Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I figure out what is crashing my game when there is no error log?  (Read 3063 times)

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In Dwarf Mode, after a few minutes of play I keep getting a crash. It's a new fort in a new world. No error log. I'm using the newest version of the LNP on windows 10. I have slightly modified the raws but nothing major, mostly just added new races to the entities (Mnt Gnomes to Dwarf civ, etc.) I don't know what to do with no information. Where do you start?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: How do I figure out what is crashing my game when there is no error log?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 09:42:08 pm »

These two threads might be helpful. I'd recommend zipping up a copy of this world as it might have useful information in bug testing.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177329.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177401.0

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 12:05:08 am »

Thanks for the links. I looked at the first one already and I don't think it's the same issue, because I've been doing some experimenting. This is a brand new embark so I thought of some ways to test things. There are only 3 tasks right now- digging, moving everything to an 'all' stockpile, and gathering plants in a zone outside the entrance.

1. I loaded the fort and let it go with a stopwatch running, in about 2.5 mins it crashed.
2. I loaded it again and put everyone in a burrow, no crash at 2.5 mins so I let them out of the burrow, within another 2 mins it crashed.
3. I loaded it again and disabled the zone, it crashed in about the same amount of time.
4. I cancelled the mining but left the zone and stockpile. crashed in about 3 mins
5. Immediately crashed before unpausing when I used the F1 hotkey (wtf?)
6. Set a burrow over the wagon & add everyone to it intending to let go indefinitely this time and crashed within seconds of unpausing...
7. Same as 6, at least it's consistent...
8. disabled the stockpile and did nothing else, ran for over ten mins without issue before I stopped it to try something else
9. Set Burrow over wagon, add everyone to it and disable stockpile, crash within seconds
10. Set zone to inactive, cancel the mining, leave stockpile on- crashed at 7 minutes
11. Set zone to inactive, cancel the mining, disable stockpile. no crash.

So as far as I can tell it looks like two things are crashing it, burrowing everyone over the wagon will for unknown reasons and the stockpile is the second cause.

I've never raided in this world so it can't be equipment corruption, and the date is inconsistent so it's not a birth bug. I tried the fix-equipment script anyway it didn't do anything. I looked through my stocks and there is nothing unusual in there that might cause an issue.

I posted the save if anyone wants to look at it. I guess tomorrow I can try changing the stockpile settings to narrow it from here.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 01:16:39 am »

Try turning off all labors. It could be something with trying to grab an object from the wagon (equipment for woodcutting/mining might cause the equipment crash, but maybe drinking/eating? Dunno.) otherwise try forbidding groups of items from the wagon and see if that stops the crash.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 04:14:14 pm »

Trying again

1. I forbid everything except the picks, axes and alcohol, it crashed as soon as I unpaused.
2. Clear all labors, unpause, F1 to wagon, crash. Hotkey crash?
3. F1 to wagon first, no crash. then remove all labors and unpause, immediate crash.
4. Clear labors, in DT, touch nothing in game, unpause.. a few minutes later I get a notification about strikin opal. I looked around and everyone was working like normal, digging and hauling, then crash.
5. Autolabor off, clear labors, unpause. no crash
6. Autodump destroy everything at the wagon. enable autolabor, crash in 3 mins
7. add max barrels to stockpile. 2.5 min crash
8. make stockpile just food. crash in 4.5 mins
9. repeat 8 to time it, crash in 4 mins
10. disable food from stockpile. crash in 1 mins. 

I give up, this is way too much work and I'm clearly not going to be able to play.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 03:10:34 am »

Is TWBT's multi z-level rendering enabled? Try disabling that.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 02:28:17 pm »

Yes it was enabled. Disabled it and ran the fort with no other changes and got no crash after 10 mins, hurrah. At that point tried the hotkey again for the heck of it and crash.

What is the deal with the hotkey causing a crash!? I've never encountered this in past forts.

el Indio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2020, 09:38:34 pm »

Yes it was enabled. Disabled it and ran the fort with no other changes and got no crash after 10 mins, hurrah. At that point tried the hotkey again for the heck of it and crash.

What is the deal with the hotkey causing a crash!? I've never encountered this in past forts.

I was also getting crashes so I tried disabling multilevel rendering.  I'm not sure how well that has worked because I now notice that it crashes crash upon using the F1 key.  I could use the F1 key at the beginning of the fort.

Edit:  It's not just the hotkey causing the crash, going up through the z-levels manually causes a crash when I reach the level containing the wagon (where the hotkey would zoom to).
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 10:06:18 pm by el Indio »

el Indio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2020, 04:47:56 am »

I fixed the constant crashing by changing the tileset I was using to Phoebus. 

The tileset i used whilst the game was crashing was Meph. 

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2020, 12:48:13 pm »

That's interesting, I'm using Meph/Vordak. I'll see if changing it helps.

Nilsolm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2020, 05:08:07 am »

I seem to remember that one of the TWBT options causes the game to crash semi-randomly on Windows. I think it was redraw_all. Some tilesets come with that option enabled by default. If you're experiencing seemingly random crashes, that might also be one of the possible reasons.

DontMineYellowSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2020, 01:32:26 pm »

I seem to remember that one of the TWBT options causes the game to crash semi-randomly on Windows. I think it was redraw_all. Some tilesets come with that option enabled by default. If you're experiencing seemingly random crashes, that might also be one of the possible reasons.

This helps immensely.  When I start a new fort, I set this option immediately now.  It causes some strange tiles once in a while but nothing awful.  This usually keeps me going for a while.  Eventually I get crashes even with this and I turn off multilevel.  That keeps me going for a while longer.  Eventually I get crashes again and have to switch to a new graphics pack that doesn't use TWBT at all once the crashes become too severe.  And then I can play out the rest of the game without significant crashing.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2020, 06:21:28 pm »

switching off the meph tileset seems to have stopped the crash, for now at least.

Update - I played for about 4 hours without a crash after switching tilesets and no other changes.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 12:35:05 am by Pillbo »

DontMineYellowSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2020, 12:55:07 pm »

switching off the meph tileset seems to have stopped the crash, for now at least.

Update - I played for about 4 hours without a crash after switching tilesets and no other changes.

Yep, that does it.  The downside is nobody else's looks as good, in my opinion.  But some are more than passable.  I think its TWBT, not Meph's tileset, that causes the crashes but the two work together so it doesn't really matter which causes it.

For what its worth, Meph has his own DF Masterwork package that I have found to be more stable than the Dwarf Fortress as packaged with the LNP or Peridex.  And it still has his awesome visuals.  It changes the gameplay quite a bit and has its own set of issues in addition to running on a much older build of DF, but its a very fun package.