, you were interested in buying my Dochen Holz shares at 5% per turn at 0.45 Florins per turn, right?  I'll sell now, if I have enough takers to buy the ship.  I'll use the cash to bulk up the last few trinkets.

Spoiler: Happy Crab LLC (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 02:20:42 pm by evictedSaint »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 03, 2020, 03:30:18 am »

This really isn't a good contract. There's no reason for non-signatories to contribute to the trinket account, they get nothing from it as the 2 units of product go only to the signatories.
So? I don't expect them to do it, but there's no reason to ban it.
For that matter, since there's no provision for mandatory trinket funding, there is also no reason for signatories to contribute either, since they're getting 2 units from a successful voyage regardless of whether they contributed 2 Florins or absolutely nothing to the trinket fund. It's in the best interest of everyone to not contribute and free-ride off everyone else in a game of financial chicken until someone goes bankrupt.
An absurdity, since, if nobody contributes to the fund, no voyages happen. It's not a Nash equilibrium.

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 03, 2020, 09:04:08 am »

This really isn't a good contract. There's no reason for non-signatories to contribute to the trinket account, they get nothing from it as the 2 units of product go only to the signatories.
So? I don't expect them to do it, but there's no reason to ban it.
For that matter, since there's no provision for mandatory trinket funding, there is also no reason for signatories to contribute either, since they're getting 2 units from a successful voyage regardless of whether they contributed 2 Florins or absolutely nothing to the trinket fund. It's in the best interest of everyone to not contribute and free-ride off everyone else in a game of financial chicken until someone goes bankrupt.
An absurdity, since, if nobody contributes to the fund, no voyages happen. It's not a Nash equilibrium.

It's not an equilibrium, but it's still unfair. Let's say you and I are signatories, and after buying the ship, we both have 1 Florin left. You also contribute 4 Groschen and 4 Pfennigs to the trinket fund, while I do not. You now have 5 Groschen and 6 Pfennig left, while I have 1 Florin. I stubbornly refuse to contribute anything to the trinket fund for a few turns.

Now you have two options: either contribute further to the trinket fund to cover my part and get the ship moving, or not. If you do the former, the ship sails and returns, and both you and I have gotten 2 units of product as per the contract, but you paid 8 Groschen and 8 Pfennigs more for that product than I did, a losing proposition. If you do the latter, I simply wait until you run out of money from living expenses, which will happen to you first because you paid into the trinket fund and I didn't, so I have more money remaining. I then buy up your share at the bankruptcy auction and cackle evilly.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 03, 2020, 10:46:51 am »

It's not an equilibrium, but it's still unfair. Let's say you and I are signatories, and after buying the ship, we both have 1 Florin left. You also contribute 4 Groschen and 4 Pfennigs to the trinket fund, while I do not. You now have 5 Groschen and 6 Pfennig left, while I have 1 Florin. I stubbornly refuse to contribute anything to the trinket fund for a few turns.

Now you have two options: either contribute further to the trinket fund to cover my part and get the ship moving, or not. If you do the former, the ship sails and returns, and both you and I have gotten 2 units of product as per the contract, but you paid 8 Groschen and 8 Pfennigs more for that product than I did, a losing proposition. If you do the latter, I simply wait until you run out of money from living expenses, which will happen to you first because you paid into the trinket fund and I didn't, so I have more money remaining. I then buy up your share at the bankruptcy auction and cackle evilly.
Or, I just contribute by a separate contract dictating that my share of the payment is only deducted from my accounts IF a full load can be purchased.

I set it up this way, in fact, because the likely purchasers all have unequal funds and I am willing to cover more of the voyage costs from time to time if it's necessary to keep things moving, ie, if some of the shareholders run out of money.

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 03, 2020, 11:07:19 am »

Or, I just contribute by a separate contract dictating that my share of the payment is only deducted from my accounts IF a full load can be purchased.

I set it up this way, in fact, because the likely purchasers all have unequal funds and I am willing to cover more of the voyage costs from time to time if it's necessary to keep things moving, ie, if some of the shareholders run out of money.

The logic still applies if I have 1 Florin and 1 Pfennig left after buying the ship, and you have 1 Florin left - you will go bankrupt first. Or more pertinently, if one party has other income sources and another party doesn't.

Why don't you just add a clause for mandatory trinket purchasing? It's much simpler than having another contract with even more conditional contribution options for each time the ship sails. If you're worried about the shareholders not being all able to contribute for the initial load of trinkets, you can always just loan them a few Groschen to cover it.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 03, 2020, 12:04:49 pm »

Why don't you just add a clause for mandatory trinket purchasing?
Because I don't want that and wouldn't sign a contract that did include it.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Risky Ventures: Turn 7 Where in the world is Schrullige Tintenfisch?
« Reply #142 on: November 03, 2020, 02:05:09 pm »

Quote from: evictedSaint
Kashyyk, you were interested in buying my Dochen Holz shares at 5% per turn at 0.45 Florins per turn, right?  I'll sell now, if I have enough takers to buy the ship.  I'll use the cash to bulk up the last few trinkets.
I'd be happy to sign a contract to this effect.

