Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Creepy or unsettling aspects of dwarf fortress  (Read 10204 times)

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creepy or unsettling aspects of dwarf fortress
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2020, 12:26:22 am »

Elves consuming sentients after battles should be a bit disturbing - depending on how many they consume...

They're just elves though.  If they bug you just pour magma on them.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2020, 01:58:00 am »

Actually in fort mode they will (or at least did) eat every opponent they defeat instantly (technically I think the corpse just vanishes). So in theory, if there were a legendary elven warrior in a raid and you had no armor or weapons to defend against them, they could kill and eat every dwarf in the fortress. Hundreds.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2020, 03:28:05 am »

I've seen Legends characters who consumed scores of enemies in single battles. Horrific if they keep fighting while doing it.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2020, 08:59:57 am »

I've seen Legends characters who consumed scores of enemies in single battles. Horrific if they keep fighting while doing it.

This seems to imply very interesting questions about diet and nutrition.

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2020, 04:20:42 pm »

Well, and older version of the game before procedurally generated hidden fun stuff had a chamber of demons deep beneath the earth, with one of the possibilities being all-male tentacle demons which keep insane sentients trapped in filth-covered cages. That's kind of disturbing.
I want this things back.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2020, 07:06:32 pm »

In a minotuar labyrinth, you could find bone mill of it's previous victims. Also, if you're adventurer is killed in a goblin camp. The bandit goblins will take your corpse and impale it on a stick. I honestly only saw this happened to me once, but I'm sure this is an actual feature.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2020, 07:26:54 pm »

Another spookum - bogeymen set the world to be horribly oppressive. Going outside at night is a death sentence for most peasants. Take too long when hunting along and you're dead. Getting lost in the mountains means no one would search for you.

Luckily bogeymen are more location-based now, instead of ever present.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2020, 08:35:07 pm »

Oh yeah, those boogeyman were terrifying. I had this one adventurer who was ambushed by a bunch of animal people killing her whole companion of 2. And she only barely made it alive with a massive injury to her leg that forced her to crawl. She was in the middle of nowhere in a forest and the sun was about to set. She desperately crawled her way to a hamlet. But it was too late, the moon was out, and incessant cackling surrounded her.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2020, 02:53:01 am »

so are we going to ignore the whole fort mode and adventure mode are being controlled by an unseeing force?
like every single horror thing in this game is mostly done by the players on unwilling beings that can only emote.
it's probably one of those 'oh wait is that what I'm doing' and known said point where players immersion breaks.
the 'you're possessing these folks' got more apparent when adv groups and retiring got added in though I do feel like Fort mode is probably the children of the corn bit, and adv mode is personal body possession with a small set of groups that you could convince to join the collective in a player fort to control.

oh do feel like all the research I done on bogeymen mostly led to the conclusion of they are only scary if you naturally have fear.... which spider folk don't have at all.
 so bogeymen in the pre-47 days would just been "oh I get a concert" for arachnid adventurers.... but yeah it's currently possible to weaponize and collect bogeymen to join your hivemind group of fort citizens in vanilla now.

the process does requires a dead adventurer to pull this off and hoping you fill a player fort with nothing but spider folk to avoid countless deaths but yeah totally possible to weaponize them.

edit : oh wait there's the literal iceburg in DF that will eat any adventurer if they venture too deep into it. Frozen oceans were a "always there looming threat" that you need to either fly really high above the ice floor or go really fast so that when the ice breaks you don't get flash froze and be added to the ice.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 03:03:50 am by Rumrusher »
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2020, 03:32:22 am »

^ rumrusher's experiments. Many off them belong here.

I mean I also experimented with slave castes to birth extra fort members, but that was before summoning interactions and they're pretty much defunct now.

Oh. The caverns. They're just plain spooky in adventure mode. You can get lost literally forever.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2020, 11:50:22 am »

so far it seems to be the tip of the ice burg is toady descriptions on the creatures, and the rest of the ice burg is "just the horrible stuff players did in the game" and "the literal ice burg it self." "oh and all the horrible stuff players did in the game was on unwilling folks as they are possessing those civilians and adventurers"
"body swapping and YOU!"

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2020, 12:05:09 pm »

Before adventure mode crafting became moddable, the only way to acquire new clothes if you needed them was off a dead guy. Burning people alive and snatching their clothes before they ignite doesn't get reported by the game as any particular crime.
I make Spellcrafts!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2020, 10:23:51 pm »

Before adventure mode crafting became moddable, the only way to acquire new clothes if you needed them was off a dead guy. Burning people alive and snatching their clothes before they ignite doesn't get reported by the game as any particular crime.
ok I know trading was a thing before crafting was added. if folks wanted stuff bad they would have to find stuff that would equal to the value of the clothes they wanted.
then there's the whole bit where someone could get dressed between retiring and unretiring their adventurers.
"body swapping and YOU!"

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2020, 08:11:28 pm »

In 00.44.xx, Armies do not give Recruits Equipment of any Kind.

It makes Us wonder why they even bother sending Recruits.

EDIT:  We have also witnessed one of Our Dwarfs shake an Elf Recruit to Death.  The unfortunate Recruit was nearly decapitated by the Vigor of the Attack, and the Dwarf's Grip alone drew Blood.  At the Time, We felt some measure of Pity for the Elf in Question.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2020, 10:50:39 pm »

Well, every unit has the capacity to have a bunch of souls, but none actually have more than one. Some particularly rotten individuals don't have one at all.

I did make an iceberg but, eh. I made some stuff up to spice it up (there's only two made up things on this chart, that I know of) and some of them are just weird theories.

Map rotation's a fun one. I don't think it's used right now, but it is fully functional. Could get some good use out of it later. Basically, there's an integer in memory that the game reads from for display; it's always set to 0 right now, but if it's set to any other value, the map is rotated, 90 degrees at a time. I think it used to be used way back in 0.23 for fortress diving, to form "fake" Z levels by having stairs at parts in the (very 2D) fortress that block visuals of  the next part and rotate the map once you go down them, so you're temporarily disoriented.

I can see this getting a lot of good use for, e.g., evil (or good, for that matter) forests being "lost woods" type things.

EDIT: How could I forget about werewolves giving birth off-site causing the end of all life? (i.e. it crashes your save, this is getting fixed soon, oh well)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 10:52:23 pm by Putnam »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4