Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Necromancer immigrants?  (Read 1546 times)

Urist McSober

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Necromancer immigrants?
« on: October 15, 2020, 04:08:25 pm »

The second immigrant that showed up in my game was a Potash Maker Necromancer. Had the necromancer icon (Ñ) Other than that, just a normal dwarf. Does he do anything?
Mine collapse? What mine collapse?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancer immigrants?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 04:54:55 pm »

Station him in your corpse pile and find out...

It's a bug/unintended feature since the Villains release. When attacked they'll raise the dead. This can be handy (dead dwarves back to work tirelessly for you), or not, zombie animals and enemies are trying to kill us, aaaarggh. Raising a zombie doesn't guarantee it's loyalty. Generally if it's raised as an intelligent undead, it'll retain whatever loyalty it had in life. If it's a regular zombie though, it'll want to eat living brains as soon as possible.

So...fun, Fun or just drop the guy in the magma pit for a safe, boring life.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 04:57:02 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 04:59:31 pm »

The second immigrant that showed up in my game was a Potash Maker Necromancer. Had the necromancer icon (Ñ) Other than that, just a normal dwarf. Does he do anything?
He may raise some corpses and intelligent undead - first are bad, as they'll kill your Dwarves, second depends on whether they're ally or enemy. If they're ally, great, you can now resurrect anyone who isn't 'mangled' as a super-powerful undead soldier (though you can't assign them labours, IIRC). If they're an enemy unit or such, you've now got a super-powerful enemy. Bottom line: be careful.

EDIT: ninja'd by Shonai
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

KevinM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 02:01:52 pm »

Check out the other Necromancer immigrant threads for more details.
We talk about Necromancers having to be forced to drink and the troubles that happen if they accumulate too many negative thoughts.
Vampires seem to be less troublesome than Necromancers from my last dealing with one, but it's likely that it's situational.  My Vampire would do work, but my necromancer got into a mediocre tantrum situation due to mood issues.
However, keeping them penned up together worked out fairly well, and I'd drop off alcohol and switch them out playing bartender to force each other to drink.