Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Surviving in the worst world imaginable  (Read 2643 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Surviving in the worst world imaginable
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2020, 03:57:50 pm »

Not everyone is a native speaker of English or some bastardized version thereof. I can also point you towards the built in ambiguity over meanings by referring to the cat/dwarf milk vs cow/sheep milk meanings.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2020, 08:43:47 am »

Not everyone is a native speaker of English or some bastardized version thereof. I can also point you towards the built in ambiguity over meanings by referring to the cat/dwarf milk vs cow/sheep milk meanings.
I think it was just poking fun at an assumed misspelling, nothing to do with native language.  Also, I'm actually very interested to hear how one could get cat & dwarf interchanged (cow & sheep seems more plausible).

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2020, 11:21:29 am »

I think it was just poking fun at an assumed misspelling, nothing to do with native language.  Also, I'm actually very interested to hear how one could get cat & dwarf interchanged (cow & sheep seems more plausible).
Not interchanged. Cat Milk and Dwarf Milk are FOR cats/dwarves, while Cow Milk and Sheep Milk are FROM cows/sheep.
A somewhat similar case is that a metal door is made FROM metal, while a basement door leads TO a basement, but there you'd at least have the indication that one is a material and one is a location (although what would a cheese door be? Made from cheese or leading to the cheese storage...). In Planescape Torment they had Baby Soap, if I remember correctly...

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2020, 02:40:01 pm »

Not interchanged. Cat Milk and Dwarf Milk are FOR cats/dwarves, while Cow Milk and Sheep Milk are FROM cows/sheep.
A somewhat similar case is that a metal door is made FROM metal, while a basement door leads TO a basement, but there you'd at least have the indication that one is a material and one is a location (although what would a cheese door be? Made from cheese or leading to the cheese storage...). In Planescape Torment they had Baby Soap, if I remember correctly...

Interesting. I didn't realise our beloved game distinguished between milk intended for animals to drink and milk intended for sapients to drink, I thought it just registered it as milk. So only one definition would be relevant.

The cheese door is a more likely example here (strange moods are... well... strange sometimes) but can be solved with the word room. "cheese room door" vs "cheese door", "cavern tree room door" vs "cavern tree door", or "camel hair room door" (sodding reanimating biomes and their reanimation of unkillable body parts mutter mutter keep that door locked!) vs "camel hair door" (the result of a strange mood in a tannery). As native speakers we leave out the "room" part.

But I think we're getting off topic! Cannons!
Made me think of my wagon being scuttled, then used for parts. If you can butcher a wagon and get wagon wood, why not butcher the cannon and get cannon meat? I recommend young cannons, the older ones would be tough as an old lump of iron...
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2020, 03:03:29 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=101941.0

Adventures on Monster Island

So I'm slightly terrified, I admit it. I don't think I've ever been in a situation so... grim before. It's completely metal and I love it. I'm a naked muscular man with long flowing golden hair, a spear in one hand and a dagger in another, the only one of my kind, on a volcanic mountain of evil which is the only land in the entire world. As a result, every single monster in the world lives on this tiny island, and anything that isn't a monster is an undead abomination. If that's not badass I don't know what is.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2020, 05:34:20 pm »

The cheese door is a more likely example here (strange moods are... well... strange sometimes) but can be solved with the word room. "cheese room door" vs "cheese door", "cavern tree room door" vs "cavern tree door", or "camel hair room door" (sodding reanimating biomes and their reanimation of unkillable body parts mutter mutter keep that door locked!) vs "camel hair door" (the result of a strange mood in a tannery). As native speakers we leave out the "room" part.

But I think we're getting off topic! Cannons!
Made me think of my wagon being scuttled, then used for parts. If you can butcher a wagon and get wagon wood, why not butcher the cannon and get cannon meat? I recommend young cannons, the older ones would be tough as an old lump of iron...

I was thinking more that the prefix of the noun would make the difference.  A cheese door would be a door made of the material, cheese.  THE cheese door would be the special door leading to the room that stores cheese, or possibly an artifact door made of cheese.
Pages: 1 [2]