Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17

Author Topic: Risky Ventures: Classic  (Read 14949 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Risky Ventures: Classic
« on: October 08, 2020, 04:31:07 am »

Risky Ventures: Classic

After centuries of being a feudal hellhole our island has finally turned a new leaf and has become a Merchant Republic. This means all serfdom is abolished and trade is now tax free. The old king's fleet is being sold to private investors to pay back revolutionary debts. If you believe leading economists this should lead our humble island into a full-fledged renaissance. (Of course if you believe the feudals this will lead to the complete collapse of society and profiting of the few on the shoulders of the many, but who would listen to them?)

This games is based closely on Kashyyk's Risky Ventures with some extra bells and whistles.
A short summary of the rules:
Anyone can join. You will posses four Florins and a small warehouse.
You can buy ships and enterprises for ten Florins.
Ships can be sent on journeys to a location of choice. A successful journey will yield ten units of that location's resource.
Ships may sink during a voyage.
Resources can be sold at the market. Prices fluctuate.
New locations and other actions will be unlocked as the game progresses. Funding voyages of exploration, and performing services for the Motherlands may hasten this.

I will (try to) update the thread regularly with news of returning ships, changing market prices, and other events. Each update corresponds to a month of in-game time.

Anyone may join at any time. Players are expected to keep track of their own resources, as follows:

Quote from: Example
NUKLEAR SHIPPING AND SONS INC(TM)
Assets:
4 Florins
small warehouse (0/10)

Quote from: EXAMPLE2
NUKLEAR SHIPPING AND SONS INC(TM)
Assets:
5 Groschen 7 Pfennigs
2 shares of a ship on journey to Nearsouthlands. Expected return date: 2 months.
1 share of a Shipyard
2 units of lumber
small warehouse (2/10)
Favor with The Republic: 1

the game will begin when there is sufficient interest.

Glossary
TURNTURNTURN
Hello! This is a1s I'll be irregularly updating this Glossary with information pertaining to the game.

Joining the Game
We are still open to new sign ups. When you join, you will start with four Florins, a burning desire for moar money and a small warehouse. You can use the following format for your company details. You will be responsible for including the latest version of your company details each time you do something. (Such as buying and selling stuff, not necessarily when you're merely negotiating with other players).

Code: (Company Details) [Select]
[spoiler=<Company Name>]
Funds: 4 Florins
[/spoiler]

Making Money
To start your journey towards owning a solid gold mansion, you need to find a revenue stream. The most traditional is to own one or more shares in a ship, which sails off somewhere for a few months, before hopefully coming back with a load of trade goods you can sell to the Motherland for a tidy profit. You can also own shares in productive enterprises or offer financial services, such as loans and insurance.

Buying a Ship
Normally, ships cost 10 Florins, but you can also buy a ship from another player for less. That is quite a bit more than what you start with, so you will need to find a few other people who are willing to pool their resources together to buy a ship. Someone will draw up a contract (useful so you know when people have officially agreed, and it gives me a bat signal I can quickly scan the thread for), which will be used to determine how many shares each person gets, the name of the ship, etc. Unless specified otherwise, it takes a unanimous vote to change a contract after it has been formed.

Destinations
The world is very fragmented, with lots of island nations, making it ripe for an enterprising trade ship to make money. Most locations have only one trade good available, which the locals are happy to give you in exchange for a bunch of cheap trinkets 1-for-1 . Also worth mentioning is that each destination takes a different amount of time to get to, across varyingly dangerous waters.

If the current destinations are not interesting for you, then you can fund an exploration mission. There's typically an independent explorer pan handling for donations, although you can also send a ship you own out to explore as well. These will hopefully reveal a new location with untapped riches for you to exploit.

Favours
The Republic is in a bit of financial difficulty, hence why you are being mostly left to your own devices. However, every time you do something for the benefit of the nation rather than yourself (such as sponsoring exploration, donating to the treasury and populace, etc) you will gain Favour. This is a very free form currency, that you can use to get the Doge to do stuff for you. If you've got an idea for it, make the suggestion and see what the Doge says.

Denominations
As part of the revolution, the nation's currency has undergone decimalization and 1 Florin consists of exactly 10 Groschen or 100 Pfennigs. 

Living Expenses
Each player must spend 1 Groschen per turn keeping up their mercurial lifestyle. So get to earning some money!

Bankruptcy
Players may go bankrupt in two different ways.
Voluntary:  A player either no longer wishes to play or is aware of their impending involuntary bankruptcy, and declares their only action that turn as "I declare bankruptcy".
Involuntary:  Either a player owes a debt they cannot pay to the Home Market (the GM), owes a debt they cannot pay to another player and cannot reconcile their agreement, or has gone afk for more than 3 turns.