Spoiler: Maths (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Stürn und Tochter (click to show/hide)
[/quote]

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Risky Ventures: Turn 11
« Reply #143 on: November 04, 2020, 03:19:41 am »

Turn 11
TURNTURNTURN

Schrullige Tintenfische returns with a load of bananas. Since they are the only ones with bananas, they sell their first unit for a whopping ₣2.4. The rest go for 8 Groschen each, for a total revenue of ₣9.6 from all cargo.

Sand prices increase due to unfulfilled demand.

Market
  • Lumber: 4 Groschen 5 pfennigs / Unit
  • Trinkets: 2 Groschen 2 pfennigs / Unit
  • Sand: 6 Groschen 5 pfennigs / Unit
  • Bananas: 8 Groschen / Unit
  • Ships (while supplies last): 10 Florins / Ship

Publicly Known Destinations
  • Home (Lumber): you are here
  • Nearsouthlands (Sand): 2 months travel
  • Aloysius Shores (Bananas): 3 months travel

Ships in port
  • Verkenning Geest
  • Schrullige Tintenfische

Enterprises
  • Dochen Holz: produces 5 Lumber. Upkeep: 1 florin
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 04, 2020, 03:45:05 am »

Spoiler: Krieg und Frieden (click to show/hide)

Well, I've got enough for 20% in a ship. Looking around, it seems like the least-scuffed contract is... oh dear. Well, I'd like to propose a minor alteration or two, shown here in red.

Quote from: New Ship Contract

The undersigned do hereby agree to charter a new ship, henceforth known as the Jolly Crustacean.  

The undersigned agree to maintain ownership proportional to their starting investment for a total of 12.2 Florins, which amount will be used to purchase the ship and a load of Trinkets for its maiden voyage.

After returning home, the cargo aboard the Jolly Crustacean will be automatically sold.  The profits will automatically used to purchase a new load of Trinkets, at which point the ship will set sail again. Alternatively, shareholders may request cargo be disbursed to their warehouse up to one item per 10% stake, but must pay for an equal number of trinkets upon doing so.  The remaining Florins will be automatically divided among the Undersigned proportional to their investment.

Decisions involving the Jolly Crustacean may be resolved with a greater than 50% vote, wherein each of the Undersigned may submit a vote proportional to their investment.  The only exception is that this decision making process may not affect the "mandatory uniform clause" below, nor attempt to circumvent it in any way.

In order to improve moral and build crew unity, all crew members aboard the Jolly Crustacean will be required to wear a crab-themed uniform which must be worn while on duty.  Uniform maintenance will be deducted from the ships profits Happy Crab LLC automatically.

The Undersigned:
- Sensei, Krieg und Frieden Proprietor (20% for ₣2.44)
-
-

Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Risky Ventures: Turn 7 Where in the world is Schrullige Tintenfisch?
« Reply #145 on: November 04, 2020, 03:57:39 am »

a1s yelled at me for not putting this in the thread. I was keeping track of it separately and believed, at the time, that it was optional to put it in the thread.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 03:59:50 am by Maximum Spin »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 04, 2020, 05:32:05 am »

Stürn und Tochter is still willing to sign a staged purchase agreement with Happy Crab LLC. We would also be interested in a second trade ship.

Spoiler: Maths (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Stürn und Tochter (click to show/hide)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 04, 2020, 05:58:00 am »

We would also be interested in a second trade ship.
Can I interest you in a party boat?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 04, 2020, 06:04:57 am »

I'm still willing to invest in a boat but people still seem to be messing around with contracts.
Spoiler: Douchound Inc. (click to show/hide)
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 04, 2020, 06:20:44 am »

Okay. Final offer from me. Open only to the Tintenfische proprietorship cabal.
Quote from: Sonstige Tintenfische
The below-signed four owners of Schrullige Tintenfische shall each pay a sum of three (3) Florins and five (5) Pfennigs toward the purchase of one (1) ship, to be designated Sonstige Tintenfische, and ten (10) trinkets to be loaded into same. Sonstige Tintenfische shall thenceforth be controlled by the same contractual language as Schrullige Tintenfische and will simply do the same thing its sister ship does at all times unless amended by further contract. The two ships and any further ships which may be added later shall collectively be referred to as die Tintenflotte.
Signed,
-for A. Schicklgruber und Söhne, A. Schicklgruber, Proprietor.
-
-
-
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17