Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How should I go about troubleshooting and reporting a consistent crash?  (Read 1180 times)

daishi5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have a world that is consistently crashing after a seasonal save, and this is my third world that is dying from regular crashes.  This latest world normally within a month from the latest save, but it has gotten as far as 3 months.

The last message in the errorlog.txt are:
loop path fail: <same square> dwarf,Store Item in Bin,67,92,51 -> 63,51,52: Id #1004:Path Goal Seek Item for Storage:Station Mill Building at 58,88,50
loop path fail: <same square> dog,72,92,51 -> 68,93,51: Id #7075:Path Goal Seek Station:Station Milling Flood at 68,94,51
loop path fail: <same square> dwarf,47,94,49 -> 42,81,49: Id #1429:Path Goal Seek Station:Station Mill Building at 57,87,50
loop path fail: <same square> dwarf,54,104,50 -> 55,103,50: Id #381:Path Goal Performance:Station Mill Building at 49,115,49

So I tried disabling all mill jobs, still crashes.

I tried disabling all workshop jobs, still crashes.

I am using the lazy newb pack.  I have tried disabling DFHack, still crashed.

I see a few crash bugs in Mantis.

I see this one is easy to check for:
https://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=11014
None of my squads have been sent on raids, and none of my dwarves have weird items in their equipment lists.

I see a few other crashes, but I don't see how I can tell if my crash is related to those or something new.

What other steps can I try to save the world at this point, and what else should I do before submitting my save as a crash bug?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: How should I go about troubleshooting and reporting a consistent crash?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 11:59:50 pm »

Posting to watch and learn. There are common causes for crashes which you can check with DFHack, though I don't know how to do it myself. Someone else will likely enlighten both of us.

I would have guessed the equipment crash, but it seems you've already checked that out.

The errorlog messages look like pathing errors to me, which aren't causing the crash. In my experience, real CTDs don't get anything in the error log.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 04:14:30 am »

The most common crash cause is equipment corruption. Since I've suffered from it myself without any raiding (or even ability to raid, due to the playing of a dead civ), I know raiding isn't the only cause.
It's unclear from the description if the check was done correctly, as it's not a matter of looking at what militia is equipped with, but checking what the game think they could be equipped with. Looking for that in a vanilla game involved bringing up any squad member and check the specific equipment list for each category of equipment (boots, helmet, weapon, etc.). Corrupted equipment is show as nonsensical items in one or more of those list. Typically those items are "books" that sit at the end or near the end of lists.

Using DFHack (which is included with the LNP), this script can detect and possibly correct corruption:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In at least one case purged lists became corrupted again a month or so later, resulting in the need for an additional sweep.

Another known cause of crashes is weres giving birth to the "non existent" gender while turned (weres have only one gender, so when the game tries to assign the second one it crashes).

There's also a zero size critter bug, where DF generates critters (often baby ones) of a size that gets rounded/truncated to an integer size of 0. These critters can apparently exist causing no harm, but if they happen to get involved in some calculations in DF the game crashes (division by zero is not a good thing).

There are additional reasons for crashing, but many cases don't have any identified cause.

I'd suggest uploading the save to DFFD https://dffd.bay12games.com/ and filing a bug report on the bug tracker https://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/login_page.php.

daishi5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 10:28:15 am »

The most common crash cause is equipment corruption. Since I've suffered from it myself without any raiding (or even ability to raid, due to the playing of a dead civ), I know raiding isn't the only cause.
It's unclear from the description if the check was done correctly, as it's not a matter of looking at what militia is equipped with, but checking what the game think they could be equipped with. Looking for that in a vanilla game involved bringing up any squad member and check the specific equipment list for each category of equipment (boots, helmet, weapon, etc.). Corrupted equipment is show as nonsensical items in one or more of those list. Typically those items are "books" that sit at the end or near the end of lists.

I checked the boots and weapons making sure the lists made sense, but I will make sure I go through all of it.

How do I upload a save, just zip the whole region folder?

Edit: script returned no errors so it looks like its not the equipment bug.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 10:38:56 am by daishi5 »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 11:14:10 am »

Yes, you zip up the regionX folder, as you suggested.

daishi5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 01:59:54 pm »

Good news, I may have found away around the crash, I was always putting my dwarves in an alert mode when the siege came at the beginning of the year. 

Before I submitted the bug, I tried the save again, just loading it and doing nothing to make sure it actually crashed when I did nothing at all, and this time it didn't crash.

Nevermind it crashed again while typing this up, at least that may provide more information about the cause of the crash.  It may be related to some job.

I am submitting the save along with the steps I have normally taken that cause the crash.  https://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=11638

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 06:13:53 pm »

I'll mess about with the save and see if I can avoid the crash - which might tell us something. Hopefully you don't need to abandon your fortress because of this.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2020, 10:51:48 pm »

Might be the off-site werewolf pregnancy crash. This can be fixed by erasing the offending historical figure with DFHack, though I'm not 100% sure how to find them. Does it crash during a full moon?