Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Armories of Valturia: Fabrique Riviere Thread  (Read 6863 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Armories of Valturia: Fabrique Riviere Thread
« on: October 18, 2020, 03:42:19 am »

Armories of Valturia: Fabrique Riviere Thread

Fabrique Riviere occupies a set of manufacturing on both sides of a river, a few miles walk into the forested wilderness of Valturia. Once, wooden water wheels powered lumber mills, as well as lathes and table saws for building furniture. Now, a set of steel wheels turn an electic generator which provides power to the machines. Still, Valturian lumber has been unable to compete against the logging operations of larger (and flatter) countries, so Fabrique Riviere has turned to other products. An assembly line churns out simplistic trapdoor rifles, black powder caplocks which are one step above muzzle-loaders.

The company's owner, Henri Philippe-Nicolet, sits you all down around a campfire beside cords of timber. He's getting some dirt on his suit, but this isn't the first time. "I'll be honest, we've almost run out of money. These rifles we've been manufacturing kept us afloat for a while, but they're just too outdated now." There are groans all around. "But I've got good news! The crown has given us a grant. They've already given us some money to stay afloat, and they'll help us re-tool too. We've just got to come up with some better guns- more modern ones." One of the workers asked, "The crown? Does the royal guard even buy enough to justify tooling?" Henri replied: "Not for the crown. They're paying us just to make guns for export. I think we're due to become an empire again."

The Fabrique Riviere company starts with the following assets:
The Camp Riviere has space for 2 assembly lines.
The Crown has pledged to pay the expenses of tooling the first assembly line.
You've received promisory notes, and after paying debts, have 55 Credits.

Here is a link to the main thread.
Remember: If you've joined another company, you should not be reading this thread, as design plans are confidential.

Fabrique Rivier starts with the following designs:
-Riviere 11mm Cartridge: A rimmed cartridge with a center primer and pointed bullets. The case is 50mm in length, and straight. Not extremely powerful but decent ballistics thanks to its shape.
-Riviere 1885: A single-shot rifle, which loads from a trap-door breech, in which the breech block flips up above the barrel allowing a cartridge to be inserted. It has a large, visible hammer on the outside of the rifle which shows its percussion-cap origins, although it fires brass Rivier 11mm cartridges with a center primer. It has a traditional full wooden stock with very few extra fittings, except for a range-adjustable sight on a sliding rear track, with a front bead sight. Aside from the stock, quality of the parts is somewhat poor, although its simple design makes it reliable. Its achilles heel is that the hammer can easily be damage when the gun is dropped. By 1910 standards, range and accuracy are subpar. Costs 16 credits per batch.

It is now 1910, Drawing Phase
Look at the contracts in the main thread, and choose one to target. You will need to design a gun to submit for one or more of them. Normally you may decide whether to make multiple actions in a phase, but I strongly recommend only making one design at first. Propose a design, and vote to decide the best choice. Once you see the results, you will have an opportunity to revise it, or wait until the bidding phase, when you can put a price on your product and submit it for field trials.

Remember your design should include the proposed goals of the gun, as well as its operating mechanism and cartridge, and any special features. If you need to design a cartridge, specify the shape of the bullet, rim or rimless, and the size either in exact measurements or in general (EG, a small rifle cartridge, a large pistol cartridge). Unique among Valturian companies, Fabrique Rivier starts with a gun design ready to sell, consider if you wish to submit it for any contracts, and if you want to revise it first.

For the first turn only, you may rename your company! Vote on a name you like. If you agree on a logo as well, that will be added to this post.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 04:10:44 am by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Armories of Valturia: Fabrique Riviere Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 03:52:37 am »

Why are we sometimes Rivier and other times Riviere?  I bet those Prykanbul motherfuckers stole our 'e' >:(

I vote we change our name to "Febreqe Reveere", to show the other companies we are not to be fucked with. 

Alternatively, "Happy Crab Firearms LLC" would be an acceptable name, as would "Al-Fahad Firearm and Home Safety Inc."

If none of those names are acceptable, we could simplify our name to something consumers would find easier: perhaps simply "Rivier Firearms"?  Dare I say, embrace the loss of the 'e'? It would be one less letter to stamp into our guns, which over the course of 30 years could accumulate into literally dozens of saved man-hours!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 04:14:35 am by evictedSaint »

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 10:56:23 am »

I believe that we should embrace our heritage, and keep the name of Fabrique Riviere. If we must change the name, then it should be something that implies sophistication and class; perhaps 'Riviere Munitions'.

As for strategy, the easiest thing to do would be to dump our current rifles onto the Vostoys, but I believe it would be better to try and shake our reputation for low-quality weapons and go for a higher-prestige contract like the Rutz carbine.
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 12:41:19 pm »

Hmm, we could do the revolutionary army rifle contract with just our starter gun but it provides less money and prestige but is more stable or we could go for our tries at a carbine, lever-action are interesting compared bolt-action because they can utilize rimmed cartridges effectively. Only single-shot guns can be made easily to use rimmed, bolt-action for instance is more easier to design with, as well as lever-action were iconically and much easier to utilize for horseback and the only main problem I think for the Carbine Contract is the stopping power of our 11x50mm?, the .44 was actually a 11m caliber, however it was bottleneck and rimmed, are cartridge is straight so there may be unforeseen consequences with a straight bullet in a tubular magazine. Maybe just try and make a bolt-action carbine with our rimmed cartridge?

As for economics, it would take us 20 monies to get 1 design this turn, and a second design this turn would bump that to 50, also it takes an additional Revision to be able to utilize that cartridge as well?, so doing two designs such as getting another more modernized cartridge along with a gun to go along with it for this turn should be pretty unfeasible.

