Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Music] N.E.S. - Dwarf Fortress  (Read 7673 times)

neobit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Page with my goodies (games, music, photos)
[Music] N.E.S. - Dwarf Fortress
« on: October 14, 2020, 07:51:50 am »

My troupe went to Titthalustuth.
This is what they have presented there:
https://soundcloud.com/nes-1/sets/dwarf-fortress

...and it ended up with a brawl.

Enjoy!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: [Music] N.E.S. - Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 07:02:36 pm »

Yo... I love this! My fav might be Olin Astikthag!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

neobit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 05:43:35 am »

Hey Urist McScoopbeard, it's very nice to know.

I think, I like Etnār Bakat best from this album. It is the shortest, yet somehow I feel it being the closest to dwarf spirit.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 06:13:24 am by neobit »

Rust_Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • Click signature for DF Procedural Portraits!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 02:43:07 am »

Hey! We meet again Neobit!
My turn for some feedback.

Can I just say that it warmed my heart? Very, very good feeling from the song. It's going to stick in my browser for some time and listen to it when I work!
1. Can you share more about yourself? Do you create music professionally? For how long have you been doing it?
2. Are these songs actually used by any DF Youtuber or mod maker? They should be promoted a bit more and see what the community thinks of them.

Your craftsmanship is of the highest quality!

EDIT: The songs that resonated with me so far are (in descending order):

Titthalustuth,
Em Nish Tathak,
Etnār Bakat,
Anil Bakat,
Elathu Ewĕ,
Estbehal

It's a bit strange but the start to close mid of Em Nish Tathak is in some points a bit close to my own culture's folklore musical line.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 03:43:57 am by Rust_Knight »
DWARF VISION - REALTIME IN-GAME DF PORTRAIT GENERATOR

Every little bit of your help on our Patreon GREATLY fuels our energy to further develop DWARF VISION !

neobit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 05:49:54 pm »

@Rust_Knight
Now I see you have written in here. You have invested some time into it, appreciated!
That is very nice to hear. This album meant to be a spectacle that happened in a fort almost two years ago. Ushrir, Vabok and Olin could have liked it if they would survive the purge (new DF version ended their universe).
Thanks for kind words :)

As for your questions:
1. I don't do it professionally. This is one of my non-profit activities.
   It started in 2004 and now I am trying to complete couple of albums/projects a year. On soundcloud I have published over 70 tracks of them. Yet, they are rather distant from this album in terms of genre (most of them are electronic or ambient).
2. I sometimes use them in my youtube/twitch streams but it is very niche, though.
  Some of my music I have done for that purpose only, to have some more background music for the games I stream (like Cataclysm Dark days Ahead, Kenshi and of course Dwarf Fortress).

p.s. I have pretty similar list of favs for that album :)
I think Em Nish Tathak has Caucasus vibe. But probably could have been portrayed in Balkans as well. Am I very far?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 06:18:56 am by neobit »

neobit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2021, 04:56:41 pm »

It might be a little early for asking things like that but as I never have time it might be better to plan it ahead.

Last year for Christmas I have released music pack (in form of soundtrack) for CDDA (three albums stylized on Fallout, Stalker, Kenshi...) and soundtrack from my game Forgiven Forgotten Fallen. Both can be downloaded and listen to in any music player (supporting ogg and aiff).

This year I was thinking about releasing this album i.e. N.E.S. - Dwarf Fortress under similar conditions.

But as this require some time to render the music, prepare license and place it correctly, before I invest the time into it I would like to ask first:
- will there be anyone interested in having such album?
- what format of music files you are interested in? (Lossless can probably go up to 500 MB, so it might be better to go with something smaller)

I am not yet sure which license should I use. Previous albums I released under two different CC.
If you have any comments, please leave them here or DM me.

p.s. if you are interested, albums from last year can be downloaded on N.E.S. subpage on my website.

Rust_Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • Click signature for DF Procedural Portraits!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2021, 03:05:59 pm »

It's funny that you ask.
I actually came back to this post because I couldn't recall the place where I used to hear these songs. (no link)

Actually... just yesterday I had the tune from Em Nish Tathak playing in my head in the middle of the day.
I wasn't sure at first where I first heard it. Played it very clearly in my head 4-5 times. Gave up as I couldn't remember if it was a game/movie/random youtube song.

Next day when I woke up, I replayed the tune and it instantly came to me that it was your song.
Yes, I would be interested in your music to be honest.

I think I'd enjoy recording it on some tapes and listen them analogue/walkman style while doing a forest walk. What's furthermore interesting is that I like most of the songs. They all have a certain style I like.
DWARF VISION - REALTIME IN-GAME DF PORTRAIT GENERATOR

Every little bit of your help on our Patreon GREATLY fuels our energy to further develop DWARF VISION !

neobit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2021, 01:56:22 pm »

Thanks for sharing. That is awesome and heart-warming.
I don't get much feedback normally so that is very pleasant to read.

Then of course I will prepare the archive. Might be hard to do it on cassette...  ;)
I come back later this year with more info.

neobit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2021, 04:13:23 am »

I have recorded mini series with my music as the only source of the sound. Most of the sound tracks are available on my page. Only the album from this topic is still to be released.
At first I just wanted to check out how it would work with the game but eventually I soaked into to the game again.
The series is about couple of forts in the same world.

The first video had a little lesser quality, but starting from the second they are in HD.
I have scheduled one episode every second day. I will probably continue with the series for some time, there are 13 videos in the playlist so far.

Link to the playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noikH7ivzN0&list=PL7U2dMjNd9yDptJsKU4Y7ceHiIxYP3rZq
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 04:15:15 am by neobit »

neobit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2022, 04:41:23 pm »

It took me some time but I made the bundle finally.
Link is in download page at https://genuitx.com/nes/
Files are mp3 under CC BY-NC license.

From other news: I work with distribution service now (instead of publishing on Soundcloud only) so some of my old music and future music is on Spotify (and dozen other places).
Dwarf Fortress album is also there in raw quality.
If someone is interested you can find me e.g. here https://open.spotify.com/artist/7c3hOoPR7X19Wiw6nzrSPV?si=sudGsSZxRYCqE6Aq9acSPA

Cheers and have a good one!

p.s. here is the cassette