In the event of a player going Bankrupt, all of their remaining assets are seized and Auctioned off to the remaining players the following turn (see: Auctions).  The funds generated from the Auction are then used to pay off as much of their remaining debt as possible, divided equally among any and all debtors and paying out to a maximum of the amount owed amount to each.

Kingmaking
"Kingmaking" is the process by which a losing player throws their support to another player, thus giving them an advantage over their opponents.  Players attempting to "give away" their assets before declaring Bankruptcy in order to avoid paying their debts will be caught by the Securities and Exchange Commission, have those transactions rendered null, and go through standard Bankruptcy and Auction normally.  There's no hard-and-fast rule for triggering the Kingmaking rule: it's obvious when Kingmaking is happening, so I’ll be quite unhappy if you give me more work to do.

Auctions
In order to participate in an Auction, players will post the AMOUNT they are willing to purchase and the PRICE they will pay per each unit.  The HIGHEST PRICE posted in an unedited post will receive first pass at the available shares, followed by the NEXT HIGHEST and so on.  EDITED POSTS are INVALID for posting bids.  In the event of two equally priced bids, priority will go to whoever posted the bid earlier.  Players may only ever have 1 active bid on a specific auction item at a time, which will always be their highest priced bid – with secondary priority on the share amount. Players may have multiple bids on different items at once.

I am open to criticism/questions.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 04:39:42 am by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Risky Ventures: Classic
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 04:32:22 am »

Players:
Maximum Spin: A. Schicklgruber und Söhne
Maxinum McDreich: Dreichin Industries
King Zultan: Douchound Inc.
Kashyyk: Stürn und Tochter
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 05:39:24 pm by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 04:39:02 am by a1s »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 04:33:18 am »

List of currently available enterprises:
All enterprises cost 10 Florins to set up and 1 Florin/turn to run.
  • Shipyard: Use 10 lumber to produce a ship
  • Lumber yard: Use public trees (currently free) to produce 5 Lumber
  • Woodcarver Workshop: Use 1 lumber to produce 10 trinkets
  • Glassblower Workshop: Use 1 sand to produce 12 trinkets
You can also build small warehouses for 1 Florin and 3 Lumber. They store 10 goods and there is no upkeep.

Market
  • Lumber: 5 Groschen / Unit
  • Trinkets: 2 Groschen / Unit
  • Sand (none available): 6 Groschen / Unit
  • Bananas (none available): ? Groschen / Unit
  • Ships (while supplies last): 10 Florins / Ship

Publicly Known Destinations
  • Home (Lumber): you are here
  • Nearsouthlands (Sand): 2 months travel
  • Aloysius Shores (Bananas): 3 months travel
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 03:49:14 am by a1s »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 04:50:39 am »

« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 04:54:48 am by Maximum Spin »

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 10:58:44 am »

quick question: seems trinkets cost us this time (I'm all for it!), but it's not necessarily clear incase people skim read: am I right in saying that we now pay 1 florin for the 10 units of trinkets per shipment?

ergo, a ship brings back 10 units of sand, giving 5 florins, minus 1 florin for the trinkets, netting 4 florin profit? (atleast until player owned lumber yards and woodcarver workshops).

Definitely joining, by the by.

Spoiler: Dreichin Industries (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 11:02:09 am by Maxinum McDreich »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2020, 12:16:56 pm »

A small inconsistency was brought to my attention, so producing trinkets now gives a (small) profit. The game is about running risky ships after all, not safe enterprises.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2020, 02:53:34 am »

Spoiler: Douchound Inc. (click to show/hide)
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2020, 09:32:26 am »

Spoiler: Stürn und Tochter (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 01:39:54 pm by Kashyyk »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2020, 01:07:26 pm »

A. Schicklgruber, Proprietor, seeks partners in or loans toward the construction of a new lumberyard.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2020, 01:44:06 pm »

I am looking for three equally adventurous companies to each put in 3 florins to have equal shares in a ship loaded with trinkets and destined for the Nearsouthlands. Time wasters need not apply.

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2020, 02:24:19 pm »

if it's time to get started, happily put 3 florins to that ship, Sturn and Tochter.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2020, 03:34:30 pm »

I am looking for three equally adventurous companies to each put in 3 florins to have equal shares in a ship loaded with trinkets and destined for the Nearsouthlands. Time wasters need not apply.
I will also agree to this.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2020, 03:44:14 am »

I'm also interested.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2020, 04:20:35 am »

Wonderful! Let's make it official then.

Quote from: Purchase of the Merchant Ship 'Schrullige Tintenfische'
We, the undersigned will each contribute 3 florins to a joint venture that will purchase a Merchant Ship, the 'Schrullige Tintenfische' and a full cargo of trinkets, to be taken to the Nearsouthlands for trade. A 75% majority is required for decisions regarding this vessel.

- Stürn und Tochter
-
-
-

Spoiler: Stürn und Tochter (click to show/hide)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17