Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: jeweler's ws stopped working  (Read 1354 times)

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
jeweler's ws stopped working
« on: October 15, 2020, 09:52:47 am »

so, i have built a jeweler's workshop to cut some gems

those raw gems are in bins in a gem stockpile which accepts both cut and rough gems

on the q menu of the jeweler's workshop, those gems don't appear anymore, without reasons

the previous queued orders say that the jeweler's cancels order, need rough gems

I tried removing rough gems from stuff accepted from that stockpiles and everything seems to work again, no, worse, i need to cancel that stockpile and make a new one without rough gems

why is that?
http://dwarffortressitalia.tumblr.com/

Italian blog about Dwarf Fortress

Il primo blog italiano su Dwarf Fortress

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: jeweler's ws stopped working
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 10:02:52 am »

UPDATE there is a task or job involving the bins which contains the gems

it appears that someone has to put or retrieve something from that bin and it makes all the stuff in it unusable

isn't that an old... old... ancient bug?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 11:31:57 am »

Yes. That's the reason a lot of people hate bins, and the Jeweler's workshop both taking and giving to the same bin is the worst example of that.

When someone gets a job to access a bin the bin is locked for any other access until the access is done, and everything in that bin becomes unavailable for jobs. It might be that the lock strikes only as the dorf draws somewhat near, but regardless, the end result is that the bin contents fluctuates betweee being accessible and not.

You can use bins if the actions of putting stuff into them is separated in time from actions of retrieval, or if you don't care much about whether some bins are unavailable. I use bins to store worn/troll clothing for trade/garbage disposal and then order them hauled to the trade depot when caravans come in. Some bins are typically locked when I order the caravan hauling, and so will have to wait for the next caravan (or the next...).

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 11:46:29 am »

Yes. That's the reason a lot of people hate bins, and the Jeweler's workshop both taking and giving to the same bin is the worst example of that.

When someone gets a job to access a bin the bin is locked for any other access until the access is done, and everything in that bin becomes unavailable for jobs. It might be that the lock strikes only as the dorf draws somewhat near, but regardless, the end result is that the bin contents fluctuates betweee being accessible and not.

You can use bins if the actions of putting stuff into them is separated in time from actions of retrieval, or if you don't care much about whether some bins are unavailable. I use bins to store worn/troll clothing for trade/garbage disposal and then order them hauled to the trade depot when caravans come in. Some bins are typically locked when I order the caravan hauling, and so will have to wait for the next caravan (or the next...).

i suspected that... but why we don't have the same issue with barrels or pot? like, i put a seed in a bag, the bag in a barrel, if i need that or other seeds in that barrel, does that blocks the barrel from doing other tasks?

i'll have to resolve not using bins for the gem stockpile them, what a mess...

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 01:48:57 pm »

You do have the same issue with barrels/pots...

That's why I have liquids only stockpile that are the only ones allowing barrels/pots. In fact, seeds in bags in barrels are supposed to be rather bad.

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 02:07:37 pm »

You do have the same issue with barrels/pots...

That's why I have liquids only stockpile that are the only ones allowing barrels/pots. In fact, seeds in bags in barrels are supposed to be rather bad.
yea even though having that issue with seeds isn't that bad

but trading bags of seeds instead of barrels full of various bags of seeds should be a better solution... hm...

i'll need a huge stockpile for seeds...

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 03:23:38 am »

i usually keep a smallish (~4-8 tiles) seeds stockpile near my farms that only permits the seed types i'm planting and forbids barrels/bins, another seeds stockpile near the trade depot that permits every other seed (but not the ones i'm planting) and allows barrels, and finally i make sure seeds are forbidden on my food/drink stockpile(s).  seems to work well, though setting up the permit/forbid lists takes a while initially

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2020, 07:09:17 am »

If using DFHack, there is an in-game save/load stockpile settings function, and it saves them across embarks. Very handy!
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2020, 03:32:31 pm »

i usually keep a smallish (~4-8 tiles) seeds stockpile near my farms that only permits the seed types i'm planting and forbids barrels/bins, another seeds stockpile near the trade depot that permits every other seed (but not the ones i'm planting) and allows barrels, and finally i make sure seeds are forbidden on my food/drink stockpile(s).  seems to work well, though setting up the permit/forbid lists takes a while initially
this is a good suggestion, i just need a f ton of bags to store seeds which otherwise would occupy a tile each!

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 02:53:31 pm »

Similar situation here. I almost never use bins, and use quantum stockpiles extensively to save space. Only drinks and prepared meals use barrels/pots, and bins are only used for select output-only purposes (like accumulating trade goods for easy hauling to the depot)

For seeds, using bags only (no barrels) and having a quantum seed stockpile works great.

All of that works fully automated except for trade goods (leather and cloth) that arrive in bins, of which leather is usually the only one I end up having to deal with. That consists of manually dumping all leather out of the bins after its purchased.

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2020, 10:39:57 am »

Similar situation here. I almost never use bins, and use quantum stockpiles extensively to save space. Only drinks and prepared meals use barrels/pots, and bins are only used for select output-only purposes (like accumulating trade goods for easy hauling to the depot)

For seeds, using bags only (no barrels) and having a quantum seed stockpile works great.

All of that works fully automated except for trade goods (leather and cloth) that arrive in bins, of which leather is usually the only one I end up having to deal with. That consists of manually dumping all leather out of the bins after its purchased.
I kinda hate quantum stockpiles but i guess i'll have to resolve to use them

mostly because gems are way lighter than rocks

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2020, 03:23:46 pm »

At least separate the stockpiles for raw and cut gems. You still get cancelation spam when storing gems from caravan, but in most other cases it works decent.

If you never ever want to see a cancelation, you will have to ban bins.