Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Small fonts becoming blurred on maximization  (Read 696 times)

Sugardust

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Dyer
    • View Profile
Small fonts becoming blurred on maximization
« on: October 22, 2020, 04:18:38 pm »

Howdy. Had a look around here on the forum and I'm not sure where to get help for this issue to be honest so I hope someone here can help me out.

I have a couple smallish tilesets that look great and are fine in the default window size that Dwarf Fortress opens at, but upon maximizing the window, they become rather blurred and unreadable. Here is an example:

Spoiler: Default Window Size (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Maximized Window Size (click to show/hide)

This happens with a number of other smaller fonts I have and I haven't been able to fix it unfortunately. For reference I'm using DFHack with TWBT but I'm not sure if that would have any effect on it. Any help would be very appreciated, thanks guys.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Small fonts becoming blurred on maximization
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 04:43:50 pm »

Looks like aliasing (and interference from antialiasing) to me. Due to the "pixel" style of the font, when scaled by a non-integral factor it's getting mapped onto the screen's pixel grid poorly. This is something you should most likely deal with by not maximising the window, honestly; there's no really good answer if your font lines end up being 1.5 theoretical pixels wide or such. (You can turn off antialiasing in your graphics card settings, and then it won't make the pixels partly transparent to compensate so it will look less blurry, but it'll still be uneven and weird.) Instead, scale it in such a way that each line wants to be a clean integer number of pixels.

Buuuuuut, I have to admit I find that font hideous in both pictures so I might not even be seeing the same issue you are.