Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fight for the Woods - a Fairy Tale Arms Race  (Read 1721 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: Fight for the Woods - a Fairy Tale Arms Race
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2021, 11:56:29 am »

Interlude 1: A Royal Speech

(This takes place right after Raid Phase 1)

King Artri stepped out onto the balcony, and a roaring crowd greeted him. He blinked the sun out of his eyes. This was his first public appearance in some time, and he wanted to make it perfect. He raised a hand, clad in a finely engraved gauntlet, and the crown quieted. He spoke, his youthful voice ringing clear out across the public square. “Greetings, my fair people. Today we celebrate the 1 year anniversary of the changes taking place in our fine kingdom. Many of you were here in this very square one year ago when I announced that we, with the aid of my adviser Rafal, would cast off the oppressive mantle of the Storian, and live in its shadow no more. For too long we had let our lives and destinies be dictated by a simple pen. My grandfather, King Tedros, may he rest in peace, had his life destroyed by the fickle pen, and it took him his entire life to set things right.

It has not been an easy battle, and the forces of an artificial fate would have us go back to the original order. Many of you have lost families and livelihoods, and I thank all of you for your support through this hardship. Today, we confirm our commitment to this cause - we shall persevere and see this through, until we finally stand over the power of the pen, victorious.”
With this, Artri raised his fist to the sky as the square erupted in cheers, the diverse citizenry of camelot crying out in support. However, the cheers were cut through by magically amplified voice, as the press began to ask questions. Rolling his shoulders, Artri motioned the crowd to relative silence, answering a variety of questions for the gossip-deprived news rags. The Camelot Courier was first, asking if the recent unrest in Jaunt Jolie had anything to do with changes to naval law that, while Artri had approved them at a similar time, were unrelated according to Rafal. He would let the press think what they wanted to hear, however. “Yes, sadly some people don’t want to let the past go. Our regulations on naval armaments are being enforced safely and peacefully.”

Next question, the Oz Inquirer, about the recent recall of magical gold from the currency supply “Yes, we are attempting to insure that nobody can tamper with or distribute counterfeit currency. We have new, larger minting operations ongoing in Kingdom Kyrgios that should pick up the shortfall soon.”

Next question, from… someone new? Wearing a shimmering shawl that just drew the eyes to it, they spoke “King Artri, any comment on the recent suppression of rumors that there has been movement back in the Blue Forest? The Royal Rot is requesting a comment on know why Rafal’s Bookbinders have raided three small publishers in the last week for publishing stories of the area.”

The crowd went silent. Nobody had heard of the Royal Rot since his Grandfather died, not openly. That vile publication had been disbanded, and it’s founders rightfully investigated for fraud.

Artri grew hot with anger, and snapped at the young reporter. “You would associate yourself with such a disreputable name and ask me slanderous questions? You think I would suppress information? Guards, hold them for questioning!”

The reporter vanished, just as the crowd turned to grab them. A teleportation hex? He’d have to have the guards investigate more. His fists balled in anger, Artri forced his voice calm. “No more questions today. Tonight we feast in celebration!”

He turned and stormed off into the castle. Call him a tyrant, the sheer nerve...
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.
Pages: 1 [2]