Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dorf Noggins [v.0.1] - Stylized Dwarf Tiles  (Read 12093 times)

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dorf Noggins [v.0.1] - Stylized Dwarf Tiles
« on: November 19, 2013, 08:34:38 pm »

I was toying around with drawing tiles for alternative races, and accidentally stumbled onto a dwarf tile that I really liked.  After experimenting with turning it into profession-related tiles to swap into a tileset, I settled on tiles representing only the head and the profession-related icon.  I was pleased with the result and decided to finish it up as it was different than traditional dwarf tiles

Note: There are some handy guidelines when it comes to drawing sprites.  One such guideline is to focus on defining features and oversize in relation to the rest of the image.  For game characters this means enlarge the head and any equipment/items.  Here I took it this the logical conclusion and only used the Head and defining equipment.

I distracted myself for a week drawing this up, and I thought the result was worth sharing.  Here is the tile sheet, oversized 2x for easier browser viewing and with an in-game representative background.

Want to give it a try?  The tile sheet and graphics file can be downloaded here  -  -  -  DF 34.11 Graphics - Dorf Noggins  -  -  -  already packaged and ready to extract to your Dwarf Fortress directory.  You will need to disable your current dwarf graphics.  Easiest method is to locate the graphics text file for your current dwarves and manually remove the brackets from around OBJECT:GRAPHICS

I'll probably keep toying around with this and tweaking it until it is as crisp and clean as my OCD will allow.  I feel many tiles could be brightened to improve contrast and visibility, and I'm still experimenting with background shading and texture.

God help me, I feel like making a full tileset now...

Credits:  Phoebus; Goddamn that man is beautiful.  I ripped him off drew inspiration from his tilset and borrowed some portions of his sprites to construct some of these new tiles.  Also Ironhand, but only a little bit  ;D.  And some other fair use sprite imagery from the wild wild web.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 08:42:12 pm by Wannabehero »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Re: Dorf Noggins [v.0.1] - Stylized Dwarf Tiles
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 08:49:58 pm »

That is... adorable. I am reminded of Yukkuri for better or worse. :P

Might have to give this a shot!

Vabalokis

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McKneeGrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 11:20:17 am »

id like "in action" screenshot

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 11:51:03 pm »

Screen Shots

Forgive the slight blurring.  My screen resolution is set incorrectly, causing some minor aliasing on the in game sprites.  It is much better with 24px tilesets.

Spoiler: Example 1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Example 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Example 3 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 02:42:05 pm by Wannabehero »

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 03:29:08 pm »

I'm not a tile-user myself, but I will congratulate you for creating such an attractive set.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 10:41:05 am »

Those are adorable.  I think I need to try to this out!
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

GandalfTheGreyt3791

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 05:48:16 pm »

do you know if you could update it for the current version?

Literaljoker99

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2020, 03:14:02 pm »

Brilliant! Using a profession icon rather than a whole outfit allows the set to be very informative.
"I wish I could change my username"
    -Literaljoker99 Sanzarote