Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Creepy or unsettling aspects of dwarf fortress  (Read 10088 times)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: Creepy or unsettling aspects of dwarf fortress
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2020, 05:55:38 am »

so far that iceberg needs 'the iceberg will eat you.'

shock there isn't any 'the sites are alive.' bits.

the zombies make the towers thing is uhh iffy given from what I research the site it self makes the zombies, and everyone in DF is a mix of site spawn inhabitants and historical figures that lived long eventful lives... that eventually lead to a family tree that gets to live along the site spawn units.
and a big things is no one in DF really have a bestiary as large and expansive as the adventurer like they don't know anything or any one or what they are, at best their historical figure probably got into an encounter with some creatures but yeah their entries of historical figures and creature races and castes are empty and usually get filled  with what the adventurer is and maybe the local folk in the room after you talk to them.

this means a human town peasant doesn't know what a cat or dog or deer is and this explains the 'it was inevitable' as that pops up when someone has no emotional ties to what ever was told to them, which is common if they have no idea what going on in the world.
this does mean adventurers are just talking to site spawn fodder that gains a historical figure that is so fresh and blank that you're probably not going to get info from them on rumors and expect them to care about it... until you teach them why to care.

also a bit about the souls thing I found it pretty funny how I attempted to shove a deity into a unit thinking that's how you get them to exist when the solution was to cram the deity historical figure into a nemesis and assign the nemesis into the site.
which makes the process more instead of scrapping someone historical self from their physical self I could be generating a connector of historical self and physical self and slot it into a site... and have the site spawn a fresh avatar for the deity.

I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2020, 05:21:51 pm »

On the elf cannibalism thing I think I remember reading in one of Threetoe's stories that, after killing an enemy, elves are overcome by an unnatural hunger, so it's not really that they even want to eat their enemies, its that they have to.
Also I think there's an implication that the goblins by themselves arent evil (they can integrate into other civs normally and all), but that the demons that basically enslaved them make them that.
Also, I do remember another Threetoe story about a kobold snatching a baby, which they don't do in the game, but if that gets added into the game some day that would also be rather grim, because unlike goblins, kobolds arent intelligent enough to raise/enslave/brainwash dwarven children the way goblins can, so they'd probably just eat them, which could potentially lead to an adventurer stumbling into an adventurer stumbling into a kobold cave and finding it littered with piles of Urist Mc Borntoday's bones.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

Su

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angel Island Zone
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2020, 05:27:40 am »

surprised nobody has mentioned that trade caravans carry barrels upon barrels of blood with them.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2020, 05:43:50 am »

surprised nobody has mentioned that trade caravans carry barrels upon barrels of blood with them.

That... Is a very good point. And tears. And sweat.

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2020, 06:19:44 am »

Dwarven homeopathy.

zev_zev

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2020, 07:38:23 am »

Should we be pleased of absence toilet in game?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 07:46:16 am by zev_zev »

Silverlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2020, 04:48:57 pm »

Pleased.  We should very much be pleased at the absence. 

More to the point of the thread, the combat systems routinely makes nightmarish scenes, what with creatures methodically breaking all the bones in opponents one by one, mothers using babies as weapons and/or shields, and wounded dwarves crawling along with their guts dragging behind them -- putting the "trails" into "entrails," as it were.
"All right boys, let's strike the- *crack* whatthefwarblblub..."
"...Dibs on the pick."
Hidden beneath rusting weapons was a mass of assorted bones. An elf, a goblin, even an ogre. All just waiting for someone to walk by and notice them, like some kind of land mine of horror.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2020, 05:14:44 pm »

The numerous possibilities of forgotten beasts generating with plague-spreading / superheated / poisonous / acidic / etc steams, dusts, slimes, or other fluids exuded from their bodies. Like, imagine if you saw a giant snail with pure black eyes and as soon as you went within fifteen feet of it you just started vomiting blood.
Black lives matter.

Su

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angel Island Zone
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2020, 01:41:47 pm »

toilet

absence of toilet

ruining this thread with the cursed knowledge of the hardcoded materials FILTH_B and FILTH_Y

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2020, 06:00:33 pm »

Pleased.  We should very much be pleased at the absence. 

More to the point of the thread, the combat systems routinely makes nightmarish scenes, what with creatures methodically breaking all the bones in opponents one by one, mothers using babies as weapons and/or shields, and wounded dwarves crawling along with their guts dragging behind them -- putting the "trails" into "entrails," as it were.

Horses putting people in headlocks...

Su

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angel Island Zone
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2020, 02:08:49 am »

this one might reveal my lack of knowledge of anatomy, but... skulls don't contain tendons, right? tendons connect muscles to bone. so why do I get messages during combat that a tendon in the skull has been torn? what could it possibly be connecting?

or is it like, the ones that connect to the jaw

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2020, 02:52:44 am »

Any muscle's got to be connected to something. And you have a lot of face muscles.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2020, 07:18:23 am »

Most obvious is the temporomandibular system...

(I think the confusion is thinking of "in your skull".)

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2020, 03:36:38 pm »

So, dwarves use farm plots as toilets. Mushrooms needs a substrate.

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2020, 06:04:41 pm »

Goblins not need to eat. But their livestock lack this token. And almost all their animals are carnivores. When goblins can live even in deserts. What if trolls eat goblins? Corpses of murdered goblins are boring. Trolls eat unwanted children!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4