Quote from: Synopsis of a Design
Lever-action 7-round tubular magazine repeating carbine utilizing Riverie 11x50mm Cartridge on a wooden body and stock with fixed-post front iron sights, being a carbine it has a shortened barrel (46cm) and the gun’s length is shortened compared to rifle contemporaries to serve its role as a carbine

This basically gives me the idea of just designing a new cartridge this turn (making sure it’s bottlenecked and rimless) and just doing the Revolutionary Army contract with our starter guns? Thank you for reading my Ted Talk

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 12:51:47 pm »

One thing thing we could do is design the carbine for the horse lads, and just drop a revision on the single-shot to make it acceptableish for the revolutionaries. We don’t really need to make it fucking stellar for them, because they’re going to buy a bunch of guns dirt cheap from multiple suppliers, we only need to be acceptable enough for them to buy a batch or two — and considering they want stuff that’s cheap, if we revise the gun to be tougher then what we have is pretty damn good for them.

TheFantasticMsFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Ckk Ckk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 01:12:45 pm »

Quote from: FR No. 1.a Carbine "Nueveau"

The No. 1.a Carbine "Nueveau" is meant to be a mid-line carbine option for cavalry units or infantry who do not want a full-length rifle. It is a lever-action carbine firing 11x50mm Riviere from a 5 round en-bloc clip, with extra material added to the bolt to ensure safety when firing. The sighting for the carbine is a sliding open notch system. The wooden furniture of the carbine is nicely finished, with checkering on the grip and forestock to assist in handling while on horseback. The proof seal "FR" is stamped on the top of the receiver as well as on the stock's brass buttplate. The cost of the carbine is intended to be roughly 18 to 19 Credits.

I think the above is a solid competitor for the cavalry order. The lever action combined with en bloc makes operation and reloading on horseback more feasible than a bolt action or tube fed lever action. The cartridge is good enough to use, powerful enough to yeet a horse but not over powered. Open sights are cheaper to make than our current sights and easier to use for non precision work, another benefit on horseback. And as it is a carbine, we can get lower cost than a full rifle just due to less material.

We cannot do a tube magazine fed lever action rifle as we have pointed bullets with center primers. The odds of a magazine detonation are far too high.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 01:30:13 pm by TheFantasticMsFox »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 01:15:26 pm »

A lever action carbine isn't a bad idea.  I also think powder has the right idea, we should revise our existing shotgun to be acceptablish for the revolutionaries.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 01:32:35 pm »

I motion that we change our name to Fabrique Rivière, to fit the conventions of our most glorious language.

Also, here's a logo very shoddily edited from the Coat of Arms of the French Third Republic, both with and without transparency. I don't particularly like the former, because it also makes the white on the French company flag transparent.

Spoiler: Large Images (click to show/hide)

Avanti!

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 01:34:44 pm »

Unfortunately, line costs prevent us from both making a line and doing design work this time - we can only satisfy one contract this turn. However, I think we should still build a carbine and revise our gun, as we can submit for both contracts. However, as we have 2 drawing phases, we can just see if we need to revise the carbine or don't want to blow the action economy.

Also, I second Doubloon's proposal.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 01:40:19 pm »

I motion that we change our name to Fabrique Rivière, to fit the conventions of our most glorious language.

No. I'm not gonna copy-paste that e every time I want to type our name.  Simplicity is best - I like Iridiums idea, but I also want to drop the extra e.

"Rivier Munitions"

Or even just "Fabrique Rivier"

Also, we START with an assembly line already, which is nice.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 01:44:26 pm by evictedSaint »

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2020, 01:57:00 pm »

Setting up a couple of voteboxes. I've tried to record everything that we've agreed on so far, but I've probably got a couple of opinions wrong, so feel free to correct.

Quote from: Draw Phase 1, 1910
Riviere Nouveau 1910: (1) Iridium
Unnamed Carbine Design: (0)

Quote from: Name Change
Keep Name: (1) Iridium
Fabrique Rivière: (2) Doubloon Seven, Powder Miner
Rivier Munitions: (1) evictedSaint

Quote from: Logo
Modified French Third Republic Crest: (2) Iridium, Doubloon Seven
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2020, 02:00:44 pm »

Riviere Nouveau 1910: (2) Iridium, eS

Keep Name: (2) Iridium, eS
Rivier Munitions: (0)

Modified French Third Republic Crest: (3) Iridium, Doubloon Seven, eS

Would it be possible to make the Nouveau cheaper? I'd love to lean into our cost-effective reputation.  Could we also specify the wooden grips are countoured for easy bracing while riding?

TheFantasticMsFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Ckk Ckk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2020, 02:42:23 pm »

Riviere Nouveau 1910: (3) Iridium, eS, TFF

Keep Name: (3) Iridium, eS, TFF

Modified French Third Republic Crest: (4) Iridium, Doubloon Seven, eS, TFF

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2020, 03:30:29 pm »

Riviere Nouveau 1910: (4) Iridium, eS, TFF, UristMcRiley

Keep Name: (4) Iridium, eS, TFF, UristMcRiley

Modified French Third Republic Crest: (5) Iridium, Doubloon Seven, eS, TFF, UristMcRiley

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2020, 04:35:31 pm »

Riviere Nouveau 1910: (5) Iridium, eS, TFF, UristMcRiley, Powder Miner

Keep Name: (4) Iridium, eS, TFF, UristMcRiley

Modified French Third Republic Crest: (6) Iridium, Doubloon Seven, eS, TFF, UristMcRiley, Powder Miner
carbin
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8