Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia 26 - Game over! Town victory  (Read 30077 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia 26 - Game over! Town victory
« Reply #540 on: November 12, 2020, 10:24:18 am »

Yeah, finding out that rose actually didn't try to kill webadict N2 threw me.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: November 12, 2020, 10:32:02 am »

Yeah, finding out that rose actually didn't try to kill webadict N2 threw me.
Ironically, rose, if you had investigated Persus13 on N2 and claimed it, you would probably have been able to make it to D4 or later.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: November 12, 2020, 11:37:15 am »

Yeah, probably the best survival strategy would have been investigate Persus13 N2, and then claim it immediately D3 while calling for a mass-claim.

Mass claim is generally the best shot town has when down to 1 dopp, and usually happens, so by being very pro-town and upfront about it as scum you give yourself some cover to try and buy time to win.

I'm not sure you could have won given the situation, but you certainly could have gotten at least to day 4 and maybe 5 before you got lynched by some clever use of the knowledge you have. Especially since, once the town starts full claiming, it's easier to just lie as a dopp detective and say stuff like 'Yeah, I checked so-and-so and they are what they claim' when you actually did a kill.

I donno, I did do exactly that. With Caz. With Tric. Didn't work. Not even D4.

The issue here wasn't that you tried to do exactly that, it's that you tried to do that after everyone else had already been doing a mass-claim but before you volunteered your info. If you had been an early part of the mass-claim with actual new info you'd have seemed town.

Once the mass claim is over, no one expects the Detective to have new info other than to attempt to catch scum in a lie. Which is why you can lie about what you do while actually killing people.

But by waiting to say that you're a detective until after everyone else had already claimed, you gave up your chance to show that you're pro-town and looked more like a dopp that had failed the kill instead of someone who legitimately did an investigation.

I get that reading is slow for you and can miss stuff. That makes this harder, for sure. I'd recommend keeping a notepad or spreadsheet with the players and what roles they claim or have others report that they have. Including stuff like a sneak or reporting saying that so-and-so left their house or visited x. This is both a good practice in general, but it also means you can focus your skimming on that information first. It's critical to know, both for town and scum, and is the type of stuff that can come back and bite you if you miss it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Hero Saga Setup: 97%. Other stuff Paused.
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #543 on: November 12, 2020, 02:08:04 pm »

The issue here wasn't that you tried to do exactly that, it's that you tried to do that after everyone else had already been doing a mass-claim but before you volunteered your info. If you had been an early part of the mass-claim with actual new info you'd have seemed town.

Once the mass claim is over, no one expects the Detective to have new info other than to attempt to catch scum in a lie. Which is why you can lie about what you do while actually killing people.

But by waiting to say that you're a detective until after everyone else had already claimed, you gave up your chance to show that you're pro-town and looked more like a dopp that had failed the kill instead of someone who legitimately did an investigation.
I feel like I was the first to start claiming, maybe quote timestamps would be good.

Your claiming style was incredibly anti-Town. If you wanted to withhold info to prove people, it would not have been possible in your case because you were suspicious. I tried to reiterate that so you would understand that you were in deep trouble.
I still don't think I understand why you believed I was suspicious. I have to assume it was because I didn't know your role. Care to reiterate?

Being Town isn't enough to be indispensable.
Ick.

I get that reading is slow for you and can miss stuff. That makes this harder, for sure. I'd recommend keeping a notepad or spreadsheet with
  • the players and what roles they claim
  • or have others report that they have.
  • Including stuff like a sneak or reporting saying that so-and-so left their house or visited x.
This is both a good practice in general, but it also means you can focus your skimming on that information first. It's critical to know, both for town and scum, and is the type of stuff that can come back and bite you if you miss it.
Noted.

1. Roseheart's role is a much more powerful scum role than Juicebox's, so if Roseheart was scum it would make sense why the telepath was performing the NK (as compared to, say, someone like you, whose role requires no actions and would thus be a preferable killer for the dopps)
2. Roseheart refuses to provide N2 results as a role whose results are now irrelevant, which smacks of a scum who can't come up with a good fakeclaim (if I was roseheart I would have claimed investigating Caz)

This cracked me up, because I did investigate Caz, I just didn't feel it was pro-town out a Detective.

What ever Wolf was trying to peddle had nothing to do with me. And the truth would eventually set me free. (actually, no it did not)
Awesome With Autism
Currently listening to: Goldeneye Menu

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #544 on: November 12, 2020, 02:15:25 pm »

I did believe my making claims that I could back up would be received totally differently. Instead of a scummy red flag, it would be taken as removing my ability to win a Dopp, because I'd need to back it up or be lynched.

Edit: I thought people would say,"Ok, let's see if he can back up his claims and provide a good reason for stalling tomorrow, if not, we lynch him!"

Edit2:

I wont accept "they are clear, because you are not", because that would be spiteful on my part.
You have no reason to hide anything.

This felt like a really 2 dimensional claim. Protecting someone else, or a higher value detail seems like great reasons to hide something. Oy vey, alas I was scum, but even in my case if I was town I think I was hiding something protown. It wasn't something I fully understood at the time though.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 02:22:20 pm by roseheart »
Awesome With Autism

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: November 12, 2020, 02:19:46 pm »

C'est la vie, such is Wine.

Trying to get results in future days when you had two nights. But at this point, it was already over due to how things fell. I did give you a push to break through webadict to escape your fate. You could have attempted to push me. But that's how it ended.

I kinda have a hankering for ponies and BYOR soon. (Maybe webadict can run one.)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #546 on: November 12, 2020, 02:28:35 pm »

I think there are two kinds of Mafia, a shark, and a spider. A spider cultivates theories, a shark goes undetected. Because of the way people play here, the spider playstyle is optimal, but that isn't the only viable approach elsewhere.

Edit: A spider has the risk of getting tangled in it's webs. That's why I avoid it.

Edit2: And, as Web pointed out, the shark risks not standing out in a good way. I looked town, just not "indispensable".

There were messages of doubt up until the the final moments I will cherish.

I'm afraid that the suspicious eyes are on you. You are not alone in your climb, but you will start out at rock bottom, and the hands that lower down to you cannot always be trusted. It is you who must make the climb, for I am your gatekeeper.
Make no mistake, I am not your enemy. But, neither am I your friend. Push past me, and you may succeed. Make no move...

And you will starve, beast.

Shorten   

...let’s hope all this end tonight.

So far, you are dead set on not being lynched, but you refuse to use your potential Town-confirmedness to actually find Dopp. If you are Town, you should be using your final moments to tell us who might be scum, not on convincing us to not lynch you. You should resign yourself to your fate. You kinda have to accept that it will probably happen unless something new happens that makes someone more scummy.

That's why you have to find the last Doppelganger. Because if it's not you, then that is still your goal. And if it is you, then you need to make one. Those are your two options.

If it's any help, your death is not in vain.."

Edit3(added quotes): My playstyle may not have been effective, but I played it well. Who knew these humans were so ready to sacrifice without being sure? You got me there.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 02:52:01 pm by roseheart »
Awesome With Autism

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: November 12, 2020, 02:32:02 pm »

There is also the Fool, who one can't predict due to always looking scummy. They tend to be one of the first to go. are they scum, or just bad town?

I think DualAcademy was more sharks than spiders though.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: November 12, 2020, 02:38:02 pm »

Setting aside everything else because I’m at work, the detective had already outed. Perhaps Caz hadn’t said the exact words “I’m a detective” on D2 but they literally said “no, Juicebox, you’re not a vig, you’re a telepath” which was the second nail in juice’s coffin. Everyone already knew what Caz’s role was because only a detective could have known that factoid prior to the flip (or an alien, but that’s a super out there interpretation of what Caz did).

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #549 on: November 12, 2020, 02:54:50 pm »

Webadict.

Web addict, internet dependent,

but also

Web addict, lies/conspiracies/theories dependent.

Web
Awesome With Autism

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: November 12, 2020, 02:59:34 pm »

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #551 on: November 12, 2020, 03:04:22 pm »

Setting aside everything else because I’m at work, the detective had already outed. Perhaps Caz hadn’t said the exact words “I’m a detective” on D2 but they literally said “no, Juicebox, you’re not a vig, you’re a telepath” which was the second nail in juice’s coffin. Everyone already knew what Caz’s role was because only a detective could have known that factoid prior to the flip (or an alien, but that’s a super out there interpretation of what Caz did).
Not everyone.

This was not a tactical misstep on my part, which is the only real useful thing to talk about.

This was my overlooking that information entirely. For perspective on the choices I was making, at the time.
Awesome With Autism

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #552 on: November 12, 2020, 03:05:24 pm »

Awesome With Autism

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: November 12, 2020, 03:07:11 pm »

C'est la vie, such is Wine.

Trying to get results in future days when you had two nights. But at this point, it was already over due to how things fell. I did give you a push to break through webadict to escape your fate. You could have attempted to push me. But that's how it ended.

I kinda have a hankering for ponies and BYOR soon. (Maybe webadict can run one.)
I would love to run a BYOR. I could also run an open setup or even something else, if people wanted to. Vote Mafia, DF Mafia, Sprg [Of] Hate, or something else. I miss running games, and I have a bit of time what with Covid.

I'll post it as an option in the Games Queue.

Webadict.

Web addict, internet dependent,

but also

Web addict, lies/conspiracies/theories dependent.

Web
That's my secret, rose. I'm always roleplaying.

I am the spider whose web catches flies. Words like silk and poison. You may see that my hands are empty, but the other six are out of sight and out of mind.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: November 12, 2020, 04:14:36 pm »

Bastard Paranormal 3 is up in sign-ups for anyone who wants to join in one that.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38